Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away friendly pub in Nottingham on Sat

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I know Nottingham quite well. The trouble is that if you walk from the station, you tend to be going in the direction of the main flow of people and the pubs can get choosey about whom they let in (Hooters being the most obvious example as well as the Trent Navigation). You then end up at Notts County’s ground with its one bar staff and a half an hour wait for a beer in a placcy glass. That’s the obvious away friendly place to end up but I personally think its a horrible place.

If a quieter environment is your thing, The decent pubs in the area are the Larwood and Voce at the cricket ground – You need to be there early and not in colours as it is home fans only so this is nowhere near ideal as a recommendation. If driving (or short taxi ride from the Station), the Monkey Tree on the Bridgford rd is 10 mins walk from the stadium and unless things have changed recently reasonably quiet and nice for pre match beer. Its pretty good parking around there too. The Pearl on the same road isn’t bad either.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Regarding the club at Notts C, the service in there last season was awful, after cueing for 1/2 hr decided to go elsewhere.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pubs recommendations for Saturday are all well and good but assuming a normal 11:00 opening, you've got half an hour or so drinking time before heading to the ground.

Beggars, choosers and all that.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
It's unlikely to open before 11 so you'll not be having too many before heading to the ground.

You're right it doesn't open until 11 but our train only gets in at 10.55 so it works for us. I reckon we can squeeze a return trip in after too as our train doesn't depart until 15.32. Let's hope it's a celebratory pint!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It's unlikely to open before 11 so you'll not be having too many before heading to the ground.

11:00? Pah, You've never been knocking on the door of your local Wetherspoons at 06:00 waiting for it to open like a hobo George Best. Even the middle class eatery round by me opens early for free toast with your pint of San Miguel, just like being in Benidorm.

Loads of pubs open early doors to cater for your boderline Alcholics.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You're right it doesn't open until 11 but our train only gets in at 10.55 so it works for us. I reckon we can squeeze a return trip in after too as our train doesn't depart until 15.32. Let's hope it's a celebratory pint!

A fine choice of trains in that they are the same as mine. First Class presumably?

Forest Visitor

Mar 27, 2013
Just a suggestion but the Canalhouse, FMC AND Vat and Fiddle all great pubs as they are are a good 20 minute walk away from the away end. Hooters is en route from the station (first pub you get to) ten minutes from the ground and good for a laugh. Those not in a rush will have a good few hours after the game to sample the pubs around the canalside or venture a little further to the historic Trip to Jerusalem, Salutation Inn and others nearer the castle.
Anyway enjoy your day out whatever the score.

P.S. Hooters was open early for breakfast when I went to the Test Matches last year. Not sure if that was a one off.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
We have a saturday drinking session in reverse this week as our train doesnt get in until 11.27 (Cansd on the train ) but we dont leave until 17.40 so plenty of time to celebrate or drown our sorrows, as the women back home still think its a 3.00pm Kick off

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
A fine choice of trains in that they are the same as mine. First Class presumably?

I wish it was Bozza - no its cattle class for us. We have been booked into Coach E on the 9.15 from St Pancras but we'll try and sit together as I'm travelling with two of the kids and the reservations look like they have been spread over three rows?? Got the tickets for three of us for £62 from Littlehampton through the train line which is cheaper than the fuel to drive up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here