Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Average age of supporters who attend home games regularly - & what it means for the future

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
When they started selling the tickets for the then newly-built stadium, there were many who went into the WSU having been much of the old guard in the Goldstone North Stand. And that was blokes - plus 20 years.

We allowed the rites of passage for the next generation in the North Stand to take place - the timid, quiet, well-behaved, non-sweary little cherubs.

Yeah, that.

#SingUpNorthStand :p

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I'm 60 too, Simmo, and have always sat/stood where our main vocal support is. While we DO need more people like you (and maybe even me!) we need the youngsters even more and it's great to see people of all ages following the Albion. Not long ago it just seemed to be men of a certain age as the kids didn't want to be associated with a club with no ground and an uncertain future.....

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If you listen to this interview with the head of marketing, Tom Gorringe, from 18 minutes in he starts talking about the ages of our fan base. We have a spike from 16-18 (or over-index as he puts it), and then from 18 to mid 30s it drops off, before peaking again for older supporters (basically down to playing at Withdean and Gillingham for 14 years).

So based upon this, your fear is unfounded. We are attracting a large number of younger supporters, but struggle to convert those in their 20s and 30s.

https://audioboom.com/posts/5030263-tom-gorringe

It would be interesting to analyze those figures to establish whether we have a bit of a revenue cliff coming, especially as those aged 16-18 mature into early adulthood and affordability becomes an issue.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
My teenage children have no interest in football. I've tried, but they don't want to go, don't care about it, have other interests.

When I was just older than a teenager (I didn't have the opportunity to go before) I used to walk to the football and pay on the gate; it was often a spur of the moment thing on a Saturday or midweek. This is not how it can be for people now - you either are committed, or you don't go. Many choose the latter as it's easier.

It's obvious the crowd at the Albion is a lot older than it used to be twenty years ago or earlier. What will it be like in 20 or 30 years? If the club is doing well there will be plenty of people who want to go (try getting a home ticket for a club like Spurs at the moment - you won't be able to). If the club is not doing so well and with a lot of the committed supporters getting on a bit, then I can see problems ahead for the game generally - not just B&HA. At that point prices will have to come (relatively) down or the crowds won't be there.

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
Reckon we lost a generation of supporters at least during the Priestfield / Withdean days , Can't confirm this but i read somewhere that last season we had approaching 5k of junior season ticket holders :eek: , always amazes me the amount of kids i see at the Amex can't see anything but a growing younger fan base if we keep being successful and the club continues to encourage the nippers with fair pricing for families , they are tomorrow's grumpy 50 year old NSC'ers who like nothing more than to correct spelling mistakes and say Your Mum a lot . But in answer to the original question , yes especially at london area away games .

I'm 30 and used to go to the Withdean regularly as a teenager along with a number of friends a similar age, I think the fact the ground only held around 5-6k home supports the majority of which were older and male probably did limit some supporters around my age but as per the other comments in this thread behind the goals and in the East Stand there is a good mix of young kids, teenagers and young adults now as the AMEX can accommodate these. I expect a lot of these at new fans have started attending in the last 4/5 years co-inciding with the upgrading of capacity in the stadium and our positive run of form (bar Hypia's brief spell in charge)! I think the future is a bright one and if we get to the Prem this year then a whole new younger generation of fans will appear.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It would be interesting to analyze those figures to establish whether we have a bit of a revenue cliff coming, especially as those aged 16-18 mature into early adulthood and affordability becomes an issue.

Er, unless we stopped breeding at the turn of the millennium I think they'll be kids to replace them???

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Er, unless we stopped breeding at the turn of the millennium I think they'll be kids to replace them???

There will be kids, but will there be a generation of 40 year olds in 10 years time committed to taking their kids to the Albion. I don't know, but that's the analysis of behaviour and buying that would be interesting. That also assumes that ticket sales is important to the business model moving forward.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
My teenage children have no interest in football. I've tried, but they don't want to go, don't care about it, have other interests.

You have failed sir:wink:

It's obvious the crowd at the Albion is a lot older than it used to be twenty years ago or earlier. What will it be like in 20 or 30 years? If the club is doing well there will be plenty of people who want to go (try getting a home ticket for a club like Spurs at the moment - you won't be able to). If the club is not doing so well and with a lot of the committed supporters getting on a bit, then I can see problems ahead for the game generally - not just B&HA. At that point prices will have to come (relatively) down or the crowds won't be there.

It's not obvious at all, there are kids everywhere. It's the age group in between that took the hit.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
It's not obvious at all, there are kids everywhere. It's the age group in between that took the hit.
Yes, maybe you're right there... that will be me failing with my kids :( I probably gravitate towards the non-kid areas.

I was thinking maybe more of the groups of teenagers there used to be rather than younger kids; as someone said above, will they continue going when they have to pay their own way?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There's definitely a kid behind me who can't stop KICKING MY ****ING CHAIR.

They grow bigger though, I had three years of this but now his feet reach the ground and the kicking has stopped. Fecking annoying when it happens though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here