Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aviation industry and Covid-19

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed, I would rather take a ferry and then walk than take a Ryanair flight. Michael O’Leary is a despicably arrogant man...imo

I've always felt lucky that Ryanair's UK flights seem to be mainly based a long way from Brighton at Stansted and Luton.

Gatwick, City and Heathrow are my limits, so I've never flown with Ryanair.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems very odd I agree. But how do people get to and from the airport in lockdown?

Here the borders have been closed for weeks, and before that an enforced two week quarantine for overseas arrivals. We are still locked down (not to the level of the UK) but have had around 6.5k cases and 90 deaths. Seems the complete ban on international travel does make a difference.

The Aussie figures would doubtless have been even lower if they hadn't allowed passengers to disembark from that floating petri dish and just wander off into the Sydney sunset without any kind of health checks at all

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I've always felt lucky that Ryanair's UK flights seem to be mainly based a long way from Brighton at Stansted and Luton.

Gatwick, City and Heathrow are my limits, so I've never flown with Ryanair.

Same here and will never use them unless no other option.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The Aussie figures would doubtless have been even lower if they hadn't allowed passengers to disembark from that floating petri dish and just wander off into the Sydney sunset without any kind of health checks at all

Very true. That said, I was very uncomfortable with the way the people on that boat were treated for weeks. They were refused permission to enter port for weeks on end, leading to more infection and death. There should have been a humanitarian operation to get everyone off and into quarantine or medical care. The Aussies were showing their inbuilt selfish/mild racist tendencies there.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
look at the profits these Aviation compnanies make.

Hard to have any sympathy

Look at all the thousands of people who work for them. Think about Gatwick and think about Virgin and a large number of those people will be Sussex residents. I'm saddened by the ****ish attitude of some on here who are simply 'I want my money back now and as long as I'm OK then screw everyone else'

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Look at all the thousands of people who work for them. Think about Gatwick and think about Virgin and a large number of those people will be Sussex residents. I'm saddened by the ****ish attitude of some on here who are simply 'I want my money back now and as long as I'm OK then screw everyone else'

Think the Government will act now.

Real danger of Gatwick becoming a ghost town.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

my point. The thousands of often low skilled workers who depend on the income. Cast aside to protect the profits for the shareholders. Yeah its disgusting.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
It’s genuinely a Spanish-UK company, if they’re entitled to aid, they should take it. Saving some jobs, livelihoods and routes.

Not sure any airline deserves aid. The sky had become clogged with gas guzzling planes. Too many IMO. Electric cars seen as a necessity. Maybe planes should be electric (is it possible). I`d hazzard a guess at shortish haul only.

The non stop flight to Perth was lauded ..... Imagine they were working on non stop to Sydney. May have been a good idea three months ago. Now or in the near future ? doubt it.
Yes it is not good for those employed in industry but maybe the planet has to be considered more important.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure any airline deserves aid. The sky had become clogged with gas guzzling planes. Too many IMO. Electric cars seen as a necessity. Maybe planes should be electric (is it possible). I`d hazzard a guess at shortish haul only.

The non stop flight to Perth was lauded ..... Imagine they were working on non stop to Sydney. May have been a good idea three months ago. Now or in the near future ? doubt it.
Yes it is not good for those employed in industry but maybe the planet has to be considered more important.

I’m loving the huge benefits to the planet from lockdown, if only some could be maintained for good.

Sadly and cynically, I do things across the world will get back ‘to normal’ in no short time - mass consumerism (we all do it... think about constant deliveries of goods to our homes, all items that have used resources to make and transport).

I think air travel will return to high levels in the medium term. Many of us including me talk the talk, but then plan overseas travel including long haul. Similarly I have friends in the Ashdown Forest area who are massive opponents of Gatwick Airport in every way, part of a very well oiled organisation of middle class folk and professionals who fight Gatwick every step of the way. Then they fly out of Gatwick several times a year on leisure.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
IAG get state aid via Spain :laugh::laugh:

BA are playing the system very well

750M to Iberia
250M to Vueling

Have BA also received some? Or are those companies passing some on?

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

Project Sunrise - Qantas still very much pushing ahead with this.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I love travelling places but I’d be the first to admit it has basically become just too cheap and left to grow unrestricted, maybe the planet is saying to us humans here’s a second chance. Don’t waste it….

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Wizz Air flights resuming today from Luton to Spain, Portugal, Israel etc. How on earth is that allowed to happen when we're supposedly still in lockdown? What gives? ???

Well, exactly

So are we in lockdown or not?

Last time I checked, the 4 permissible reasons to leave your home were to:

1, Travel to work but only of your work cannot be done form home.
2. Get essential shopping
3. Get medicines
4. Exercise

Nowhere does it include mincing off to Luton airport to go to Spain. And what about the people coming in? If they don't live here, where will they 'lockdown'? Oh, that's right; they won't.

I don't want to go to Luton airport but I quite fancy going to Gloucestershire to see my family, so I'm assuming that is okay too now. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here