Back from game

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sep 1, 2010
Well, it was my first game this season(apart from portugal) due to long illness, thought we played quite well, Lua-Lua was my MOM closely followed by Calderon. I have been reserving judgement on Ankergren until i saw him, but felt he was a bit ropey on crosses and seems to get stuck behind opposing forwards on corners giving him hard work to come out for the catch. Although Oldham took their goal well, i felt Ankergren was a bit slow getting down. Sandaza, well,give him a few weeks and i feel he will only get better. How Barnes missed the one on one i will never know, but he worked very hard and deserved at least a brace. The referee was a pratt, how he booked barnes for being assaulted i will never know, the Oldham player should of been sent off from what i could see, the ref seemed clueless. The 94th minute winnerwas no less than we deserved(although it seemed to bounce around the goal line for an eternity before it went in) in my view and the whole team worked hard and never gave up. WE ARE |TOP OF THE LEAGUE.........off to the Brentford game on tuesday now and cannot wait.

:albion1: :albion1: :albion1:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Looking back in the cold light of day, we did have a LOT of chances. In the first half there was that one where Barnes was bundled over on the line; his shot that hit the post; the Bennet chip late on; one in the second half bounced along the goal line; Barnes hit the bar.

We completely deserved to win that game.

Sep 1, 2010
I thought we were very good and attacked with purpose, Barnes should of had 2 or 3 goals but anyone that has been having a pop at him should think twice, his hard work today was immense and he eclipsed Murray in my opinion. His work rate was fantastic. 2 of there players were thugs(we have been accused of that too many times already this seaon) and their no.18 was a total mouthy wind up merchant, so we got the last laugh.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Funny how we all see things differently, I thought Barnes was MOM and Lua Lua although the approach play is often brilliant, on today's showing he hasn't really got much composure in front of goal. I found his lack of perception of players around him and his desire to run past 4 or 5 players without looking to release the ball to players in better positions quite frustrating to watch. If we'd been winning I may have seen it completely diifferently of course.

Sep 1, 2010
Funny how we all see things differently, I thought Barnes was MOM and Lua Lua although the approach play is often brilliant, on today's showing he hasn't really got much composure in front of goal. I found his lack of perception of players around him and his desire to run past 4 or 5 players without looking to release the ball to players in better positions quite frustrating to watch. If we'd been winning I may have seen it completely diifferently of course.

I agree totally that on a few occasions he should of played a killer pass but he terrorised the Oldham defenders especially in 2nd half where i could see a bit closer his silky skills. I think Barnes/Calderon/Lua Lua were magnificent and El-Abd was good too, i think if Greer is gonnaget back in, it is more likely Elphick would give way from what i saw, but hey, top of the league and i was more impressed how we never gave up, last season there is no way we would of got that injury time goal IMO.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

I can exactly see why Newcastle have loaned Lua Lua out. He has pace, he has drive and is exciting to watch, but he is far from the finished article. However, I would say that he was better all around today than he was against Mk Dons (despite THAT goal) and I feel he will get better and better.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
SHould have been at least 3 up by half time and game over. Was more fun this way, but we need to be clinical in front of goal or else we will leak points at some stage

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I thought that we played decent oppos who made it bloody difficult - they pressed the ball hard in our half, got forward in numbers and very quickly when they had a chance to, and scored a bloody good goal. The most pleasing thing for me was that we showed that when a team stops us playing the fluent passing staff we can battle to a victory, and when we miss chances and go behind the team's got the belief and determination to keep going and win the game. Top stuff all round - really pleasing.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Looking back in the cold light of day, we did have a LOT of chances. In the first half there was that one where Barnes was bundled over on the line; his shot that hit the post; the Bennet chip late on; one in the second half bounced along the goal line; Barnes hit the bar.

We completely deserved to win that game.

They said this on the phone in too but neither me or my Dad could remember it! Can you jog my memory?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Barnes had an effort very late on where he turned sharply and hit the ball across goal and it went along the front of the bar. he was on the north stand side and the ball went across goal towards the south stand. it may have looked, from the south, like this was just a cross but it did hit the bar.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Barnes had an effort very late on where he turned sharply and hit the ball across goal and it went along the front of the bar. he was on the north stand side and the ball went across goal towards the south stand. it may have looked, from the south, like this was just a cross but it did hit the bar.

Yep definitely rolled along the face of the bar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports