Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Automatic promotion still not out of the question

The way I see it is that Cardiff and Hull are going to be promoted automatically, Watford and Palace will easily make the play-offs, and the last two play-off positions will be fought out between Forest, Leicester and the Albion. No-one else will get a look-in.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
If Forest, with a point more than us but inferior GD, have a chance then so do we (unlikely as it is).

Yeah but they're a completely different team at the moment and are on a superb winning streak not to mention a decent end of season run in. We are way too inconsistent to get anyway near the top 2 at the moment.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The way I see it is that Cardiff and Hull are going to be promoted automatically, Watford and Palace will easily make the play-offs, and the last two play-off positions will be fought out between Forest, Leicester and the Albion. No-one else will get a look-in.

Possibly Bolton as a long shot.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yeah but they're a completely different team at the moment and are on a superb winning streak not to mention a decent end of season run in. We are way too inconsistent to get anyway near the top 2 at the moment.

Their streak will come to an end though. Hopefully in a couple of Saturdays.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Agree, except I wouldn't write off Bolton just yet. Leics have an absurdly tough run in, finish above them and we're in play offs imo

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
Too early to rule out Bolton Middlesbrough and even Leeds IMO but agree with your top 4.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I think that is about right for any other team to do it they would have to rely on too many slip ups although some still have some of the top 7 to play.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This thread is SO NSC. One week we're ****ed and are going backwards rapidly, one game later we're world beaters. Love it

Auto promotion is long gone imo, prove me wrong Gus.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If we were chasing 1 team then MAYBE......... very very maybe but you'd have a point. However we are chasing 5 or 6 teams and need them ALL doing badly. Not going to happen even if we hold up our end of that scenario.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
FFS why do we have to have this every time? Lose to Forest and NSC will be all doom and gloom again. It really is ridiculous, the front page of the board is all 'Can we make second", "This is the best team we've ever had", "Is Ulloa better than Pele" etc. Look at it from 4 days ago and it's all "Gus has taken us as far as he can", "Our season is over", "Time for a new Manager" etc. What is it with the extremes?

We're a side with serious play off aspirations, nothing more at the moment. Gus is doing a decent job with the resources available to him, and we aren't going to win every game we play. If we don't make the play offs this season we should be challenging for automatic promotion next season. That's it. Beating Palace doesn't make us world beaters, same as losing to Barnsley doesn't make us relegation certainties.

Everybody just calm down a bit.

Please.

Thanks.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Only 9 points behind Hull now with 8 games to go a possible 24 points up for grabs , I can now see us winning 7 games (21 points ) giving us a total of 80 points , if Hull win 4 & lose 4 we'll be level on points but a better goal difference
Watford will now start slipping up it's a long season for those young italian boys
Palace will now fall apart after getting thrashed by us
Forests good run & luck will run out
Leicester have gone already
So 2nd spot in my mind is still up for grabs :albion2:

If we lose at Forest will you be back in the we won't make the playoffs camp????? No way will win 7, we haven't shown that form all season so why would we now? However I can't see anyone winning all their remaining games so play off is up for grabs but will depend on games away at Forest and home to Leicester. Automatic.........................no chance!

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
FFS why do we have to have this every time? Lose to Forest and NSC will be all doom and gloom again. It really is ridiculous, the front page of the board is all 'Can we make second", "This is the best team we've ever had", "Is Ulloa better than Pele" etc. Look at it from 4 days ago and it's all "Gus has taken us as far as he can", "Our season is over", "Time for a new Manager" etc. What is it with the extremes?

We're a side with serious play off aspirations, nothing more at the moment. Gus is doing a decent job with the resources available to him, and we aren't going to win every game we play. If we don't make the play offs this season we should be challenging for automatic promotion next season. That's it. Beating Palace doesn't make us world beaters, same as losing to Barnsley doesn't make us relegation certainties.

Everybody just calm down a bit.

Please.

Thanks.

Very sensible post! Completely agree with this, just last Tuesday night according to NSC Poyet had taken us as far as he can, we had bottled it again and generally everything was doom and gloom. Your right a loss at Forest (which is a distinct possibility) will be slit your wrists time for many!!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Mathematically possible........but! Hull MIGHT falter and we MIGHT overtake them, but in that scenario there are three or four other teams who might overhaul them too - and at least one of them is likely to be further ahead of Hull than us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here