Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Azure need to booted out.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
For sure, 'people are being served food and drink in huge numbers', but people are also being DENIED the opportunity to purchase food and drink in huge numbers. Hopefully the club are not as blase about the catering situation as you seem to be.

I don't think I am being blasé at all, my experience of the catering is pretty positive, maybe I am just lucky every week. On the odd occasion where I have been frustrated by the queues etc, I just decided to give it a miss and not give it a second thought.

I am not saying things cannot improve, it's pretty clear that things can, but I am saying that things are not as apocalyptically bad as people are making out. We really do need a little perspective and keep the criticism constructive rather than hysterical if things are too improve.

Come the end of April the club and Azure will have a whole seasons worth of data and experience to digest before penning the doors to thousands more punters next season, and I would like to think they will adjust their working practices accordingly.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I take your opint and understand it so the obvious answer is why cant the club employ even on short contract or on a consultancy basis some body with the required knowledge. I am sure that ther are many suitably qualified people about possibly early retired not an OAP like me but somebody who has been made redundant by a large commercial catering company in his early 50s. I am sure an advert in the Hotel and Caterer would soon bring forward a number of suitable applicants.

A lot of companies do this - Essentially employ a nasty contractor bastard to sit on Azure, never be happy and drive improvement. As someone who is often on the receiving end of such wonderful people in the world of IT, it does work even if you don't like it. (I would suggest if Azure like thier counterpart at the Albion, he isn't doing his job properly)

It always amazes me how disorganised the whole thing is - and not just at the Albion. 20 /20 (1 person behind the bar and about 10,000 people at Trent bridge was my personal favourite), Twickeham (don't believe that's organised as some have suggested), most football stadiums I have set foot in - All as bad as each other. I know it can't be easy catering for masses of people all at the same time but for crying out load, if we can put a man on the moon (and no I can't be arsed to read THAT thread) surely we can make manageable queues and serve some pies with a bit more thought and organisation?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
It always amazes me how disorganised the whole thing is - and not just at the Albion. 20 /20 (1 person behind the bar and about 10,000 people at Trent bridge was my personal favourite), Twickeham (don't believe that's organised as some have suggested), most football stadiums I have set foot in - All as bad as each other. I know it can't be easy catering for masses of people all at the same time but for crying out load, if we can put a man on the moon (and no I can't be arsed to read THAT thread) surely we can make manageable queues and serve some pies with a bit more thought and organisation?

The problem is that the people involved in literally shooting for the moon have little interest in pie distribution logistics. If they did I imagine things would be very different. I mean I'm sure you could cook the pies pretty quickly if you're using a rocket engine to heat them.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
A lot of companies do this - Essentially employ a nasty contractor bastard to sit on Azure, never be happy and drive improvement. As someone who is often on the receiving end of such wonderful people in the world of IT, it does work even if you don't like it. (I would suggest if Azure like thier counterpart at the Albion, he isn't doing his job properly)

Hallelujah! You've just made my point far more succinctly than I did.
Some of the process improvements are so blindingly obvious, and simple in many cases. I'm sure it's a case of not being able to see the wood for the trees for those in the thick of it, and fresh pair of eyes on the situation could make immediate cost effective improvements.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

good post. The Oval is pretty good at serving beers super quick in my experience, loads and loads of staff and loads of pre-poured beers at peek times. Simples!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Just seen the BHAFC Commercial's tweet about Azure being delighted to announce a new menu now available for every home game. So guess there is no plan to boot them out anytime soon

The simple equation for me is:

Buying food and drink from the club = better players = more wins.

I don't mind paying more to buy something from the club that I could get cheaper elsewhere. The cinema - yes, it narks me a bit. The Albion - not one jot. My relationship with the club is such that I WANT to give them money and I want them to find as many ways as possible for me to do that.

On Saturday we stopped in WH Smith at Brighton Station to get some cough sweets as my little girl was struggling a bit. Whilst paying the guy said "any offer from the counter?" and indicated an array of goods that were, supposedly, at some sort of special price. My immediate reaction was to decline - we were heading to the Amex and we'd spend our money there. Then, the thoughts of the WSU queues came to mind and I found myself paying a quid for some Haribo. I'd much rather pay the club £2 for the same, but I don't want to queue for 20 minutes to do so, and the WSU queues were pretty sizeable when we arrived, and we weren't that late.

