Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Avengers: Endgame (Spoilers in here)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Have only seen a couple of them, really not my thing at all, but will definitely be going to see this one because loads of it was filmed in St Abbs, where my parents lived for their last 15 years. Been there more times than I can begin to count, so will be great to see it in the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Also, am I the only one that dislikes Captain America? I find him hugely annoying(even if the winter soldier and civil war are two of the best marvel movies).
He's my favourite in the MCU (along with Thor), Chris Evans plays him perfectly, become one of my favourites in the comics in the last few years also.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He's my favourite in the MCU (along with Thor), Chris Evans plays him perfectly, become one of my favourites in the comics in the last few years also.

Really? I can't claim to be a huge marvel fan, I've never read the comics and I've kind of watched the movies through default - they're well made and are mostly entertaining so whenever I've been debating what to watch I've landed on them because I know they're going to be at worst pretty enjoyable and at best huge fun.

So I realise I'm not invested in the characters and their stories as much as some but I just find the captain insufferable. To me he's a sanctimonious prig representing the America where everyone is a good, white Christian. I know he's the foil to Iron man but my goodness I find him a dull character.

I really hope the new Captain America will be more fun.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Really? I can't claim to be a huge marvel fan, I've never read the comics and I've kind of watched the movies through default - they're well made and are mostly entertaining so whenever I've been debating what to watch I've landed on them because I know they're going to be at worst pretty enjoyable and at best huge fun.

So I realise I'm not invested in the characters and their stories as much as some but I just find the captain insufferable. To me he's a sanctimonious prig representing the America where everyone is a good, white Christian. I know he's the foil to Iron man but my goodness I find him a dull character.

That's the point. He's a man out of time, literally created in the 2nd World War and deployed as a PR puppet for 'American Values' and finally became the embodiment of those values. When we has frozen and awoken in 2015 it was a direct transplant of his simplistic, idealistic world view into the much more complex world of today.

However, his ideals and moral compass saves the day in Captain America Winter Soldier, where he is pretty much the only person who has doubts about where Shield was going. In the Avengers movies he acts as a counterpoint to Tony Stark, who's morals are less well defined and based upon a very different story arc.

In End Game they made a joke about his sanctimonious and simplistic attitude when 'our' Cap fought 2015 Cap.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
*Big spoilers, massive, the kind you find on the back of a chavved up Corsa are coming, look away now if you don't want the film to be ruined*

I have warned you.

Did anybody else notice the random teenager at the funeral at the end? Apparently it is the kid that was in Iron Man 3 and the noises at the end of the credits are from when Tony was making the Mk. 1 Armour, makes me think that he is going to be the new Iron Man.

Also, Hayley Atwell :love:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That's the point. He's a man out of time, literally created in the 2nd World War and deployed as a PR puppet for 'American Values' and finally became the embodiment of those values. When we has frozen and awoken in 2015 it was a direct transplant of his simplistic, idealistic world view into the much more complex world of today.

However, his ideals and moral compass saves the day in Captain America Winter Soldier, where he is pretty much the only person who has doubts about where Shield was going. In the Avengers movies he acts as a counterpoint to Tony Stark, who's morals are less well defined and based upon a very different story arc.

In End Game they made a joke about his sanctimonious and simplistic attitude when 'our' Cap fought 2015 Cap.

Yeah, I kind of get all that.

I just find him extremely dull and it annoys me that such a one dimensional character(and to me he is one dimensional) is always up there as the lead/co-lead. If he was a more minor lead character like hawk eye or even black widow I wouldn't mind so much but he's not. He's front and centre constantly and I find his personification of the imagined virtuous American character cloying. How is it that he's the only one 'worthy' of using Thor's hammer? It just strikes me as more of the good old fashioned U.S.A, U.S.A! mentality. America, the real America, is always number one.

