Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock is going to have a heavy weight of expectation around him

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
ALL the expectation is on him now though isn't it? Before people hoped CMS would come back a better player in a system that suited him. Colunga had a good track record in Spain and much was expected of him. We had no idea that non our strikers would be able to score in League games. Now all the expectation is likely to be on Baldock's shoulders given the position we are in, imo.

I may be wrong and the Amex crowd will give him 5 or so games before getting on his back if he doesn't score. He might well need that sort of time to settle in.

He won't be under pressure if we win and someone else is scoring.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If he's not better we are a bit ****ed, so I certainly have more expectation. I no longer have any expectation of CMS and the jury is still out on COG but my personal expectations are not very high. Colunga may come good but it's not a given and he hasn't impressed so far. That only leaves me with the hope that Baldock is the real deal.

If you'd done your homework when they came to us, of all the strikers you've mentioned, the one you should technically be putting most expectation on is COG to be fair. He's the one with the best record of the lot in The Championship.

Colunga was just a surprise package having never played there. You could wish for another Ulloa or hope he isn't another Rodriguez. Most likely outcome, on the evidence so far, is that he turns out to be somewhere between the two, in terms of ability/goal return.

With Baldock I had/have little expectation. It was only disappointment for me that he turned out to be a our main striker target (perhaps he was the only one we could land and we had other, better, targets that fell through?) Therefore if he has a cracking season for us, and I'd love it if he did, it'll just be a massive bonus for me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you'd done your homework when they came to us, of all the strikers you've mentioned, the one you should technically be putting most expectation on is COG to be fair. He's the one with the best record of the lot in The Championship.

Bloody hell that's depressing when you consider the talent upfront at virtually every other Championship club :down:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jeez, all of a sudden everyone is getting on Baldock's back. (Not just this thread). How many times has he played for us this season? 3 or so?

He is injured. Give the lad a chance.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Jeez, all of a sudden everyone is getting on Baldock's back. (Not just this thread). How many times has he played for us this season? 3 or so?

He is injured. Give the lad a chance.

The point of the thread was the assumption that people are likely to get on his back if he doesn't produce quickly, which is actually pretty unfair. If he scores a couple he will be the Messiah for a while.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The point of the thread was the assumption that people are likely to get on his back if he doesn't produce quickly, which is actually pretty unfair.

I take your point Icy but i'm afraid some already are...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here