[Politics] Australian Indigenous Constitutional Recognition Referendum

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thanks

So the vote was to recognise the existence of the indigenous people, and set up a commission that would advise (but not compel) incumbent governments on issues affecting those people

How the f*** does an electorate vote against THAT?

Weirdos
Same country that was still calling football “wogball” 20 years ago when I lived there. Not really a surprise.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I realize the title of the thread is probably a little too much for you old uneducated woke farts to take in but the woke ****s that put forward the idea of Indigenous recognition in the Australian Constitution just lost, significantly. So you woke shit can go and f*** yourselves. Say what you want but I won't be tuning in to listen to your shit. Bye for now.........

:O
You appear to have 'dined well'.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They had a similar referendum a few decades ago where the resultant No was explained away as because the question was too specific. On this occasion the No is being explained away as because the question was too vague (deliberately so because of the previous one).
The genuine explanation is more likely that they have spent 100 years trying to eradicate the aboriginal culture and they don't want to stop.
Well corporate Australia does pay lip service to be seen to do the right thing. Before AFL matches they wheel out an indigenous elder to do a 'Welcome To Country' blessing. To be fair, they are always roundly applauded. And there's this speech the senior cabin crew member does before domestic flights about acknowledging something something original people of this land. Does all this messaging trickle down to most of the redneck bogans? Clearly not. Their state of evolution is on a par with the US/UK in the Fifties or Sixties. It'll take a generation for them to join the 21st Century sadly

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Was out drinking with an Aussie on Thursday night - he already knew it would fail - far too many rednecks (his words) in Western Australia and Northern Territories to ever make this happen
You don't need to go into country towns / outback to find rednecks try the Western suburbs of Sydney.

I lived in Oz for many years, it was a great place and I knew some pretty liberal minded people who I'm know voted YES. In workplace things were pretty diverse and I experienced so terrible racists attitudes, often second generation immigrants of European descent were the worse.

I remember one such incident when my boss told me he'd never employ an Abo because "it was too much hassle". The indigenous population are viewed as an underclass, during the Sydney Olympics they moved them out of Inner Sydney to the West.

I thought things may be moved on, seems they haven't.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I realize the title of the thread is probably a little too much for you old uneducated woke farts to take in but the woke ****s that put forward the idea of Indigenous recognition in the Australian Constitution just lost, significantly. So you woke shit can go and f*** yourselves. Say what you want but I won't be tuning in to listen to your shit. Bye for now.........

I'm guessing you've been on the amber nectar.

I have a wise uncle in Australia who will doubtless update me on the reasons for the vote, and the defeat of the 'Yes' campaign in more rational and, dare I say it, educated terms. There seem to be a lot of considerations and most folk won't understand the complexities. I suspect you are one of them, even though you live there.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Same country that was still calling football “wogball” 20 years ago when I lived there. Not really a surprise.
Although I think the term 'Wog' from my time there meant something different to our interpretation. I thought it was a term for Europeans, mainly those from the Balkan states (which do make up a large proportion of their football base from the game attendance I did in Sydney).

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Okay. From my Uncle who has lived in Queensland for 50 years. A very wise and sensible soul by nature...

'Referenda are seldom successful here. In this instance there were many 1st Nations folk who voted no, stating that 'a voice' was insufficient- They argue that their sovereignty has never been ceded, that they are a conquered people and demand a treaty, clarifying their rights as original inhabitants. The referendum was simply to give them the right to speak and be heard, but no other rights. As far as other voters go, as noted, few referenda go to the yes vote here, and there is considerable resistance to making changes to the constitution. There is also a racist component who will always argue against any first nation considerations'

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Okay. From my Uncle who has lived in Queensland for 50 years. A very wise and sensible soul by nature...

'Referenda are seldom successful here. In this instance there were many 1st Nations folk who voted no, stating that 'a voice' was insufficient- They argue that their sovereignty has never been ceded, that they are a conquered people and demand a treaty, clarifying their rights as original inhabitants. The referendum was simply to give them the right to speak and be heard, but no other rights. As far as other voters go, as noted, few referenda go to the yes vote here, and there is considerable resistance to making changes to the constitution. There is also a racist component who will always argue against any first nation considerations'
Utterly appalling that it requires a referendum to simply allow the original inhabitants of the UK's penal colony - in the words of your wise old uncle 'the right to speak and be heard, but no other rights'.

I mean, what the actual F***?!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Generally, I like Aussies but this result confirms that there is a hell of a lot of catching up to do.

However, as much as I disagree with the OP, this thread is much more welcome to me than those pathetic and embarrassing X or Y threads.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Utterly appalling that it requires a referendum to simply allow the original inhabitants of the UK's penal colony - in the words of your wise old uncle 'the right to speak and be heard, but no other rights'.

I mean, what the actual F***?!
There seems to be a divide between liberal areas and rural areas as assumed. My uncle lives in Ipswich, Queensland. Melbourne City was where the 'Yes' vote was high. Rural Queensland was the highest 'No' it seems. Think deepest Lincolnshire v Brighton.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There seems to be a divide between liberal areas and rural areas as assumed. My uncle lives in a semi rural part of Queensland where the 'No' vote was very high. Melbourne City was where the 'Yes' vote was high. Think deepest Lincolnshire v Brighton.
Seems to me pretty much like the US. Small pockets of civilisation, mainly clustered around the coast, and vast inland tracts of troglodyte Trump voters. These are not yet grown-up nations. Might take a while

stoo82!

May 22, 2023
Exactly what the voice advisory body would look like and how it would function were to be determined only once the concept had won approval.

A quote from the Guardian. Definitely something you would vote yes to right?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
So is the OP saying Australians have a majority of racists?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks

So the vote was to recognise the existence of the indigenous people, and set up a commission that would advise (but not compel) incumbent governments on issues affecting those people

How the f*** does an electorate vote against THAT?

Weirdos
Quite!

In fact, you'd imagine the intelligent racists might even vote for it, given that some Indigenous peoples have apparently called it a settlers pact that gives them nothing.

I think the mistake I've made here though is assuming there are intelligent racists. I've yet to meet or hear one.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

IMG_0310.jpeg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Seems to me pretty much like the US. Small pockets of civilisation, mainly clustered around the coast, and vast inland tracts of troglodyte Trump voters. These are not yet grown-up nations. Might take a while
No surprise. The father to the children isn't all that grown up either. Just cleverer at making it less obvious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here