Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Back in Garth's good books

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’m not bothered by Crooks or any other pundit sticking up for Potter.

From afar, they fail to note that mid season our entire coaching set up was pinched, as was MacAuley and then just before this game moves to take Winstanley. Some of whom were here years before Potter.

TB/PB had to entirely rebuild in the middle of a campaign.

Potter showed himself to be an emotionless automaton, it’s purely business to him. The admiration that 90% of the fanbase felt for him, wasn’t reciprocated, he’s a cold fish. There are managers that gel with a fanbase beyond their job, when they depart perhaps they don’t out of respect take the kitchen sink with them and them come back calling for more. That’s not Potter. It was easy to think of him as a bit of cnt.
Rebuild - it was done within 9 days.

Most managers bring their team with them, hence RDZ bought his. Not unusual. Andrew Crofts then benefits with a promotion from within the club.

The issue here is typically the bigger club doesn’t need various other positions filled, it just needs the manager and their coaching staff. The problem is Todd Boehly who has wanted to clear out the old regime, knows f*** all about football, so is ransacking us because we’ve been doing it all well.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Potter randomly mentions he doesn’t have anything to apologise for and suddenly there’s a suggestion we want an apology.
Nail on head, Sheebo.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Another little thing that’s bothered me is this idea GP took over the ‘third’ worse team in the league... Something he was quick to point out after we’d thrashed his new team... which again the press are jumping on with an inappropriate level of glee.

Arguably, that might have been true, BUT what’s got to me is that Graham went out of his way to repeatedly thank Chris Hughton for the platform he’d laid, the squad he’d assembled etc.

It would seem Graham was being disingenuous, something he’s clearly a master at.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Another little thing that’s bothered me is this idea GP took over the ‘third’ worse team in the league... Something he was quick to point out after we’d thrashed his new team... which again the press are jumping on with an inappropriate level of glee.

Arguably, that might have been true, BUT what’s got to me is that Graham went out of his way to repeatedly thank Chris Hughton for the platform he’d laid, the squad he’d assembled etc.

It would seem Graham was being disingenuous, something he’s clearly a master at.
Third worst team in the PL is a bloody good platform, both for a relatively rookie manager, and for a team that didn't have a ground and nearly went put of business 20 years before.
CH taking us from relegation fodder in the Championship, to promotion to the PL and to 'third worst team' in the PL was one hell of a lot of platform building!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Third worst team in the PL is a bloody good platform, both for a relatively rookie manager, and for a team that didn't have a ground and nearly went put of business 20 years before.
CH taking us from relegation fodder in the Championship, to promotion to the PL and to 'third worst team' in the PL was one hell of a lot of platform building!
Naturally I concur... I felt Graham was guilty of being a little bit self-indulgent, betraying his true characteristics, by implying he'd turned us from relegation certainties into what? it took three seasons of uppy downy form before he struck relative gold with a top half finish ... He had a superb platform from which to build, yet he was being disparaging by suggesting we we're lucky to stay up and without him we'd have been in the Championship at best by now... a touch of the special one without the trophy's to back it up. Clearly, in the heat of the moment, he'd forgotten the remarks he made praising CH and the work he'd done and felt it appropriate to display his hubris and arrogance along with the assertion that he'd saved us and taken us to the promised land of 9th. His pointed remarks about money in the bank, again, suggested he'd shaped the players and therefore took all the credit for the money that 'he' and his football generated ... nothing to do with the wider recruitment strategy or in the case of Ben White the development pathway in place WAY before he walked in the door.

He came across like a petulant public-school boy, educating the misguided Albion faithful who simply didn't appreciate his genius/contribution.

One thing is sure, his arrogance and self-belief are at big six levels of hyperbole and he and Chelsea are a great fit and fully deserving of each other.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He came across like a petulant public-school boy, educating the misguided Albion faithful who simply didn't appreciate his genius/contribution.

