Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock - Get well soon, please!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I was referring to posts above saying that they are 'back' for Saturday. We know smoke and mirrors are used by clubs referring to the 'availability' of players.

They have stuck his picture on the first slide of the official site for the Burton match.

I'd say there's a good chance he'll be involved.

Sorry, but don't really get the sudden Baldock love-in. My fault, I'm sure :shrug:

Because it's preferable to a Dale 'he dun give a shit' Stephens love-in, who has been the real key miss.

I rate SB btw.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Given that both are always first choice picks, Hughton has said in public they are "fine" and that they are in "contention" for Saturday.

"Both are in contention. They have trained and they are fine."

then not too much of a stretch to say "they are back". Can't see much smoke. Or mirrors.

Hughton has often said what you have quoted and 'tweaks' have subsequently been picked up in training, apparently.

I don't take everything Hughton or the club says as gospel unlike some do. Of course it's his job to play 'games' with opposing managers and that's fair enough. If they are selected then great.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Hughton has often said what you have quoted and 'tweaks' have subsequently been picked up in training, apparently.

I don't take everything Hughton or the club says as gospel unlike some do. Of course it's his job to play 'games' with opposing managers and that's fair enough. If they are selected then great.

'Tweaks' don't just happen in training - sometimes it's on the pitch during the warm-up.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry, but don't really get the sudden Baldock love-in. My fault, I'm sure :shrug:

Look at the win/loss stats. And if that doesn't convince you (lies, damned lies etc). then think on this: we play with a two-man midfield, but with Baldock it's essentially three as he manages to play in midfield and up front at the same time, indeed he's so energetic he seems almost capable of being on the end of one of his own passes. We've missed that and the midfield has been overrun at times.

Just IMO, like.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

You've often got players disastrously wrong previously ("one-in-ten-Glenn" :lolol:) so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Reading that, it does make me question why we didn't bring in someone as good or better in his position, match fit and ready.

If he is harbouring an injury which is just waiting to flare up, that is more than a abit of a concern.

Oh bloody hell why don't the Argus just take out full size adverts in all the papers and send round emails to every club we are playing to give him some unwanted attention...

Bloody wheels are coming off arent they

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seriously, if Baldock is the answer, then you haven't understood the question. Sake!

Akpom will prove to be the answer, you saw it here first. I like Baldock, he has scored some cracking goals but he is really injury prone, lightweight and easily bullied. He makes space for the other striker buzzing around but his strength on the ball is poor and he seems to be easily brushed off by Championship defenders when he runs with the ball. Akpom looks like he has a bit of attitude and plenty of skill. I know most of NSC have already written him off but they did the same to "not needed, waste of money Duffy" for a few games too :wink:

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That statement puts me into a state of panic.

Haven't looked back but were you one of the Duffy dissers when we signed him?

How can you possibly write off a young player after seeing him play in a struggling side for about half an hour and make no mistake we have been struggling for most of his time on the pitch. His shot against Burton showed good technique imo, and he'd been on for about three mins. Give the lad a chance eh?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Akpom will prove to be the answer, you saw it here first.

Honest initial reaction to Akpom? Plays like a sack of spuds. COG 2.0 complete with the 'holds the ball up well' thing yada yada. But, hey, turned well and played Murray into scoring positions a couple of times in the 20 minutes he was on the pitch, so maybe has his uses. Tho sadly not as a goal scorer on current evidence.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Haven't looked back but were you one of the Duffy dissers when we signed him?

Not sure how that is relevant, but no I was one of the people saying it was a fantastic signing having watched him play a number of times - not just highlights from Cardiff v Blackburn.

How can you possibly write off a young player after seeing him play in a struggling side for about half an hour?

I haven't written him off, but I had my doubts before we signed him having watched him many times last season, that he would be the one to get us over the line - and this was when he was fully match fit and sharp which he seems absolutely miles off now. When the deal was done I was dearly hoping I would be wrong - and still do.

However, if you have noticed on the touchline, when he has come on CH turns from static calm to apoplectically flailing his arms and bellowing at Akpom to press. His teamates also had to pick him up off the ground on Tuesday night so we could carry on using the dying minutes trying to win the match. I don't like his body language thus far and your statement that he will be the one we need put faith in to see us through scares the shit out of me, that's all I was saying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here