Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Autumnal dinners

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Got a fancy slow cooker with various settings and one of them is porridge. Set it night before and lovely porridge for breakfast.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Love a lot of stuff on this thread already, oxtail and beef cheeks being my favourite stews.

Mussels are now back in peak season and a big bowl of moules mariniere with crusty bread is a perfect warming lunch.

Mushrooms also good at this time of year. Quite like roasting chicken thighs on a bed of wild mushrooms and whole garlic cloves. Squish the cooked garlic in to the sauce at the end and eat the chicken & mushrooms, mopping up the garlicky juice with flatbreads.

*drool*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Love a lot of stuff on this thread already, oxtail and beef cheeks being my favourite stews.

Mussels are now back in peak season and a big bowl of moules mariniere with crusty bread is a perfect warming lunch.

Mushrooms also good at this time of year. Quite like roasting chicken thighs on a bed of wild mushrooms and whole garlic cloves. Squish the cooked garlic in to the sauce at the end and eat the chicken & mushrooms, mopping up the garlicky juice with flatbreads.

*drool*

Proceeding on foot.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
In the Autumn I mostly like to eat a collection of variously coloured leaves from my local park or woodland. If you are tempted to try this and you can't wait to dive into your nearest leaf-pile, please be very careful not to disturb any hibernating hedgehogs. If you would like to make this dish for a special occasion, try adding a little Choritthhho, or serve it on an old roof slate.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sounds like you've had badly cooked cheeks. They should be deliciously melt-in-the-mouth meaty morsels.

Thanks for that insight. I was really looking forward to them, at my brother in laws wedding, but although the meat tasted delicious, the consistency of the dish, was to me, unpalatable. Maybe I should give it another try!

We made beef stew wth suet dumplings recently. Beautiful on a chilly, damp day.

Then a homemade steak and mushroom pie. Similarly delicious.

Puddings - homemade Apple Crumble & Custard yesterday.

Ticks all the boxes for me :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

*drool*

Beef cheeks are bloody lovely. Has to be with mash though as I'm not a big stew person.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tonight I baked some potatoes, cut them in half, scooped out the potato, mashed it with salt, pepper, milk, butter and grated cheddar, popped the mash back in the skins and put some grated cheddar on the top before returning to the oven for the cheese to bubble and melt. A bratwurst and peas on the side with a glass of Cab Sav. Simple but nice.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Tonight I baked some potatoes, cut them in half, scooped out the potato, mashed it with salt, pepper, milk, butter and grated cheddar, popped the mash back in the skins and put some grated cheddar on the top before returning to the oven for the cheese to bubble and melt. A bratwurst and peas on the side with a glass of Cab Sav. Simple but nice.

Try the same but with some wholegrain mustard too. Delicious.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Peri-peri pork with brown / wild rice. Nice...

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I am into cooking home made Autumn/Winter puddings at the moment trying different recipies from books/internet.
So far the best one has been Jam Roly Poly, followed by Spotted Dick and Apple and Blackberry pies and crumbles all served with home made custard.
I was given a large bottle of Sauternes pudding wine a while back, which i am very much into as well.
20 degrees at the moment and 16 at night so i may have to postpone my culinary experiments for a month or so.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I am into cooking home made Autumn/Winter puddings at the moment trying different recipies from books/internet.
So far the best one has been Jam Roly Poly, followed by Spotted Dick and Apple and Blackberry pies and crumbles all served with home made custard.
I was given a large bottle of Sauternes pudding wine a while back, which i am very much into as well.
20 degrees at the moment and 16 at night so i may have to postpone my culinary experiments for a month or so.

Not a pudding fan but you have named most of my favorites, Spotted dick,crumbles,pies and home made custard. Shame you never mentioned the ultimate pudding - Sticky toffee pudding.
Hot puddings all the way

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As a vegetarian, I'm largely against risotto as a mushroom risotto, sometimes crazily prefixed with the word "wild", is a default veggie offering in so many places.

However, I was* going to make a butternut squash risotto today as it feels suitably warming and hearty on such a day.

(* - I didn't actually make one, as I had some veg that needed to be used, so I made a Thai green curry instead. The risotto may come tomorrow.)

Butternut mac and cheese

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here