One thing is sure, his arrogance and self-belief are at big six levels of hyperbole and he and Chelsea are a great fit and fully deserving of each other.
Aren't opinions wonderful? I watched the same interview(s) (presumably) as you - and came to virtually the opposite comclusions! A wry shrug of the shoulders and acknowledging that he'd done a good job with the Brighton team and it had just come back to bite him! Agree about his self-belief though - any manager needs plenty of that to do their job.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Aren't opinions wonderful? I watched the same interview(s) (presumably) as you - and came to virtually the opposite comclusions! A wry shrug of the shoulders and acknowledging that he'd done a good job with the Brighton team and it had just come back to bite him! Agree about his self-belief though - any manager needs plenty of that to do their job.
Fair enough - it’s all about opinions and as Graham said : we’re entitled to them ! Lol.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Never liked him as a pundit, and usually just ignore him, but that "Brighton fans should think themselves lucky..." comment has really boiled my piss.

Just f*** off Garth, and when you get there, f*** off some more. :tosser::tosser::tosser:
I'd be tempted to tell him to wind his neck in. It looks like he already did though. And it got stuck. The prat.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
There seems to be some suggestion that Graham Potter owes Brighton fans an apology for leaving Amex Stadium for Stamford Bridge so abruptly. An apology - what for? Brighton fans should think themselves very lucky to have had Potter for as long as they did. It was well known in football circles that he had turned down a number of offers before he succumbed to the lure of Chelsea.

Condescending tone ✔️
Acting as if he’s in ‘football circles’ ✔️
Implies Brighton are a small club ✔️

Garth Crooks has been absolutely stealing a living for years, he just watches highlights and selects players from the best teams most of the time, he wrote more about Graham Potter in his naming of Trossard in team of the week than actually about LT performance :lolol:

There’s just something about him that really irks me, he writes one or two nonsensical football columns a week and probably earns more than most people in a year just from that.

Garth Crooks, Idiot.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
There seems to be some suggestion that Graham Potter owes Brighton fans an apology for leaving Amex Stadium for Stamford Bridge so abruptly. An apology - what for? Brighton fans should think themselves very lucky to have had Potter for as long as they did. It was well known in football circles that he had turned down a number of offers before he succumbed to the lure of Chelsea.

Condescending tone ✔️
Acting as if he’s in ‘football circles’ ✔️
Implies Brighton are a small club ✔️

Garth Crooks has been absolutely stealing a living for years, he just watches highlights and selects players from the best teams most of the time, he wrote more about Graham Potter in his naming of Trossard in team of the week than actually about LT performance :lolol:

There’s just something about him that really irks me, he writes one or two nonsensical football columns a week and probably earns more than most people in a year just from that.

Garth Crooks, Idiot.
One might argue that writing one or two nonsensical football columns a week and earning more than most people do in a year from that is actually quite smart.

However, I agree, he’s an idiot. Just a very fortunate one!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
At least he writes his own copy. No idiot intern is responsible for his utter bollocks.

The sage of Stoke is an idiot.

'The Crooks Of The Matter'.

Jesus f***ing wept.

Thick ****.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
TWO Albion players - and, unless I'm mistaken, nothing to get offended about...

I'm sure this is a coincidence and I know some of you will think I am quite sad, but I was so incensed by last week's TOTW that I complained to the BBC. I was pissed off by his normal "Trossard is really good, so he'll be off to a BIG club soon, and the nonsense about Potter not having to apologise for anything, I made the point that he was the only person to mention apologising! What got to me the most was the fact that 2 City players made the cut following their drab 1-0 against Leicester, one of them at left back I think. We absolutely annihilated Chelsea and only Trossard makes it. Estupinan should have been there. Anyway probably a bit embarrassing, and i shouldn't have let it get to me after one of the greatest weekends in over 50 years supporting the Albion, but it was good therapy.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
At Brighton he seems to have recaptured that touch of class again and the Seagulls are playing the best football I've seen them play while in the top flight.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The toughest choice Garth has to make every week is who to put in as goalkeeper. For the rest, it’s just who’s scored a goal this week - high concept journalism at its finest. Still, he’ll be pleased we all read it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here