Aussies axe Ben Elton's new comedy series after 3 episodes

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
BBC News - Ben Eltons Australian comedy series axed

Who said the Aussies have no idea about comedy? What were they even doing commissioning such a show though? Hope it doesn't mean he'll be appearing on BBC screens again.

Perhaps he can now go back to writing cringeworthy musicals with other conservative artists such as Andrew Lloyd-Weber and Queen (broke the cultural embargo on apartheid SA) .

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Yeah me too but Richard Curtis also wrote it and look at some of the absolute dross films he's been churning out over recent years!
Some people just stop being funny, often with a vengeance, John Cleese being a good case in point.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yeah me too but Richard Curtis also wrote it and look at some of the absolute dross films he's been churning out over recent years!
Some people just stop being funny, often with a vengeance, John Cleese being a good case in point.

Reasonable point, but I would say that Curtis is good at what he does. If you like the sort of film that Notting Hill is, then it's an ok film - not usually my cup of tea, but it's not badly written. I can't think of anything BE has done, Blackadder aside, that could be classed as quality at all. Cleese I would agree, was legend for a couple of decades, but now doing rubbish (AA Ads ???).

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Reasonable point, but I would say that Curtis is good at what he does. If you like the sort of film that Notting Hill is, then it's an ok film - not usually my cup of tea, but it's not badly written. I can't think of anything BE has done, Blackadder aside, that could be classed as quality at all. Cleese I would agree, was legend for a couple of decades, but now doing rubbish (AA Ads ???).

His stand-up was brilliant. His books were pretty good as well.

Notting Hill is gubbins

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
His stand-up was brilliant. His books were pretty good as well.

Notting Hill is gubbins

I differ then - I thought his stand up was appalling, was reasonable in the eighties when all he did was moan about Thatcher, but that's about it. I started one of his books once, and didn't get very far. I don't say I like notting Hill, but it's not badly written - a world away from Blackadder though.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Love Actually is a crime against humanity

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Has anybody seen any of the show to which this thread refers?

He's been a best-selling author, writer, stand-up for the best part of 30 years and he's got more talent in his little finger than any of the young modern "Russell" comedians.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads

He co-wrote The Young Ones.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Wha about that hilarious, side splitting, cleverly written The thin blue line?

Genius.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I've always wondered how much input he actually had to Blackadder, because I have never understood how someone that bad, could be associated with something so good.

Well. in my opinion, Blackadder series 1 and 4 were the best and the ones Richard Curtis had input on....also Richard Curtis wrote pretty much the only decent episode from the last Dr Who series so...

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Well. in my opinion, Blackadder series 1 and 4 were the best and the ones Richard Curtis had input on....also Richard Curtis wrote pretty much the only decent episode from the last Dr Who series so...

Series 1 are you shitting me?? I love Blackadder (who doesn't?!?) but the first series is utterly cringeworthy yet this is the only series that Elton didn't write on. Personally I think his series (ie The Young Ones, Blackadder and the Thin Blue Line) show how good a writer Elton can be. How many other writers have such success? Plus his books are sublime, even his first attempt at a novel, 'The First Casualty', a brilliant WWI look at status and roles in society cannot be ignored. However I know its fashionable to hate him so I know I'm falling on deaf ears.

Stumpy Tim

I haven't seen it (like most of Australia it seems), but I believe this show was meant to be a showcase of Australian comedic talent. Unfortunately Australian comedy is cringeworthy, talentless tripe. Ben Elton has written some masterpieces in his time, but you can't polish a turd

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Series 1 are you shitting me?? I love Blackadder (who doesn't?!?) but the first series is utterly cringeworthy yet this is the only series that Elton didn't write on.

I had a conversation just the other day about the first series, the base of the discussion was Edmund. The fella I was talking to claimed that Edmund was the same throughout all the Blackadders (witty and sharp), my argument leaned towards the first series portraying him as a bumbling idiot, bullied constantly by the loud bearded bloke (King?) and picked on heavily, very different to the sharp witted latter Edmund, am I mistaken...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports