Bands/Artists who have songs about other Bands/Artists

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Yeah, on reflection I think you're right. Johnny Thunders responded with 'London Boys', which was about The Pistols, wasn't it?

Richard Hell - McLaren wanted him in The Pistols before Johnny turned up. Blank Generation still sounds fresh and relevant today.

Yes London Boys was about the pistols. And Richard was touted for the replacement for Johnny when he left, along with Jimmy Pursey,
In fact Jimmy did front the Pistols in a one off gig in Glasgow under the name the Sham Pistols, Steve Jones did comment working with Pursey was an absolute nightmare and as result he never got the job.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yes London Boys was about the pistols. And Richard was touted for the replacement for Johnny when he left, along with Jimmy Pursey,
In fact Jimmy did front the Pistols in a one off gig in Glasgow under the name the Sham Pistols, Steve Jones did comment working with Pursey was an absolute nightmare and as result he never got the job.

Sham 69- Hersham Boys.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Super Furry Animals - The Very Best of Neil Diamomd
Primal Scream - Motörhead

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My all time favourite name checking tune has to be this. Bit of a reggae history lesson in some ways:

[yt]kZ8rpg6p9l8[/yt]

This fits the thread title nicely:

[yt]YEnEbCkWSu0[/yt]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Almost forgot. This is almost a UK version of Papa San's DJ business. I loved that Club Mix programme that this clip is from:

[yt]s9R6lDzarC4[/yt]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sod it, if you can't sleep might as well do a thread take over :wink:

All the songs and artists name checked in the tune above. Except Tippa Irie.

[yt]hWqOm3ZfZQU[/yt]

[yt]r98s1uq5iLI[/yt]

[yt]rX6bEqKhi38[/yt]

[yt]5lbfW6QkzJo[/yt]

[yt]puAp2V0OJII[/yt]

[yt]8D9L8z0ie7A[/yt]

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Heaps of hip hop / dance acts have attribute song name checking all their heroes and influences but I don't think anyone's mentioned Pavement's Range Life which checks Stone Temple Pilots and Smashing Pumpikins. Also LCD Soundsytem did this on lots of tracks......

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Oh Carol by Neil Sedaka / Oh Neil by Carole King
American Pie has loads of (alleged) references, Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, The Big Bopper, Jagger, Dylan etc

I.C.B by New Order and A Day Without Me by U2 are both supposedly about, or dedications to, Ian Curtis
Durutti Column's The Missing Boy is definitely about Curtis
...And more recently Let's Dance to Joy Division by the Wombats

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Duran Duran - Michael You've Got A Lot To Answer For. About INXS singer Michael Hutchence.

Yeah.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here