Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cant see CH wanting to lose Crofts unless a silly offer for him comes in as he is back up to most midfield positions. Like many have said Hemed and Baldock are both playing well and working hard it is just the question of putting the ball in the net. If we coud find a Kevin Phillips, Peter Ward or Jimmy Greaves as a back up sub after 60 mins if needed problem solved. But where is there one and who?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I cant see CH wanting to lose Crofts unless a silly offer for him comes in as he is back up to most midfield positions. Like many have said Hemed and Baldock are both playing well and working hard it is just the question of putting the ball in the net. If we coud find a Kevin Phillips, Peter Ward or Jimmy Greaves as a back up sub after 60 mins if needed problem solved. But where is there one and who?

Why is it so difficult for you to understand, surefire, poaching, goal scorers aren't available in November.
They are the equivalent of hen's teeth in January, and phenomenally expensive in the Summer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do understand it but other clubs manage to get them why not us. Reading Vydra who has had a slow start but will pick up Sheff Wed GaryHooper and Forestiere as examples of fairly recent aquisitions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do understand it but other clubs manage to get them why not us. Reading Vydra who has had a slow start but will pick up Sheff Wed GaryHooper and Forestiere as examples of fairly recent aquisitions.

I will instantly concede this is lifted straight from Wiki :-

Hooper denied press reports that the move collapsed due to his demand for Sheffield Wednesday to provide him with a VIP box at their stadium for his family and friends.[121] He remained at Norwich for a few more weeks, but sustained an ankle injury in training.[122] Sheffield Wednesday made a further attempt to sign Hooper on loan, and on 27 October he agreed to join them until January 2016 for a weekly wage of £35,000.[123]

Sheffield Wednesday (loan)[edit]
Hooper made his first appearance for Sheffield Wednesday on 31 October 2015, coming on as a late substitute in a 1–0 win at home against Nottingham Forest in the Championship.[124]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whilest not wanting to pay £35k a week £140k for a months loan is a small price to pay if as suggested we are hoping to pay £6.5m + in January for a striker and he helped us win 50% of the games before January.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm going to have to tag someone else in, here.

I'm speechless with regards to justifying paying a decent chunk of £35k a week for an injured player who might have other issues and demands.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

If we could find a striker of that calibre, would they not start?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm going to have to tag someone else in, here.

I'm speechless with regards to justifying paying a decent chunk of £35k a week for an injured player who might have other issues and demands.

How injured etc is he Sheff Wed saw fit to pay it so it cant be too bad surely. Or is TB & PB extra cautious?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I know i have said it before but is James Wilson at Man U getting anywhere near there bench at present ?

I would love him on loan in January, he is the sort we need.

He must be gagging for some game time, be interested to see him for the u21s next week.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I know i have said it before but is James Wilson at Man U getting anywhere near there bench at present ?

I would love him on loan in January, he is the sort we need.

He must be gagging for some game time, be interested to see him for the u21s next week.

Why wait until January? I can think of one good reason why not to: see another 100+ page thread.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well they left Cantona (and Ginola) behind, but they had Trezeguet, Dugarry and Henry.

Dugarry was utter bobbins, Henry was a winger at that time (with this being pre-Arsenal), and Trezeguet was a youngster who'd played in the World Youth Championships only a year earlier. The other striker they had was Stephane Guivarc'h, who was basically a French Billy Paynter.

So they won a World Cup without really having a proven top quality striker. But what they did have was a Zidane, Desailly, Petit, Vieira, Lizarazu, Blanc etc which more than made up for it. Its preferable to have a 20-goal a season forward obviously, but not essential. We nearly went up in 2013 with a headless chicken up front who top-scored with 11.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Reading have paid an up-front £2,000,000 to Watford to BORROW Vydra for the season. I'll say that again.
Reading have paid an up-front £2,000,000 to Watford to BORROW Vydra for the season.

That's before they even pay a penny in wages. I actually quite rate Vydra, but that is just crazy money to splash out to take someone on loan.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Reading have paid an up-front £2,000,000 to Watford to BORROW Vydra for the season. I'll say that again.
Reading have paid an up-front £2,000,000 to Watford to BORROW Vydra for the season.

That's before they even pay a penny in wages. I actually quite rate Vydra, but that is just crazy money to splash out to take someone on loan.

What is the prize for success?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What is the prize for success?

And what is the cost of failure ?

Paying a £2m rental fee for a player that won't even be yours in a few months is all well and good if he bags you 25 goals and fires you straight up into the PL...but its a hell of a gamble. And so far, he's got 1 in 8 (against us...sigh)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And what is the cost of failure ?

Paying a £2m rental fee for a player that won't even be yours in a few months is all well and good if he bags you 25 goals and fires you straight up into the PL...but its a hell of a gamble. And so far, he's got 1 in 8 (against us...sigh)

I think in hindsight I'd rather have Vydra for a season that CMS for four seasons. Bargain when you look at it like that...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would 20,000 fans each put in £100 pounds to sign Vydra for 9 months, and then give him back for free ?

I doubt it. We really couldn't expect Tony to fund it all either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here