Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That was pointing it out for those on here prepared to just sit back on this seasons record and drift along.

You're crazy as a coconut (and I had to tone that down a fair few times)

That and :-

Matt Derbyshire at Rotherham proven at this level, cheap and only 29 his record is about 1 in 4 games.

Means I'm out.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Find this rather strange tbh.
We are unbeaten after 16 games, joint top, in and around the 4 teams in this league everyone expected to be taking the top 4 places. Hamed and Baldock so far although clearly not prolific add a lot to how we currently play. The transfer window opens in 7 weeks time. Why waste money on a loan signing for 7 weeks? Rosenier can clearly cover left back. Anyone thinking otherwise clearly has not watched the past couple of games. As for a striker, who are people thinking? Everyone decent is playing or tied u on loans or is not match fit. Unless Baldock is out for a period then we wait till January sign a player we want and push on from there

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Find this rather strange tbh.
We are unbeaten after 16 games, joint top, in and around the 4 teams in this league everyone expected to be taking the top 4 places. Hamed and Baldock so far although clearly not prolific add a lot to how we currently play. The transfer window opens in 7 weeks time. Why waste money on a loan signing for 7 weeks? Rosenier can clearly cover left back. Anyone thinking otherwise clearly has not watched the past couple of games. As for a striker, who are people thinking? Everyone decent is playing or tied u on loans or is not match fit. Unless Baldock is out for a period then we wait till January sign a player we want and push on from there

You're not the only one! :mad:

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Hemed works hard but a finisher he is not. What's he on now - 5 goals?

- Fulham: penalty (next penalty not so good)
- Ipswich first: he barely touched if at all - the free-kick was going in anyway.
- Ipswich 2nd: reverse angle shows he muffed his header but it went in off his shoulder.
-Rotherham: very nearly missed from c6 yards. Just managed to keep it under the bar.

If he could finish he'd be on 10-12 goals already and we'd be romping the league.

Too kind Bozza. I thought the reverse angle at Ipswich showed it was missing and only went in off the defender.

And the angle from behind the goals for his fifth shows that he didn't aim for the empty net but instead hit it straight at the two defenders and it was a miracle it didn't hit any of them.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
A team that is dropping too many points through draws. Yes they were 2 good away draws but to get promoted we need more wins. More wins need more goals, more goals need existing players to score more goals if not bring in somebody who can. Finding him is the problem but efforts must be made to do so.

Had we not built a lead when the players like Hemed were scoring we would be lower in the league and out of automatic promotion possibility. So just a little tinkering not wholesale changes.
This is why yesterday I said that I believe if we draw 4 and win 2 of our next 6 games some people will be unhappy.

People talk about winning at home and drawing away will get you automatic promotion. That is 23 wins and 23 draws. So we only need another 14 wins in 30 games to do the winning part. We have so far drawn less than we have won, overall we are doing ok with the players we have got, any loan player has to hugely
add to the first team otherwise we don't need them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've said before, the squad currently has up front:-

1 x 90 minute player.
1 x 60 minute player.
1 x 20 minute player, once a week.
1 x 10 minute player occasionally.

Those running the club and the recruitment will have known that wasn't good enough.
If 'the' player isn't at the club before the third round of the FA Cup (sponsored by Emirates) then serious questions need to be asked.

The fact that the team has organised it's way to the position it's in is a minor miracle.
But that and all the millions Tony spent and committed to in the Summer will be for nothing without a goal scorer.

It's this need to change players and formations from a situation that is currently working, I can't get my head around.

Another good post, although I still think you've joined in with the consensus to judge Manu. Hemed started off by playing longer (including scoring an injury time penalty), he's looked increasingly knackered ever since he took the next penalty, and hasn't had much respite since then. He's now got two weeks respite.
And just to reiterate another point, we need a quality striker, one that is mobile and knows how to score. These are difficult and expensive to find. I suspect we'll get one in January. If Baldock (being the 90 minute player, I presume) is injured for more than four weeks, we need a stopgap replacement too.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A team that is dropping too many points through draws. Yes they were 2 good away draws but to get promoted we need more wins. More wins need more goals, more goals need existing players to score more goals if not bring in somebody who can. Finding him is the problem but efforts must be made to do so.

Had we not built a lead when the players like Hemed were scoring we would be lower in the league and out of automatic promotion possibility. So just a little tinkering not wholesale changes.

