Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Babb?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Albion U-21s were beaten by a Brentford B side today in a friendly -

Under-21s beaten by Brentford B

Andi Zeqiri got some game time, as did Odel Offiah and James Furlong. An unnamed trialist scored our goal.

However, the line-up lists a "Babb" as a substitute. I am unaware of anybody in the academy of that name, or indeed any scholars at other clubs. The only Babb I can find is a Daniel Babb at UCD in Ireland (an U-18 this season). Anybody heard anything about this player? @Jolly Red Giant - do you know anything about this?

(And no, I don't believe Dan is any relation to Phil).

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Albion U-21s were beaten by a Brentford B side today in a friendly -

Under-21s beaten by Brentford B

Andi Zeqiri got some game time, as did Odel Offiah and James Furlong. An unnamed trialist scored our goal.

However, the line-up lists a "Babb" as a substitute. I am unaware of anybody in the academy of that name, or indeed any scholars at other clubs. The only Babb I can find is a Daniel Babb at UCD in Ireland (an U-18 this season). Anybody heard anything about this player? @Jolly Red Giant - do you know anything about this?

He's following a few of the U21's on Instagram so I assume it's him.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

There is a kid called Daniel Babb who plays for UCD right-back / centre back (and you are right - he is no relation to Phil Babb). He was a regular for the Irish U-17s in the Euros in May. He was a regular in the UCD first team in June and July. He didn't play at Bohs at the end of July or at Cork a few days ago - so he could be at Brighton for a trial. UCD are a college team - semi-pro and some of the players have student scholarships to play for UCD while doing their studies. They don't have a fan base as such because they are a college team - there average attendance this season is just over 800 -but that is mostly away fans (last season in the First Division they were averaging about 200) and they almost never bring any fans to away games. So they don't have any fans forums etc - and they club rarely update social media with anything other than ticket info and fixture details.

It could well be UCD's Babb - but I don't think he'd be able to sign for Brighton at the moment because he's only 17.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
There is a kid called Daniel Babb who plays for UCD right-back / centre back (and you are right - he is no relation to Phil Babb). He was a regular for the Irish U-17s in the Euros in May. He was a regular in the UCD first team in June and July. He didn't play at Bohs at the end of July or at Cork a few days ago - so he could be at Brighton for a trial. UCD are a college team - semi-pro and some of the players have student scholarships to play for UCD while doing their studies. They don't have a fan base as such because they are a college team - there average attendance this season is just over 800 -but that is mostly away fans (last season in the First Division they were averaging about 200) and they almost never bring any fans to away games. So they don't have any fans forums etc - and they club rarely update social media with anything other than ticket info and fixture details.

It could well be UCD's Babb - but I don't think he'd be able to sign for Brighton at the moment because he's only 17.
Thanks.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

We signed Shane McFaul from UCD about 15 years ago. Think he played about 2 games for us.

Although we might not be able to sign Babb yet as he’s only 17, we can agree the deal ready for the window after he turns 18, as we have done with Adrian Mazilu. Babb actually turns 18 in the middle of January so he could join in the winter window.

Also if he has an English parent we can sign him before he turns 18 as he’s entitled to a British Passport and has the freedom to live here. That’s how we managed to get Evan Ferguson to sign before he turned 18.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
We signed Shane McFaul from UCD about 15 years ago. Think he played about 2 games for us.

Although we might not be able to sign Babb yet as he’s only 17, we can agree the deal ready for the window after he turns 18, as we have done with Adrian Mazilu. Babb actually turns 18 in the middle of January so he could join in the winter window.

Also if he has an English parent we can sign him before he turns 18 as he’s entitled to a British Passport and has the freedom to live here. That’s how we managed to get Evan Ferguson to sign before he turned 18.
Anyone from Ireland has the freedom to live here, no?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Anyone from Ireland has the freedom to live here, no?
That’s why I said and has the freedom to live here. But in football terms players are prevented from moving internationally (unless a parent is moving for non football related work) before they are 18. This didn’t apply before Brexit as the freedom to work and live across the EU superseded any FIFA rule. Also the rule is superseded by the player having an English parent.

I’m not sure if challenged how the FIFA rule would hold up against the Common Travel Agreement that allows freedom of movement for citizens between the UK and Ireland.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
For anyone interested, this is the unnamed trialist who scored our goal yesterday:-

Trialist1.jpg

Trialist2.jpg

Trialist3.jpg

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
That’s why I said and has the freedom to live here. But in football terms players are prevented from moving internationally (unless a parent is moving for non football related work) before they are 18. This didn’t apply before Brexit as the freedom to work and live across the EU superseded any FIFA rule. Also the rule is superseded by the player having an English parent.

I’m not sure if challenged how the FIFA rule would hold up against the Common Travel Agreement that allows freedom of movement for citizens between the UK and Ireland.
A number of Irish kids have signed for European clubs since Brexit - e.g.

Cathal Heffernan - AC Milan (although rumours at the weekend that Newcastle were trying to sign him from Milan)
James Abankwah - Udinese
John Ryan - Sassuolo
Kevin Zafi - Inter
Glory N'zingo - Reims
Killian Cailloce - Caen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here