I feel his character could have represented the out of time, different way of thinking in a better, more nuanced, more subtle and more entertaining way. Every time he has a fight I'm rooting for the other guy to kill him. Basically, I think he's a colossal bore and a bit of a dick. I guess I'm the only one that thinks that!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

hmmm, i think Caps more formal nature as portrayed in the MCU is down to him coming from another era but I don't think the 'good, white Chrisitan' bit is fair imo - an dhe has been much better developed in the comic books such as the 'Civil War' series.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
hmmm, i think Caps more formal nature as portrayed in the MCU is down to him coming from another era but I don't think the 'good, white Chrisitan' bit is fair imo - an dhe has been much better developed in the comic books such as the 'Civil War' series.

I have no idea about the comics, I'm basing it purely on my impressions from the films.

I'm coming to the conclusion that it really is just me. None of my friends have the same opinion, certainly not as strongly held, as me. I'll just have to grin and bear it when he's on screen!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yeah, I kind of get all that.

I just find him extremely dull and it annoys me that such a one dimensional character(and to me he is one dimensional) is always up there as the lead/co-lead. If he was a more minor lead character like hawk eye or even black widow I wouldn't mind so much but he's not. He's front and centre constantly and I find his personification of the imagined virtuous American character cloying. How is it that he's the only one 'worthy' of using Thor's hammer? It just strikes me as more of the good old fashioned U.S.A, U.S.A! mentality. America, the real America, is always number one.

I feel his character could have represented the out of time, different way of thinking in a better, more nuanced, more subtle and more entertaining way. Every time he has a fight I'm rooting for the other guy to kill him. Basically, I think he's a colossal bore and a bit of a dick. I guess I'm the only one that thinks that!

I have no idea about the comics, I'm basing it purely on my impressions from the films.

I'm coming to the conclusion that it really is just me. None of my friends have the same opinion, certainly not as strongly held, as me. I'll just have to grin and bear it when he's on screen!

And I forgot to add a key point in my reply earlier. As made clear from the meeting of 2024 and 2015 Cap in the film shows, Cap HAS changed since the snap, as shown by his frequent use of language he was chastising people for using in previous films.

His line 'Lets go get the son of a bitch' is certainly not something earlier Cap would ever dream of saying. He has changed.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
And I forgot to add a key point in my reply earlier. As made clear from the meeting of 2024 and 2015 Cap in the film shows, Cap HAS changed since the snap, as shown by his frequent use of language he was chastising people for using in previous films.

His line 'Lets go get the son of a bitch' is certainly not something earlier Cap would ever dream of saying. He has changed.

So in conclusion it's an irrational hatred of the character? Ah, well.

(he is a dick though, right? Right??:D)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
[tweet]1123968719607218179[/tweet]

Hopefully that means the release of a slew of merchandise, including a print (poster or canvass) of either that shot of Captain America standing up as Thanos's forces line up, or the shot of all the portals opening and Falcon flying, or the shot of all the avengers lined up ready to fight...

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Finally saw it yesterday...brilliant movie. I've missed a couple of the other Marvel films, but didnt find it detracted from seeing this at all - & it tied things up nicely (if a bit sad!)
Only thing that spoilt it for me was the constant rustle of paper bags as people scoffed their way through the entire 3 hrs. Seriously folks, can you not go just a little while without needing to stuff your face into a popcorn or crisp bag like a horse?!? :glare:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
37A34AD8-717A-4F73-AF41-83CBA7E21806.jpeg

I saw Loki on Sunday

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Did anyone see this film without seeing Ant Man 2 ?

Was it at all confusing as to how they got to this point?

I didn't see Ant Man & The Wasp before this, it didn't detract from the film at all, but Ant Man is a pretty major part of the story here and I think seeing it may have helped a bit ( I have seen Ant Man)

Rushed to see Captain Marvel before this though and don't think I would have missed anything if I hadn't bothered. I reckon she is only in about 3 mins of the entire film.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I didn't see Ant Man & The Wasp before this, it didn't detract from the film at all, but Ant Man is a pretty major part of the story here and I think seeing it may have helped a bit ( I have seen Ant Man)

Rushed to see Captain Marvel before this though and don't think I would have missed anything if I hadn't bothered. I reckon she is only in about 3 mins of the entire film.

The GOTG cast are the main characters in both parts, far more than captain Marval.

I came out of CM thinking the only reason they have made this film was to show her ability to destroy spaceships, which was proved to be correct.

The only reason she was in End Game was to sequel bait.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here