Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Away fans in the home stands

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I was very disappointed to see so many chelsea fans being able to get tickets in the home stands.
Pissed me off too - not least because I was the only one in the near vicinity cheering on Brighton - surrounded by sullen Chelsea supporters - and with the South Stand immediately on my left - really limited my sense of being part of the home atmosphere of supporters Booing and Cheering. Even more annoying half of them had left by 60 minutes and left rows of empty seats round me. Didn’t stop me shouting the usual Brighton supporter epithets though and enjoying the opportunity to have a good taunt at the away fans expense 😁

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Bizarrely, Saturday was the second home game (Forest the other) where there wasn't any clear indication of away fans sitting around us in the WSU.
There were two sitting right behind me in Block F. A bloke and his son, London accents and faces like smacked arsed all the way through it and left with 10 mins to go. Never seen them before.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
There were two sitting right behind me in Block F. A bloke and his son, London accents and faces like smacked arsed all the way through it and left with 10 mins to go. Never seen them before.
We've had real issues in D/F this season towards the front of the stand with away fans being pompous, ungracious arseholes. Seemed okay yesterday.

(Not disbelieving you at all! Good they had little to be happy about and pissed off early!)

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
We've had real issues in D/F this season towards the front of the stand with away fans being pompous, ungracious arseholes. Seemed okay yesterday.

(Not disbelieving you at all! Good they had little to be happy about and pissed off early!)
They didn't cause any trouble but I don't know how much fun that can be. Watching fans go mad around you. You can't even enjoy it when you're winning. I did it once at QPR a few years back. In their 'neutral' bit. Never again.

Ailema

Oct 26, 2022
There have been away fans in every match against a 'big' club. I had two Manure fans next to me when we walloped them. Sat silently in their seats every time we scored. The couple of Chelski fans in our stand were removed this time. I don't know why people bother, because I can think of nothing worse than sitting in a home stand and having to sit there in silence. The combination of away fans in the home ends and football tourists is the reason atmospheres suffer at grounds. Ironically, the 'big' clubs are worst for football tourism.

Bryanw42

Nov 8, 2021
Epsom
Me and my three boys have myalbion+ membership. We are Brighton fans, in case of any doubt. My eldest son invited his Chelsea supporting mate and his mate's dad, a lifelong Chelsea fan came also on the guest allocation of our memberships. They were dressed neutrally, were respectful (clapping the Albion at obvious moments, trying to hide their utter despair - but they stopped short joining us in singing..) and actually despite the loss were not bitter and they really admired our team and the atmosphere we drummed up. On the way home the Chelsea boy was asking if he could come to other Brighton games. Could be a convert.. So that's a positive and I think an acceptable scenario.
There were however 4 blatant Chelsea tw*ts behind us, sulking, making sarcastic remarks against our team. They openly celebrated the goal and skulked off before the ends. Cu**s - and not acceptable.
In no way could I stomach going to Stamford Bridge for the return, in a Chelsea section but I was OK with a 10 yr old and his dad coming to ours.
I am also very frustrated by blatant away fans coming in our sections and they should be kicked out - but the odd sprinkling of mates who support other teams, as above I think is OK if they are respectful.
Rather surreally, there were about 10 blokes next to us wearing the scarves of an obscure league 2 or 3 Dutch team (can't remember). I spoke to one of them and they were invited by a lifelong Brighton fan (further up the row). Some of them had brought some Brighton scarves also and to be honest, they were brilliant and were adding to our support, getting properly involved and singing what they could understand to join in with.

It's very hard to control at home and there are scenarios where it could be a good thing and I'm sure in some cases, we gain new fans. As long as we give a nod to the stewards when there are blatant away fans taking the piss, we can help police it, if bothered by it enough.

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think what irks me a bit is the things away fans have been told about the club charter which (rightfully) states that Brighton fans can be banned for 10 home games for passing on away tickets, and have been punished. The club charter also states any supporter found passing on tickets to away fans at home games is banned for 5, however this seems to rarely been acted upon. Rapper Arrdee was proudly boasting about how he got tickets in the home end at the back of the north despite being a Chelsea fan, strangely the club don’t seem bothered about it. Strange that Arrdee has made his entire personality about being from Brighton, but supports Chelsea.

Not that either issue bothers me massively, but I don’t understand why punishments are handed out to the BHAFC away supporters so strictly, but they show a blind eye to home fans passing on tickets all the time. For the first part of this season I had a spurs fan next to me for the spurs game, and in the same seat top 6 supporters every game for whatever team is playing (Liverpool, United, City) last season. I don’t want that, I want to be around Brighton supporters.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
This is an unpopular view (for which I have been shouted down in the past but I'll make the point again), but some are probably using the tickets they use every week. Chelsea are their 'big' team but they're happy to support Brighton the rest of the time.

And no I can't quantify it, but I do know of one Albion STH for whom that is the case.
As others have pointed out, they are not likely to be season ticket holders but have joined the ticket scheme to get a fan number and thereby purchase an occasional match ticket. Easy peasy.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think what irks me a bit is the things away fans have been told about the club charter which (rightfully) states that Brighton fans can be banned for 10 home games for passing on away tickets, and have been punished. The club charter also states any supporter found passing on tickets to away fans at home games is banned for 5, however this seems to rarely been acted upon. Rapper Arrdee was proudly boasting about how he got tickets in the home end at the back of the north despite being a Chelsea fan, strangely the club don’t seem bothered about it. Strange that Arrdee has made his entire personality about being from Brighton, but supports Chelsea.
Maybe he is from Brighton but supports Chelsea.

The whole thing does sound pretty annoying though if the club gets very petty about their own fans but shrugs when it comes to others.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Mentioned this before but for the Spurs game at the Amex this season there were a couple of families trying to get into the East stand and the kids (all teenagers) all had Spurs branded gear on, one even had a Spurs scarf on. They seemed surprised they weren't being let in. Presumably they've never been to a football match in their lives before as can't see why any regular attendee would think that was going to work.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Mentioned this before but for the Spurs game at the Amex this season there were a couple of families trying to get into the East stand and the kids (all teenagers) all had Spurs branded gear on, one even had a Spurs scarf on. They seemed surprised they weren't being let in. Presumably they've never been to a football match in their lives before as can't see why any regular attendee would think that was going to work.
Undue sense of entitlement.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As others have pointed out, they are not likely to be season ticket holders but have joined the ticket scheme to get a fan number and thereby purchase an occasional match ticket. Easy peasy.
I do think it's a mixture. As I said I know of an Albion STH who is first and foremost a Chelsea fan. I can't believe I know the only Amex STH for whom Brighton isn't his first club.

(This is what happened last time this topic came up. There was a level of disbelief when it was suggested that not all Amex STHs are Brighton through-and-through)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I just love all the Mitoma fans we've adopted. Sweet Japanese student kids who are having their very best fun in Brighton town
A massive thumbs up to this.

And a very special mention, for the stunning Japanese girl, at one recent game, wearing ONLY a Mitoma Albion shirt, as a minidress. :love:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yup, fair play for playing by the rules and scoring a ticket to watch the club they just live round the corner from :moo:

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Had two sat next to me in WSU on Saturday. First time they had been, they absolutely loved it and were quite knowledgeable.
Definitely think we need a chant to the tune of 'informer' by snow. I just don't know what you rhyme with 'wibbedy bibbedy dibeddy bibbedy bayooo a licky bum bum down' without it becoming too offensive.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Two people sat next to me, never seen before, but like the scouse bloke who I’ve only ever seen for the Liverpool game last season. Made sure I sang a bit louder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here