Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Back to back bollocks

Jimmy Grimble

What Man Utd fans never get is the reason most 'neutrals' dislike them is because, in the words of Cameron "they just don't get it" e.g. football has become boring predictable since the money revolution.

At least in pre-1992 teams like Brighton used to beat the same sides who conquered Europe on the odd occassion. Soon we won't even have the right to play them if UEFA, Sky, Premiershite etc get their way.

Man Utd win the champion's league? Shock and awe. You mean the most powerful club in the world wins the biggest competition?! Wow, that's so surprising......

Nail on head.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I think if the format is going to change, it should definitely at least be changed so that the Champions get an automatic place in the CL, along with the FA Cup winners, and 2nd and 3rd in the PL have to qualify, with 4th, 5th and 6th or Carling Cup winner going into the Europa League.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The Format changed in 1992 so therefore they will be the first in its current format I'm pretty sure that's what they mean.
Good luck to them I personally hope they do it they have be the best representation of England in the last few years.

Out of interest, what part of the format do you think changed in 1992?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All they hype is a massive slight on all of those clubs listed above, especially the Real Madrid side of the late 50s who were possible the greatest club side of all time.

To be fair if the Man Utd team of now played the Real Madrid team of then, they would absolutely destroy them.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
To be fair if the Man Utd team of now played the Real Madrid team of then, they would absolutely destroy them.

Depends on the rules of the game. Play 1950s rules, and Ronaldo would run away crying to mummy within 10 minutes.

And if Fergie thinks Wembleys pitch was bad, he wouldn't even let his precious little babies out of a heavy, rutted pitch that Real Madrid still managed to display supreme skills on.

...... always amazes me that. We hear about Brazilians learning their skills with a tennis ball in the back streets, or on the Copacabana beach, then suddenly flat grass is a challenge to them once they are being played, unless that grass is billiard table perfect.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I remember watching Ajax on the telly back in the days when they were called AJAX and not IYAX. :)

That'd be Brian Moore's commentary in the 1972 final between Ajax and Inter, probably one of the best finals ever, and one of the most one-sided. Inter retreat into their own penalty area straight from the kick-off and are pretty much there for the whole 90 minutes, well-beaten. Ajax played some amazing football that match.

Out of interest, what part of the format do you think changed in 1992?

Well, it was when they changed the name to the Champions League and introduced qualifers for the first time. Although group stages were first bought in a year before.

Probably depends whether they used one of the ridiculously light balls they use now or a proper one from the 50s!

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

Stick 1950's Madrid in 2009 Europe with modern training techniques and access to physions and I reckon they would win.

That is a non-sensical argument. So, if we take your line of thinking, we might as well forget all history pre 1990 for example?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Well, it was when they changed the name to the Champions League and introduced qualifers for the first time. Although group stages were first bought in a year before.

Nope. The only change was the name, no format change WHATSOEVER. The 1st year of the Champions League was ;
1st round of 32 teams, knock-out.
2nd round of 16 teams, knock-out.

2 groups of 4, the winners of each met in the Final.

That was EXACTLY the same format as the last year of the European Cup.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Do you think the current Albion team would beat the Real Madrid team of the 1950s? Would modern training methods etc be enough for them to overcome one of the greatest club sides ever?

Nope. The only change was the name, no format change WHATSOEVER. The 1st year of the Champions League was ;
1st round of 32 teams, knock-out.
2nd round of 16 teams, knock-out.

2 groups of 4, the winners of each met in the Final.

That was EXACTLY the same format as the last year of the European Cup.

Er, yes, because I cheated and looked it up on wikipedia.

European Cup 1991–92 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
UEFA Champions League 1992–93 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
UEFA Champions League 1993–94 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think the reason it's the top 4 teams from England is to give teams like Liverpool and Arsenal something to play for, much like the Play-Offs give teams soemthing to play for etc etc.

Isn't that what the uefa cup was for?

What was wrong with the old system? European Cup, UEFA cup and Cup Winners cup(am I the only one who like the cup winners cup?)

Do you think the current Albion team would beat the Real Madrid team of the 1950s? Would modern training methods etc be enough for them to overcome one of the greatest club sides ever?

difficult as some of the real madrid team of the 1950s are dead.

still i am sure that even this present rabble couldbeat a team of 85 year olds........ just

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Another vote for the Cup Winners' Cup from me too!

Funny name for a competition, though e.g. "Aberdeen are the European Cup Winners' Cup winners for 1983". But still better than the Europa League!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here