Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Autism

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Unfortunately the idea of the savant autistic is widely held to be an absolute truism. The reality is that it is incredibly rare and for most they are, for the large part, pretty "ordinary" with some being good at a particular subject or subject range and others not in exactly the same way as any other set of learners - I was once told, quite authoritively by a social worker, that a young adult couldn't be autistic because tbey were no good at maths! Unfortunately the autistic spectrum encompasses everything from the impacts on ability to learn as a result of visual, hearing or balance problems at one end, to the effects of foetal alcohol or drug syndrome or cerebral palsey at the other. We are still trying to find ways to work with these varying impacts at all levels. As an example, I worked with a young lady who was unable to walk in a straight line and would use (bouncing off) a wall as a means of making forward progress. I managed to get an optician to prescribe blue-grey tinted lenses and after some adjustment she can now walk down the middle of a corridor in a straight line. From not being able to read she is currently in the second year of a degree course although sadly it looks like she will ultimately fail to complete her programme because of lack of understanding and support from tutors for other associated behavioural issues. The glasses though changed her potential to achieve and I would encourage parents and others working with Aspergic young people to explore some of the options outside the box. Diet in particular can make a massive difference. Focus on natural products, introduce fish oils, encourage higher levels of hydration, and cut out e-numbers, dairy products and starches - increase exercise levels - you will be surprised how much it can help the young person to focus and to optimise their learning abilities. If it helps, my experience is that most people with high functioning autism will "catch up" some of the educational delay and are often ultimately more able to cope than we believe would be attainable.

While this is excellent advice please remember that these are individuals and things effect them as such. We were recommended fish oil and it sent my son absolutely off until we took him off them. We have been recommended to try organic fish oil with no additives but haven't yet.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
'Horribly saddening' seems a little harsh. We have some fantastic kids with autism getting great results at my school and that is due, in part, to teachers who know what they are doing and (often very stretched) outside agencies helping out from a young age. I won't bore everyone with a list of things teachers have to cope with and I fully accept that school is harder for youngsters with autism, but to say they are all being failed is wrong. Quite the reverse is true in my experience.

In answer to the original poster- we will do our best to help your child and local schools have a good record in this area.

Can we agree here that things are getting much better in schools but we still have a way to go throught the education system?

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Can we agree here that things are getting much better in schools but we still have a way to go throughout the education system?

Yes, if you like.

I do wonder what happened, say, 60 or 80 years ago to kids with these kinds of problems. The thought of children being caned without knowing why, or intelligent youngsters being stuck in 'special schools', is quite chilling.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think there seems to be a big difference between what is happening in different schools. We seem to be up against a huge amount of ignorance at my sons school. Some teachers are sympathetic but don't really know how to deal with kids with ASD but some are just downright ignorant about it and don't seem to want to change their practices to accommodate these kids.

The school I work in has a number of people who want to have a better understanding of ASD and how to help. We also want to help to educate others in the same way but changing attitudes takes time and effort.

This thread tells me that the support and knowledge is out there and we just need to keep on spreading the word.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes, if you like.

I do wonder what happened, say, 60 or 80 years ago to kids with these kinds of problems. The thought of children being caned without knowing why, or intelligent youngsters being stuck in 'special schools', is quite chilling.

We have certainly come a long way from those days.

Lush

Mods' Pet

Autism does seem to be on the increase though and it's not just to do with beter diagnosis. The additive link is interesting and there's certainly been a slow and steady increase in the amount of processed food we all eat, as young children or even women when pregnant. Not sure why it would affect boys so much more than girls.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Autism does seem to be on the increase though and it's not just to do with beter diagnosis. The additive link is interesting and there's certainly been a slow and steady increase in the amount of processed food we all eat, as young children or even women when pregnant. Not sure why it would affect boys so much more than girls.

If you look on Wikipedia, there are loads of different theories. The most plausible I have seen recently is to do with the levels of testosterone in the womb during pregnancy. The person most people sit up and listen to when talking about Autism is Simon Baron-Cohen, Sacha's cousin, who seems to come up with the most plausible theories and best research.

Age is another factor that may come into it - women are older now when having children. Down's Syndrome is much more prevalent in older mother's, so maybe autism is too. Of the parents I know of autistic children, most of them had started families in their mid thirties. Who knows.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

There is some research being carried out into oestrogen levels being increased by chemicals in plastics (some chemicals are banned in some countries) i think the hypothesis is that these chemicals are transferred into the womb and may effect the unborn child. I think there was discussion that this may increase the probability of Autism.

like I say this is just a theory at present...i will try to provide a link when I get time.

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
Is anyone watching The Bridge on BBC4 on Saturdays where the lead detective Saga Noren is portrayed as having autistic spectrum of asperger type.Excellent convincing acting by Sofia Helin , which in some uneducated quarters is seen as bad acting unaware what condition the character has.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here