Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Aussie Rules - Geelong V Richmond Grand Final.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I really should try to get into AFL. But what stops me is the lack of integrity in being a fan of a team. When I arrived here I asked my son-in-law how I should choose a team, he said you just choose one. Based on what I replied? Whatever you like I was told, club colours, who is successful, whatever. Who is my local team I asked? Who cares I was told.

Since then I have learned that in the past teams have had their names changed/altered to allow relocation to more receptive areas, and to allow the game to build far beyond its Victorian roots. Take note UK, teams are becoming more commonly referred to by nicknames, right now the news programme is calling tonight’s game ‘Tigers v Cats’. One of the oldest clubs called Collingwood are nicknamed the Magpies, but even that is being shortened to ‘Pies’. This allows a club in a closed league to pick itself up and move hundreds/thousands of miles without any change of identity, and its long standing local fans dropped like stone. It is exactly what the clubs chasing the Euro League want to do, appeal to anybody with no geographical affinity to anyone.

Anyway, I will call Geelong (Cats) as the other mob have won twice in the last three years.

I totally understand the lack of integrity in picking a team. My choice was based on no actual attachment, I was like a 5 year old picking a premier league football team to support. I picked North Melbourne because they play in blue and white stripes. Quite a few times when i've worn my Kangaroos top in the summer, people have asked me if the Albion are done a sleaveless kit.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
This is a cracking final, currently Richmond 46 Geelong 44 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

If you want some entertainment turn on BT Sport for the 4th quarter.

6 points are scored for between the middle posts, only 1 point between the outside posts.

One point.that's called a Behind.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone watching this?

My beloved Cats (Geelong) are slight underdogs against a Tigers (Richmond) team that are looking for their third flag in 4 years.

Interesting stat, Dustin Martin (Richmond) has won Best on Ground (mom) in 80% of the finals he has played in. Eek.

Should be a good game.

Go Cats.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

You just made all that up, didn't you? :lolol:

Bit nonplussed that your mom is best on ground, to be fair.

Seriously, I hope it's a good game. Always good to see people having fun, even if I have absolutely no idea what they're going on about :thumbsup:

Stumpy Tim

I watched the first ten minutes.... saw one man stretchered off in a neck brace, and one off with a disclocated shoulder. Gotta love Ozzie Rules. I'm annoyed now though, as I had no idea it was the final! I would have watched it longer if I had known

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I really should try to get into AFL. But what stops me is the lack of integrity in being a fan of a team. When I arrived here I asked my son-in-law how I should choose a team, he said you just choose one. Based on what I replied? Whatever you like I was told, club colours, who is successful, whatever. Who is my local team I asked? Who cares I was told.

Since then I have learned that in the past teams have had their names changed/altered to allow relocation to more receptive areas, and to allow the game to build far beyond its Victorian roots. Take note UK, teams are becoming more commonly referred to by nicknames, right now the news programme is calling tonight’s game ‘Tigers v Cats’. One of the oldest clubs called Collingwood are nicknamed the Magpies, but even that is being shortened to ‘Pies’. This allows a club in a closed league to pick itself up and move hundreds/thousands of miles without any change of identity, and its long standing local fans dropped like stone. It is exactly what the clubs chasing the Euro League want to do, appeal to anybody with no geographical affinity to anyone.

Anyway, I will call Geelong (Cats) as the other mob have won twice in the last three years.
I get what you are saying. I met my now wife out here and just swapped teams with her and adopted Geelong.

We have ended up living in Geelong too which means I can go to games and stand on the terrace. Luckily this coincided with a decent run and three premierships.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I watched the first ten minutes.... saw one man stretchered off in a neck brace, and one off with a dislocated shoulder. Gotta love Ozzie Rules. I'm annoyed now though, as I had no idea it was the final! I would have watched it longer if I had known

And the guy with the dislocated shoulder got strapped up and game back on. It makes a joke of footballers who writhe around in agony at the slightest of contact.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Both play intense football, both have some brilliant players. Should be fast and furious .

Mainly though, because the Cats might win and I'll be delighted :)

you're wasting your time bruv , you will never explain the level of fitness required to play the game or how two 115 kg blokes with no padding can hit each other flat out and just get up and carry on.

unlucky by the way ...Tigers are something else even though i dislike Hardwick he has got them playing at the next level....:cheers:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Good game for the neutral to watch, plenty of action and hard knocks.
No west coast teams in it, so not supporting either team, the bar man is from Geelong, so we wound him up a bit.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
you're wasting your time bruv , you will never explain the level of fitness required to play the game or how two 115 kg blokes with no padding can hit each other flat out and just get up and carry on.

unlucky by the way ...Tigers are something else even though i dislike Hardwick he has got them playing at the next level....:cheers:
To be honest I wasn't expecting to win. Like you say the Tigers are something else.

I started to believe in the second, but was waiting for some Dusty magic to put us back in our box. We missed a few and didn't make it count on the scoreboard. Then they pressured us with insane speed and forced mistakes.

Looks like the cats are recruiting hard again to have another crack next year... Exciting times.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Love Touhy, great character and great player.

A little bitter about him leaving Carlton?

Nothing to do with Carlton, It's more how he's acted towards our Gaelic Football club while in Geelong.

Mark O'Connor and Stefan Okunbor top fellas, have made time to come down to bring a bit of profile to the club.

Tuohy has for a while now just ignored anyone who has tried to contact him to say hello and connect with the club.

Gaelic Sporting clubs are all about the Irish community. Doesn't sit well when they act like they are too big or important to even have the decency to reply to people.

Glad he lost. Average bloke.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Nothing to do with Carlton, It's more how he's acted towards our Gaelic Football club while in Geelong.

Mark O'Connor and Stefan Okunbor top fellas, have made time to come down to bring a bit of profile to the club.

Tuohy has for a while now just ignored anyone who has tried to contact him to say hello and connect with the club.

Gaelic Sporting clubs are all about the Irish community. Doesn't sit well when they act like they are too big or important to even have the decency to reply to people.

Glad he lost. Average bloke.

Very average not raising the profile of your gaelic football club. He really should do what you want him to do.

Funny attitude from a libertarian.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I watched the first ten minutes.... saw one man stretchered off in a neck brace, and one off with a disclocated shoulder. Gotta love Ozzie Rules. I'm annoyed now though, as I had no idea it was the final! I would have watched it longer if I had known

I used to play Saturday afternoon football with a lad who’d lost a testicle playing Aussie Rules.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fantastic sport. Was a regular at the Swannies when I lived in Sydney. Played by double hard b’stards who are a weird amalgam of middleweight boxers, rugby players and marathon runners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Fantastic sport. Was a regular at the Swannies when I lived in Sydney. Played by double hard b’stards who are a weird amalgam of middleweight boxers, rugby players and marathon runners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loved the SCG great old ground , did you ever do the boxing day test...?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Very average not raising the profile of your gaelic football club. He really should do what you want him to do.

Funny attitude from a libertarian.

He doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want.

Just as we don't have to rate him as anything but a shit bloke when compared to the other Irish lads at the club.

The Irish don't think too highly of anyone who thinks themselves above the community.

Probably why tall poppy syndrome exists in Irish and Australian cultures.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
He doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want.

Just as we don't have to rate him as anything but a shit bloke when compared to the other Irish lads at the club.

The Irish don't think too highly of anyone who thinks themselves above the community.

Probably why tall poppy syndrome exists in Irish and Australian cultures.
Very true, personally I'll hold off judging the bloke until I know his reasons for neglecting your club.

Good on the other bloke's though. Let's hope their team wins a flag.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here