Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Away attendence

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think the fact that alot of clubs in this league are up north doesn't help us. Plus the fact that we tend to also have them on Tuesday nights eg. Hudds this year and last I believe.

Well it didn't seem to make much difference to the likes of Brentford, and especially Bournemouth. I'm frankly amazed that we are as low as 18th in that table.

el punal

Although I enjoy going on away trips to watch the Albion the cost is somewhat prohibitive. I am a season ticket holder in the West Upper and therefore my prerogative is to attend as many home games as possible (this probably applies to many of us in this situation). On that basis I have to be somewhat selective on which away fixtures I choose - two or three southern based clubs and one oop north is the norm.

Besides, living in Southampton makes even home games like an away trip - but hey ho still a great day out! :albion2:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Tends to be very small away ends in the southeast although Fulham and Charlton are 3k...Also our southern games are always midweek it seems.
Up north or Midlands you have bigger away ends and they have a lot of Saturday local games...Also a lot of clubs up those parts have a large southern fan base unlike us southerners who rarely move up north.

I'd say our dire negative away football is also an issue as it was boring under gus as well.The home football is very similar too though:lolol:

SAC

May 21, 2014
I'm amazed that Millwall's away figures are that high. They have restrictions on the number of tickets they can buy to the big matches (for them) like Cardiff and Dirty Leeds. They had a woeful season and their home attendances are about 10,500. The figures for Rotherham are pretty impressive too.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
If we had played like Bournemouth, Brentford and Boro last season, or the season before I suggest we would have matched them and even bettered them for away crowds. Like it or not the fare on offer influences whether people go to away games, Under Gus I went to loads, under Oscar I went to some, under Hyppia I went to one and under Hughton I have managed one. If we carry on playing like we did last season I doubt I'll go to any unless I happen to be in the area on the day. Bad enough watching shit at home without spending a day travelling to watch it and the football on offer being the low light of the day.

We are ****ING dull to watch these days and if not falling over myself to watch it makes me a fair weather fan, then so be it :shrug:

fair_weather_fan_products_by_troubleshooter_tshirt-rc5e90ed79d4e44d4b76c047ca3a2f823_wio57_324.jpg

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
It's bad enough watching our lot for 23 home matches let alone travelling long distances to watch em away, I got off the coach on route to Millwall last year, started thinking what the hell am I doing this for on a Tuesday night, i was justified as it was another tedious 0-0
Entertaining football with just the chance of scoring the odd goal would make people start travelling again, our first season at the Amex the away crowds were good as the club were riding on the crest of a wave

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Indeed. Wonder why though? Has our 'old' away support given up now we've got the Amex leaving us with kids and the NSK idiots singing rubbish all game?
No, some of us have got 'old' in that time and had families etc. I still make a fair bit of noise, albeit often on my own, in the family stand. But at other times, I simply feel my age a little more than 5 or 10 years ago. Having the Amex is wonderful but it has stopped any idea of traveling entering my head. I suspect that most other older fans feel similar.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The fact we were terrible to watch is the main reason for our poor attendance.

Having Blackpool, Cardiff, Sheffield Wednesday :lol:, Bolton, Blackburn, Rotherham,
Wigan and Middlesbrough as our final run in didn't really help either(excluding midweek trips to Millwall and Reading).

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Indeed. Wonder why though? Has our 'old' away support given up now we've got the Amex leaving us with kids and the NSK idiots singing rubbish all game?

Pretty much yeah, the faces mixed in with our away support now compared to the 2000's has changed in my opinion. Use to have a decent hardcore, lots of blokes and took over a fair few towns. Now it's a new wave with the some beer monsters chucked in who remember better times.

Sure there's the odd cracker like forest,Charlton,Fulham but expect our away support to average around 1200 next season.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I suspect that a number of fans desire to attend away games has been dented by a combination of our style of play and form.

Some away games towards the back end of last season were there for the taking but Hughton seemed content grind out 0-0 or somehow accept 0-1 defeats, which were painful to watch (and cannot have been much fun for the players either). Our performances at Rotherham and Wigan were feeble. It is rather sad but I fear that many fans took the view that if Hughton couldn't be bothered, then why should we?

With hindsight I enjoyed the away games under Hyppia and caretaker Jones more than under Hughton, which is rather telling. The convincing wins at Leeds, Fulham come to mind and decent draws at Norwich and even the defeats at Bournemouth and Brentford showed positive attacking (albeit naïve) intent. Under Hyypia our defending was often a car crash but at least we had a go against form sides and scored goals. Whereas Hughton's approach was pretty uninspiring. OK he steered us away from danger but our finishing position could have bit a bit more respectable. I think most Albion fans want to see a team that displays passion and commitment even if they don't win.

I probably attended 10-15 away games over each of our recent seasons. There is a devoted hardcore of faces that manage more away games than me but I sense the commitment of many diehards is being tested, which is a pity. I'm still prepared to put in the hard miles including the depths of winter but have to say that I might be a bit more selective next season if the manager is happy to grind out 0-0 draws at best. I hope he proves me wrong.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
When we got the Amex, I stated that I thought our away attendances would fall, and was told I was talking rubbish.

Lots of our fans only went to away games as they hated Withdean, when we got the Amex, those fans got STs so a lot couldn't afford to do both.

Of course, if we are top end of the league, we'd be doing significantly better.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I suspect that a number of fans desire to attend away games has been dented by a combination of our style of play and form.

Some away games towards the back end of last season were there for the taking but Hughton seemed content grind out 0-0 or somehow accept 0-1 defeats, which were painful to watch (and cannot have been much fun for the players either). Our performances at Rotherham and Wigan were feeble. It is rather sad but I fear that many fans took the view that if Hughton couldn't be bothered, then why should we?

With hindsight I enjoyed the away games under Hyppia and caretaker Jones more than under Hughton, which is rather telling. The convincing wins at Leeds, Fulham come to mind and decent draws at Norwich and even the defeats at Bournemouth and Brentford showed positive attacking (albeit naïve) intent. Under Hyypia our defending was often a car crash but at least we had a go against form sides and scored goals. Whereas Hughton's approach was pretty uninspiring. OK he steered us away from danger but our finishing position could have bit a bit more respectable. I think most Albion fans want to see a team that displays passion and commitment even if they don't win.

I probably attended 10-15 away games over each of our recent seasons. There is a devoted hardcore of faces that manage more away games than me but I sense the commitment of many diehards is being tested, which is a pity. I'm still prepared to put in the hard miles including the depths of winter but have to say that I might be a bit more selective next season if the manager is happy to grind out 0-0 draws at best. I hope he proves me wrong.

Agree with the last paragraph. I definitely saw my self choosing to miss more games last season and not be overly bothered with it, whereas in previous seasons I missed no more than 2/3 a season.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Very much this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here