Odd scenrio - If that really is the case, buy your sweets with no queue and send the club a quid in the post.

You are happy, club is happy and other punters are happy as you are not in the queue!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Richard Baker has been brought in to offer his advice and opinions on improving the 1901 experience, I'm told. And he is a fussy sod.

There is not a time during match day when pies are not being cooked.

What you appear to be talking about is having the pies cooked via a different method. Seeing as, according to Piglet's Pantry, they're using the most advanced catering ovens, I'm not sure what else could be done - aside from having bigger ones, but that has already been covered on here.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just a simple question could the pies not be cooked virtually completely and then put in the ovens to reheat or finish off thus reducing the 28mins cooking time. We had an oven in the pub that cooked pastry from frozen in 6 mins but that was only for about 20 pies. Does the same problem exist for the makers too many needed at one time.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Just a simple question could the pies not be cooked virtually completely and then put in the ovens to reheat or finish off thus reducing the 28mins cooking time. We had an oven in the pub that cooked pastry from frozen in 6 mins but that was only for about 20 pies. Does the same problem exist for the makers too many needed at one time.

The pies are all fully cooked off site then 'speed chilled' or something before being transported to the Amex for re-heating.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
What you appear to be talking about is having the pies cooked via a different method. Seeing as, according to Piglet's Pantry, they're using the most advanced catering ovens, I'm not sure what else could be done - aside from having bigger ones, but that has already been covered on here.[/QUOTE]

I can understand the pie cooking conundrum and looks like there's fairly significant investment being made to rectify this in the summer. I think it's more about the inconsistency of distribution channels when the products are available, e.g. some weeks there are 'mobile' pie sellers to aid queues and others not.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The pies are all fully cooked off site then 'speed chilled' or something before being transported to the Amex for re-heating.

Sounds a bit like the regenerating ovens used in hotels for large banquets

rool

Jul 10, 2003
They are. I've no idea what they are, but that's what Jo from Piglet's Pantry called them on the Roar.

They are large ovens not too disimilar to the ones in the kiosks at the amex. How we used to use them was that the food was plated up for a banquet, speed chilled and then 'regenned' on the day.

images

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Surely the solution is competition?

Allow, say, 4 different firms a mix of the fixed and some mobile concessions spread evenly throughout the concourse and outside the ground.

Survivial of the fittest! Given choice and the ease to make that choice, punters will very happily vote with their feet.

Impacts from issues around failure of equipment, short staffing, etc are minimised because not all the eggs are in the same basket.

One company finds they can't hack it, then the lose their franchise rights and others get to tender for the available slots.

The club gets the same income and could even insist on parity of pricing (and allow competition solely on service).

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Allow, say, 4 different firms a mix of the fixed and some mobile concessions spread evenly throughout the concourse and outside the ground.

Survivial of the fittest! Given choice and the ease to make that choice, punters will very happily vote with their feet.

Impacts from issues around failure of equipment, short staffing, etc are minimised because not all the eggs are in the same basket.

One company finds they can't hack it, then the lose their franchise rights and others get to tender for the available slots.

The club gets the same income and could even insist on parity of pricing (and allow competition solely on service).

Sounds good in theory. Is there evidence that it works as well as that in practice?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Recipie for chaos.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
What you appear to be talking about is having the pies cooked via a different method. Seeing as, according to Piglet's Pantry, they're using the most advanced catering ovens, I'm not sure what else could be done - aside from having bigger ones, but that has already been covered on here.

I was thinking more about better organisation all round. Such as more pre poured beer, snake queing system to avoid congestion on the concourse, possible Smart card only queues, maybe stick in a vending machine (limited stock I know) to avoid the queues if you only want an overpriced Haribo sugar rush like Bozza and certainly better communcation between the outlets and the back office so you could get beer changed quickly / offer an ETA for pies / move stock around / make it look like they know whats going on instead of acting in shock when someone asks for a drink or something to eat.

Some of these things have probably been already tried / mentioned and I cant be arsed to read all of the thread. I also know that there is a world of difference between, say, the efficiency of an F1 pity crew and some temp on minimum wage chucking out pies and beer for pissed up Brighton fans but there must be quick wins that could be introduced to improve the experience. Surely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here