We've played 16 games and have 34 points (9 wins, 7 draws). Carry on like that and we'll be pushing 100 points, and champions. So the problem isn't what's gone on this season, it's what many of us suspect might be the case in the remaining games unless we find someone we can rely on to put the ball in the back of the net with more regularity.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
although I still think you've joined in with the consensus to judge Manu. .
After 17 games it's all we've had to go on, I'm not going to judge him on that, it's amazing some on here can.

For me the 'problem' with Elvis is the fact he didn't come on for Baldock on Saturday.
That's very telling about his position in Hughton's plans, for whatever reason.

Bobby isn't and never will be a replacement for Baldock.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
We've played 16 games and have 34 points (9 wins, 7 draws). Carry on like that and we'll be pushing 100 points, and champions. So the problem isn't what's gone on this season, it's what many of us suspect might be the case in the remaining games unless we find someone we can rely on to put the ball in the back of the net with more regularity.

True, but we haven't played the teams sitting in 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th.

Really need a short term loan signing from now until end of December. That's 7 weeks - definitely worth gambling by paying someone £30k a week (210k). There's a couple short term targets we could snap up I'm sure.

- rantie (Bournemouth)
- frazer Campbell (palace)
- kramaric, dodoo (Leicester)
- grabban (Norwich)
- emnes (Swansea)
- anchiebe (WBA)

Ideal opportunity now as they will have around 10 days to settle in too.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That was pointing it out for those on here prepared to just sit back on this seasons record and drift along.

Aren't the club scouts and recruitment team paid to do that stuff for us, while we go to work 5 days a week?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
True, but we haven't played the teams sitting in 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th.

Really need a short term loan signing from now until end of December. That's 7 weeks - definitely worth gambling by paying someone £30k a week (210k). There's a couple short term targets we could snap up I'm sure.

- rantie (Bournemouth)
- frazer Campbell (palace)
- kramaric, dodoo (Leicester)
- grabban (Norwich)
- emnes (Swansea)
- anchiebe (WBA)

Ideal opportunity now as they will have around 10 days to settle in too.

I think any of those on a loan to take us into January would be a bonus. You never know one may hit it off and want to stay. I have suggested 3 of those names on other threads.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't know whether you missed BG's earlier post, but he is suggesting we urgently need 2 loan signings before the loan window shuts in about 2 weeks time, striker and a left back. Obviously that is not the 1 forward 'purchase' you are referring to in January - which I'd be surprised if anyone disagreed with.

Yes, sorry, hadn't read the whole thread.
Really not a fan of loans. I know the counter argument is Bridge, Ward and Upson, but I would argue at this stage of the season a Obika, Paynter, Gardner or J.Bennett is more likely.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've said before, the squad currently has up front:-

1 x 90 minute player.
1 x 60 minute player.
1 x 20 minute player, once a week.
1 x 10 minute player occasionally.

Those running the club and the recruitment will have known that wasn't good enough.
If 'the' player isn't at the club before the third round of the FA Cup (sponsored by Emirates) then serious questions need to be asked.

The fact that the team has organised it's way to the position it's in is a minor miracle.
But that and all the millions Tony spent and committed to in the Summer will be for nothing without a goal scorer.

It's this need to change players and formations from a situation that is currently working, I can't get my head around.

Sorry, I'm struggling with this.

You agree that the players we have aren't good enough. You think we need to sign someone, and to not do so means everything Tony has spent in the summer will be for nothing if we don't. Yet, you are fed up with people calling for new players and to change things because it's currently working?

Do you expect us to sign a great striker (or at least, one better than what we currently have) and then put him on the bench?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry, I'm struggling with this.

You agree that the players we have aren't good enough. You think we need to sign someone, and to not do so means everything Tony has spent in the summer will be for nothing if we don't. Yet, you are fed up with people calling for new players and to change things because it's currently working?

Do you expect us to sign a great striker (or at least, one better than what we currently have) and then put him on the bench?
There's no arguing from me that the cake needs icing, I'm rallying against the need to remake the cake, with substandard ingredients just because the team isn't winning more games.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There's no arguing from me that the cake needs icing, I'm rallying against the need to remake the cake, with substandard ingredients just because the team isn't winning more games.

With extra ingredients you only have on loan and have to give back after you've eaten the cake...you can't have your cake and eat it....hold on...where are we going with this cake analogy!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here