Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Band name meanings/bands original names

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Jethro Tull were named after the man who invented the seed drill.

Also a close escape because Ian Anderson had considered calling the band Robin Hood.

Lynryd Skynyrd - named after one of the band's math [sic] teacher, Leonard Skinner (obviously better at maths than they were spelling).

Fairport Convention - named after Simon Nicol's parents house in North London.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - No idea where the hell they got that ridiculous name from.

Marillion - Named after the interminably boring Tolkien novel The Silmarillion.

Haze - Named after the brand of air freshener that they had to use in their rehearsal studio, due largely in part to their vegetarian diets.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I seem to recall that Ian Dury and the Blockheads were called Kilburn and the High Roads (or something like that).

That was his first band, had nominal success with "Rough Kids"

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Pearl Jam - Mookie Blaylock. Also rumoured to be named after the act of sex though probably not true.

Mother Love Bone was another earlier incarnation of Pearl Jam

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Hatfield and the North - Early 1970's progressive rock/Canterbury Scene - named after a road sign

Deacon Blue - named after a Steely Dan track, I believe.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I saw a band called The Pack support Skids in 1979. A few months later they were performing on TOTP as Theatre of Hate.

Saw the Stuart Adamson Band support Alice Cooper at the Brighton Centre in 1982, they lasted one more night and then were chucked off the tour as they were terrible. A short while later they 'became' Big Country. Saw them supporting Bowie some years later, still terrible.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am not sure if it's an urban myth, but is heard that REM's Everybody Hurts was written by michael stripe after the death of Kurt Cobain.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
U2 went under the name of Feedback early in their career too. Bono took his stage moniker from the name on the shop front of a hearing aid shop in Dublin near to where he lived, with his actual name being Paul Hewson.

Also, on the subject of original names, Queen were originally called Smile and Oasis originally went by the name of The Rain until Noel Gallagher joined the band.

Named after the Beatles B side If i am not much mistaken

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I am not sure if it's an urban myth, but is heard that REM's Everybody Hurts was written by michael stripe after the death of Kurt Cobain.

Since it was released 2 years before Cobain died, I find that a little hard to believe,.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The high numbers - The Who
North London Invaders - Madness

I believe that The High Numbers were called "The Who" originally, so it should say: The Who - High Numbers - The Who

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I believe that The High Numbers were called "The Who" originally, so it should say: The Who - High Numbers - The Who

My Bad, just seen several people who have already posted this ! Doh!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here