Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Backing up mobile phone data - wise words sought from the intelligentsia of NSC

The Potting household don't go in for new fangled gadgetry like iPhones but I am conscious that life could potentially be less stressful if their data was backed up somewhere. Looking on line there are various card reader gadgets available, and some web based solutions.

Any suggestions/recommendations please - you recently came up trumps with info. regarding wi - fi signal boosters, can it be done again?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
On iPad and iPhone, there is iCloud, which will backup your phone (you can choose exactly what) to the internet, making it easy to restore anywhere in the world where you have internet. Also handy for upgrading etc.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
This is my setup. Sounds complicated but you just need to know what to click. We have four computers/ netbooks in the house (Business and personal for wife & kids). I have a Western Digital network hard drive attached to my wi fi by cable Network Hard Drives Deals | Free Delivery | Pcworld. All computers are then loaded with the backup software and automatically backup all files. It can also connect to the drive from any where in the world via the net. Regarding a mobile, just hook it up to a computer and backup all files (pictures etc.) and from there it auto backs up to the main drive.

Need to know which phone / Operating System and what needs to be backed up...

I have a T Mobile unity, daughter has an Orange Rio - both have USB cables with them and backing up photos/music isn't a problem, both have Utility Warehouse sims. No idea what operating systems they use, neither phone's website is any help with backing up. Wifes phone is one of the quaint old fashioned ones that makes calls/sends texts - no USB cable so I guess some form of reader for the sim would be required.

I only really need to back up the contacts for each.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
I use google contacts/calendar etc so no need to back up contacts in the event of losing my phone as it's all on the web. Handy for when you forget your phone as you can log in to Google and retrieve all your numbers. I also like the way you can share contacts and calendars with others. Re photos I just download to PC every now and again via cable or upload from my phone.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I use google contacts/calendar etc so no need to back up contacts in the event of losing my phone as it's all on the web. Handy for when you forget your phone as you can log in to Google and retrieve all your numbers. I also like the way you can share contacts and calendars with others. Re photos I just download to PC every now and again via cable or upload from my phone.

I can't believe I haven't done this yet.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

I use drop box for photos (& other files)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here