Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Average Attendance Analysis

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I wish that my life was so easy and stress free that I could be bothered to get my knickers in a twist over the fact that the club announce tickets sold rather than true attendance.

I'm sorry to hear your life is difficult.

The fairly simple point here is that an actual attendance figure of 24,000 that everyone actually believes is a great deal more impressive and carries a great deal more clout than an announced but manipulated figure of 27,000 that everyone knows to be bullsh1t that gets made up purely for marketing/bragging purposes. Credibility matters.

And if I was a company interested in getting involved on the basis of crowd figures, I'd actually want to trust the people I was dealing with not to be f**king around with them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I wish that my life was so easy and stress free that I could be bothered to get my knickers in a twist over the fact that the club announce tickets sold rather than true attendance.

Nobody's got their knickers in a twist, other than out of pure interest that it's mildly interesting to know how many are in the ground, and whether interest in home games is peaking or dwindling throughout the season, y'know all the normal human interest stuff. It's pure corporate bolleaux that our intelligence is insulted with some fantasy figure that is based on anything other than the number of people in the ground. Its the club's absolute right to call any figure they choose, but please don't call it attendance. Cos it's not.

Albion Rob

The fairly simple point here is that an actual attendance figure of 24,000 that everyone actually believes is a great deal more impressive and carries a great deal more clout than an announced but manipulated figure of 27,000 that everyone knows to be bullsh1t that gets made up purely for marketing/bragging purposes. Credibility matters.

And if I was a company interested in getting involved on the basis of crowd figures, I'd actually want to trust the people I was dealing with not to be f**king around with them.

I absolutely agree with you in principle but I guess there's a bit of a trick of the mind thing going on here. For example, when I look at the attendances in the Sunday paper (something I actually do, sadly) and I note a healthy 14,400 crowd at Bradford v Dagenham I think: "Fair play to those Yorkshiremen." Rather than: "I wonder how many were there or whether that's just ticket sales." Maybe that's just me and I'm being a bit dense but on the other hand perhaps Barber and his pals win again with their sleight of hand over ticket sales v actual attendance.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I note a healthy 14,400 crowd at Bradford v Dagenham I think: "Fair play to those Yorkshiremen." Rather than: "I wonder how many were there or whether that's just ticket sales."

If its Yorkshiremen you can bet your life there were 14,400 in the crowd. Wouldn't get 4,000 of those pissing a ticket up the wall :lol:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I absolutely agree with you in principle but I guess there's a bit of a trick of the mind thing going on here. For example, when I look at the attendances in the Sunday paper (something I actually do, sadly) and I note a healthy 14,400 crowd at Bradford v Dagenham I think: "Fair play to those Yorkshiremen." Rather than: "I wonder how many were there or whether that's just ticket sales." Maybe that's just me and I'm being a bit dense but on the other hand perhaps Barber and his pals win again with their sleight of hand over ticket sales v actual attendance.

It's not fair play tho, which is why match day income is a better measure & noted meticulously in The Italian sports press
2 reasons why a Bradford ST costs just £100 so they sell 10,000...
Brighton sell more lots more corporate than the two above in the list so really should be further up on what really counts, INCOME

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I know some jest about it but others seem completely hung about the fact that the figure is tickets sold rather than people through the turnstile. Get a life because it has been done to death. We all know that the 'attendence' figure is tickets sold and yes, maybe they should announce it as 'tickets sold for todays game were xxxxx with xxxx number of away fans' but does it really make a difference?

The club know how many are in the ground and on match day the relevance of that is in respect of concessions, programme sales, safety etc.[

totally agree , i dont understand why people get so stressed up about the actual attendance or tickets sold . Back at the Goldstone they often gave false attendances , but back then they would give the attendance lower than the actual attendance .

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Are there any league rules about attendance and pretendance figures does anybody know? Because we're clearly not being told how many people are in the ground. And the turnstiles still click, so its a known figure, just not a publicly published figure for whatever reason.

Why should we be told?
Why does it matter?
No-one is being deceived.
It is simply the number of ticketz sold.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It's not bullshit though is it. We all know it is tickets sold and the vast majority accept it for what it is. Also, how do you know that the club don't release actual attendance figures when discussing commercial contracts! You think the people they deal with, bearing in mind the value of the deals, are stupid. PB has on numerous occasions explained that they announce those figures because that is the standard practice in the league.

The only problem here is your idle curiosity!

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
attendance

1.1 [COUNT NOUN] The number of people present at a particular place or event

It's not fair play tho, which is why match day income is a better measure & noted meticulously in The Italian sports press
2 reasons why a Bradford ST costs just £100 so they sell 10,000...
Brighton sell more lots more corporate than the two above in the list so really should be further up on what really counts, INCOME

So sad that you think income is what really counts. A shame that football is seen as a business, rather than a sport. I hope that this nightmare of money, money, money will one day be over.

Back to attendences, there are parts of the country that are still struggling financially. A desisive factor given many people can no longer afford to go to games.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Oh bloody hell I posted this as I thought it was interesting, but I see we are having another binfest over attendance v tickets sold.

The majority of clubs in the top two divisions do it so for comparison it still works I believe. Also in terms of demonstrating which teams should have an income advantage tickets sold has to be the best measure, alongside how recently they were in the premiership and receiving parachute payments.

One point made above is that Pompey need serious investment to get them out of the mire.

They don't, they just need sensible management off the pitch. It's what Dick Knight gave us. Getting out of league two with their crowds should be a piece of piss, as Luton will demonstrate next season.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So sad that you think income is what really counts. A shame that football is seen as a business, rather than a sport. I hope that this nightmare of money, money, money will one day be over.

Back to attendences, there are parts of the country that are still struggling financially. A desisive factor given many people can no longer afford to go to games.

When has football not been about money? Even at amateur level, clubs still need to raise funds to hire pitches, buy kit etc. You seem to have some romantic notion that organized football was once free!!

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
attendance

1.1 [COUNT NOUN] The number of people present at a particular place or event

When has football not been about money? Even at amateur level, clubs still need to raise funds to hire pitches, buy kit etc. You seem to have some romantic notion that organized football was once free!!

I would have thought success and watching good football might be more important to fans than how many hooray henrys are eating prawn sandwiches.

You are right, money is important. Of course it is. Clubs went bust in the 1930s. But it is now disgusting. Rooney get more in a mornings pay than some hard working people get in a year is wrong. To start measuring success on the basis of club income, well that is a bit sad.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I would have thought success and watching good football might be more important to fans than how many hooray henrys are eating prawn sandwiches.

You are right, money is important. Of course it is. Clubs went bust in the 1930s. But it is now disgusting. Rooney get more in a mornings pay than some hard working people get in a year is wrong. To start measuring success on the basis of club income, well that is a bit sad.

Don't think anyone here is measuring success on income. Just that the more income you have the more you can spend on better players to bring the success on the pitch. It's not rocket science.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here