Baldock

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If the answer to the question is:-

Rotherham's Matt Derbyshire - we are clearly asking very, very, different questions.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its so difficult to get a quality striker in on loan that I'd be inclined to wait until January and do everything we can to land whoever that PERMANENT target is that we've been scouting, and early. Baldock and Hemed may not be scoring, but they are certainly still contributing, and there is a good spread of goals throughout the team which is keeping us well in contention.

Its refreshing to be halfway through November and NOT had to rely on any short-term loan signings, despite the injury issues we've had of late. There is a tightness and togetherness to the squad that has been forged, and I'd be loathe to alter that dynamic by bringing in a player from somebody elses stiffs, who's not been playing, in the unlikely hope of them hitting the ground running and banging in the goals.

Hughton and TB will be well aware of the shortcomings we currently have up front, but loans are rarely the answer. We're still ticking over very nicely - lets just see what they have lined up for January.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Its so difficult to get a quality striker in on loan that I'd be inclined to wait until January and do everything we can to land whoever that PERMANENT target is that we've been scouting, and early. Baldock and Hemed may not be scoring, but they are certainly still contributing, and there is a good spread of goals throughout the team which is keeping us well in contention.

Its refreshing to be halfway through November and NOT had to rely on any short-term loan signings, despite the injury issues we've had of late. There is a tightness and togetherness to the squad that has been forged, and I'd be loathe to alter that dynamic by bringing in a player from somebody elses stiffs, who's not been playing, in the unlikely hope of them hitting the ground running and banging in the goals.

Hughton and TB will be well aware of the shortcomings we currently have up front, but loans are rarely the answer. We're still ticking over very nicely - lets just see what they have lined up for January.

Obviously if Baldock is 'properly' injured the top brass will have no choice but to bring someone in, as there's no obvious replacement for SB in the squad.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Obviously if Baldock is 'properly' injured the top brass will have no choice but to bring someone in, as there's no obvious replacement for SB in the squad.

We've got a nicely timed (if mildly irritating) International break, hopefully its nothing too serious. If he is crocked though, with KLL almost ready to return I could see Murphy slotting in to the Baldock role.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Personally, I would think that Murphy could definitely play there, we have not really seen what Elvis can do yet and we have Harper and Hambo on their way back to fitness. That should be enough until January. Murphy looks like he knows where the goal is, I would try him there first.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I always see talk of this mystery 20 goal a season striker, I would prefer goals being scored from all over the pitch take for example Reading if Blackman is closed out of a game they don't score no wins in five. We don't win heavily but we win even when our strikers fail to score which is a good thing as they will come good at some point.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I always see talk of this mystery 20 goal a season striker, I would prefer goals being scored from all over the pitch take for example Reading if Blackman is closed out of a game they don't score no wins in five. We don't win heavily but we win even when our strikers fail to score which is a good thing as they will come good at some point.

Indeed. And the French won a World Cup without a striker

(but I'd still rather we spent some money in January to bring one in...)

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave

So if Leon Best was available again? :eek:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I fully understand the concern about dressing room harmony etc and wouldnt disagree but I am concerned that our good start will crumble away with more draws before January. I suggested Matt Derbyshire becuase he would be a possible cheap option. If I am honest I would sooner bring in somebody like we did with Darren Bent for a month but other than Peter Crouch cant think of somebody of similar standing to fit the bill. Obviously PC is out of the question the only other is Victor Anichebe at WBA.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I fully understand the concern about dressing room harmony etc and wouldnt disagree but I am concerned that our good start will crumble away with more draws before January. I suggested Matt Derbyshire becuase he would be a possible cheap option. If I am honest I would sooner bring in somebody like we did with Darren Bent for a month but other than Peter Crouch cant think of somebody of similar standing to fit the bill. Obviously PC is out of the question the only other is Victor Anichebe at WBA.
Well it's Tony's money, but why assume he wants a cheap option? I suspect he wants a good value option ie an option with the potential for sell on profit.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I know you're posting on other threads about this, could you perhaps post below your definitive list of strikers that you would like to see come in on loan before the emergency loan window shuts. Maybe in order of preference? Include any player that you would like to see in the starting XI that would improve our side, like Matt Derbyshire for example.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They wouldnt pay the price for Vydra and I see it as a similar cheaper short term fix and possible back up to a big bid for Calleri or similar in January.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know you're posting on other threads about this, could you perhaps post below your definitive list of strikers that you would like to see come in on loan before the emergency loan window shuts. Maybe in order of preference? Include any player that you would like to see in the starting XI that would improve our side, like Matt Derbyshire for example.

My choices are limited due to possible availability but would include Anichebe WBA , Stokes Celtic, possibly Vaz Te if fit, all short term. Long term Grabban Norwich, Frazier Campbell Palace and as a squad player for the bench Matt Derbyshire or Simon Cox now on loan at Bristol City. I know nothing of foreign players who may be cheaper than the English equivalent as per Ulloa, Michu etc.when they came here.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Both would be better attacking back up on the bench than what we have at the moment which excluding BZ is nil.
Why not suggest Church, Wilbraham and Ishmael Miller as well if you want to compile a list of journeyman disappointments? :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports