Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Awful guest ale yesterday.

Jul 7, 2003
Some mates went in there on the rather hopeful chance that the guest ale was by Magic Rock.

Thanks for the reminder. Just been on the Magic Rock website to order some cans of Salty Kiss. Will save you one for your next trip over.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I had a pint of it in the North and thought it was all right.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Some mates went in there on the rather hopeful chance that the guest ale was by Magic Rock. Sadly it was one of the big, but bland, breweries.

Out of interest how do they decide on the guest ale? Who advises the club?

The choice of guest ale appears to be chosen from the ales of the month that Heineken supply. Each quarter Heineken send out a magazine type brochure which includes a section on the guest ales that they are supplying for any given month. The Albion then pick an ale from that list (or from the list that Heineken continuously supply) that is closest to the team that we are playing.

I do not know this totally from fact, but where I work we are supplied by Heineken, as are the Albion. This was how our ale was supplied too, until we cut a deal to let us get our ale from local suppliers instead. So now we have the excellent Long Man brewery supplying all of our ales, which is really rather nice.

EDIT: Apologies for the over use of the words supply and supplying...

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Well instead of supplying known canned/bottled beer as a substitute, why don't they simply order more Harveys?

Because it's perishable and they don't want to end up throwing any away.

As a back up they just need a couple of thousand bottles of Harvey's and maybe some cans of craft type IPA. It's not rocket science is it- ensuring your bars can always sell beer, kind of feels like an essential task when you run bars, which sell beer.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Well instead of supplying known canned/bottled beer as a substitute, why don't they simply order more Harveys?

I don’t think it’s as simple as just ordering more Harvey’s due to the capacity of the brewery. Harvey’s Brewery have long maintained they don’t want to move out of Lewes but have limited space to expand, meaning there is limit to how much beer they can physically produce. When the Amex first opened I remember some pubs in the area complaining the quality of the beer had gone down because the increased demand of serving the Amex on top of their existing client base had stretched the brewery’s production. Like I say I imagine they run on fairly tight margins now in terms of what they can supply, and it might not be possible to simply say let’s increase order of beer to the Amex.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The guest ale (theakstons lightfoot) wasn't to my taste ( i had it as the harveys was being changed) but as others have said, how great to have the choice.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I really liked the guest ale, much nicer than Harveys which is OK but I would never choose it if there was other alternatives. I miss Hophead. Loved having a couple of pints of hophead pre match.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I dream of a craft beer AMEX. Just imagine the atmosphere if the stadium was revved up on high-octane double IPAs and Imperial Stouts.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Maybe we'll get a home friendly in Summer v Aberdeen and they'll lay on some Brewdog beers.

No chance. If we play Aberdeen the thinking will go like this. Aberdeen is in Scotland, Heineken supply loads of different Caledonian Brewery Beers. Which is the cheapest? Deuchars IPA. There is your guest ale.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No chance. If we play Aberdeen the thinking will go like this. Aberdeen is in Scotland, Heineken supply loads of different Caledonian Brewery Beers. Which is the cheapest? Deuchars IPA. There is your guest ale.

Boooooooooo.

If we do play Aberdeen I'll take it upon myself to hand out Sink The Bismark Quadruple IPAs to everyone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure the Amex will be THAT revved up, if nobody can afford more than a half.

Good point. But one Quadruple IPA should do the trick. It might be more expensive but you'll get where you need to go a lot quicker and with much less effort.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good point. But one Quadruple IPA should do the trick. It might be more expensive but you'll get where you need to go a lot quicker and with much less effort.

If that's the sole aim, why not just make BUCKFAST the guest 'ale'?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Noooooooooo... :ohmy:

Yep, afraid so. I might start playing guess the guest ale before each match. Though with Brentford up next guessing London Pride is not going to make me look either big, or clever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here