Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If you have no opinion and nothing to contribute to a thread take the cowards way and try unsuccessfully to take the p..s

What a very odd comment

FWIW if you look back through this thread you'll see where I have offered my opinion, and I've seen nothing further from you to suggest I need to reconsider it.

Couple of chill pills might not go amiss?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
This season, the Albion seems to have adopted a new aproach with injuries. If it's not something minor,keep the opposition in the dark about it for as long as possible. As fans, we would love to know, but it makes sense to keep our next opponents guessing who may or may not be in our team next time out.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
This season, the Albion seems to have adopted a new aproach with injuries. If it's not something minor,keep the opposition in the dark about it for as long as possible. As fans, we would love to know, but it makes sense to keep our next opponents guessing who may or may not be in our team next time out.

Yes, I had wondered this too. The injuries are initially stated as minor and then go on and on. Not a moan - I can see why they are doing it, as you suggest. May be wrong, I appreciate.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Reading have paid an up-front £2,000,000 to Watford to BORROW Vydra for the season. I'll say that again.
Reading have paid an up-front £2,000,000 to Watford to BORROW Vydra for the season.

That's before they even pay a penny in wages. I actually quite rate Vydra, but that is just crazy money to splash out to take someone on loan.
I looked at the Reading board and they are moaning about Vydra not doing enough. I like him too.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I looked at the Reading board and they are moaning about Vydra not doing enough. I like him too.

Classic loan mentality. This is what we have experienced so many times with so many of our loans. There are only a few that give 100% week in week out when they are out on loan.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I would have loved us to sign Vydra. However, the deal for him was a terrible one, almost suicidal.

2 million to sign him for 9 months. 2 million + rumoured 35K/week wages. And then give him back, 'on a free' ( as clueless palace fans would call it ).

Yes, CMS was poor value as it turned out, but at least the deal structure and financial theory was understandable.

Money well saved Tony ( and thanks for Calleri in January :wink: )

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Well after lumping £2m on him in August, they're stuck with him for the season now. And as [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] said, its very rare for a loan player to give it his all when he knows he's just passing through.

I gather Reading have an option of buying him for £10m at the end of the season if they go up (so £12m in all). That's not looking like a particularly attractive deal at the moment though.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Classic loan mentality. This is what we have experienced so many times with so many of our loans. There are only a few that give 100% week in week out when they are out on loan.

Agree ... someone on the up (Texeira type) is what's needed but so difficult to find and connections have to be good. Too many like Vydra have been there, had their chance and never really fulfilled consistently, loaned out and "freewheel" to an extent

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What a very odd comment

FWIW if you look back through this thread you'll see where I have offered my opinion, and I've seen nothing further from you to suggest I need to reconsider it.

Couple of chill pills might not go amiss?

Sorry I took your post to be a knock at me because I suggested we needed that type of player, obviously not Greaves or Ward due to age, but a player that did nothing for most of the game but still scored 1 or more goals.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I do not agree with this supposed ' loan mentality'. If like, Best, the player is naturally lazy and nearing the end of their career that is how they will be but in the main the reason for their failure is due to their ability and adapting to a different team. We had 5 last season with totally different approaches. Joe Bennett, Texieria and Darren Bent all did what was expected while here with varying degrees of succes but nothing to do with their attitude. Gary Gardner struggled playing wise to adapt but at least tried and in fact adapted better when he went to Forest.
The only dead beat waste of time with an apparent attitude was Leon Best We have had loans in the past who have been a success. All players on loan are generally trying to impress somebody either their parent club to go back or us to move on. Obviously you get players with an attitude of being too big for a team like Brighton.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Sorry I took your post to be a knock at me because I suggested we needed that type of player, obviously not Greaves or Ward due to age, but a player that did nothing for most of the game but still scored 1 or more goals.

It was supposed to be humour, no more

I do disagree with you but that's ok, I'm not saying you're thinking isn't logical just that I don't agree with it.

Everyone agrees that we need someone who can put these chances away but we're likely to only get one shot at it (excuse the pun). I haven't got a name either but (as has been said) it's unlikeley we get anyone till the New Year and when we do I can't see it being a loan for reasons that you don't agree with

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The reason I can see it being a loan is that I believe we could loan a better player than we could afford to buy. An example of this was Darren Bent we couldnt have bought him with a fee and wages etc. I know there is talk of this Calleri for £6.5m but on a recent website it said Chelsea Stoke and Inter Milan considering a bid for him. I think our chance of getting him has gone and we may be looking at another option in the same area of the world.
Realistically I cannot see us spending money like Burnley have on Gray. I believe, right or wrong, that TB put all his eggs in 1 basket with Gus and caught a cold so will be reluctant to do it again.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The reason I can see it being a loan is that I believe we could loan a better player than we could afford to buy. An example of this was Darren Bent we couldnt have bought him with a fee and wages etc. I know there is talk of this Calleri for £6.5m but on a recent website it said Chelsea Stoke and Inter Milan considering a bid for him. I think our chance of getting him has gone and we may be looking at another option in the same area of the world.

As long as they stay at the considering stage we might be ok. We're the only club who have made a bid.... so far.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Well, a pretty clear consensus that Baldock isn't likely to fire on enough cylinders to sort out our goal issues even when fit but no consensus on possible replacements or additions.

Given our current position (miraculous!?) I'd be quite happy to put some trust in CH to sort it out in January.... Let's not agonise any longer, however pleasurable it might be. Just luxuriate in the joy of not being relegation candidates again......!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here