Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Aussie Rules Football

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I must get into Aussie Rules, I have always thought it was a fight between blokes in vests, which you can see any Bank Holiday in the UK... :lolol:

Is it just my imagination or were all those daft gung-ho club anthems with the deeply naff lyrics written by the same bloke? :lol:
To be fair, there's a few absolute bangers in those anthems - there isnt a soul alive unmoved by Tigerland, YELLOW AND BLACK!
and Carlton's jaunty little number is decent too, of the old skool ones. Brisbane using la Marsellaise is inspired.
I presumed that all the relatively new clubs had a shite song just like Freo, but the GWS theme is really bloody good. Am i jealous? f*** yeah i am

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Seen a couple of live games when we were in Australia 🦘 one a full house at The Oval The Crows v Essendon featuring Eddie Betts could he play, plus the park and ride scheme was very good.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
To be fair, there's a few absolute bangers in those anthems - there isnt a soul alive unmoved by Tigerland, YELLOW AND BLACK!
and Carlton's jaunty little number is decent too, of the old skool ones. Brisbane using la Marsellaise is inspired.
I presumed that all the relatively new clubs had a shite song just like Freo, but the GWS theme is really bloody good. Am i jealous? f*** yeah i am

Trust me...if you're not a Richmond fan you're not moved by it.! It would be difficult to be moved by any Aussie Rules footy song - they all suck. The worst one ever was the Crows original theme song way back in the 90's which went...."here we go, here we go, here we go:......" without stopping.

That's one of the things I love about football, and in particular the Premier League....the chants and the wit. Don't really get it at Aussie Rules matches and you definitely don't get it at Rugby League matches.

Trust me...if you're not a Richmond fan you're not moved by it.! It would be difficult to be moved by any Aussie Rules footy song - they all suck. The worst one ever was the Crows original theme song way back in the 90's which went...."here we go, here we go, here we go:......" without stopping.

That's one of the things I love about football, and in particular the Premier League....the chants and the wit. Don't really get it at Aussie Rules matches and you definitely don't get it at Rugby League matches.
I used to work in a city centre pub in Melbourne many, many years ago and we had a jukebox with all the club songs on - so i got huuugely familiar with the big Melbourne clubs, and used to annoy the locals by putting on the (dreadful) Freo tune :LOL: Its a different crowd experience without a doubt, i tried to bring over a bit of terrace wit but it just got me stared at, on the whole. I went to a carlton/collingwood game with my Carlton supporting mate and tried to start a chant of 'you can stick your f***ing magpies up your arse' and sadly it didnt really take off . . .
are you at any of the games this round in Adelaide? Norwood oval looks nice! i love a suburban ground, and a mighty Freo win as well

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
I used to work in a city centre pub in Melbourne many, many years ago and we had a jukebox with all the club songs on - so i got huuugely familiar with the big Melbourne clubs, and used to annoy the locals by putting on the (dreadful) Freo tune :LOL: Its a different crowd experience without a doubt, i tried to bring over a bit of terrace wit but it just got me stared at, on the whole. I went to a carlton/collingwood game with my Carlton supporting mate and tried to start a chant of 'you can stick your f***ing magpies up your arse' and sadly it didnt really take off . . .
are you at any of the games this round in Adelaide? Norwood oval looks nice! i love a suburban ground, and a mighty Freo win as well

LOL would have been great to hear the f***ing magpies tune take off! I might get to a match at Norwood Oval if I can work out what matches are where in this rather unusual "Gather Round".

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Watched some of the game on Saturday morning (Port Adelaide) The rain was absolutely biblical....and louder than the commentary at times.

Good game though - really enjoying watching it again after a few years without.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
Watched some of the game on Saturday morning (Port Adelaide) The rain was absolutely biblical....and louder than the commentary at times.

Good game though - really enjoying watching it again after a few years without.
Port Adelaide are the AFL equivalent of a Millwall or a Leeds. If you're talking biblical, they deserve to be flooded out and hit by a locust plague.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Looking forward to Collingwood v Essendon on Tuesday earlydoors. Carna Pies! :clap:

Screenshot_20230421_175158_Chrome.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
Hot off the press: "Radical AFL plan to trade players against their will - the AFL’s superstars would be traded against their will NBA-style, under a radical proposal raised by the league as part of its pay talks with the AFL Players’ Association."

It would be great to see something similar in the Premier League. For example, Erling Haaland being traded to the Albion against his will. ;)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Cracking game between Collingwood and Essendon just finished. Collingwood looked dead and buried, trailing by 28 points going into the final quarter. Stormed back to win 90-77. Carna Pies!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I used to watch AFL when I worked for ANZ in Singapore. I irritated my Aussie work colleagues by repeatedly winning the score prediction competition, whilst knowing nothing about the game. The wonders of probability. Once I understood the rules I started to enjoy it. I think from memory there were quite a few Collingwood fans in my office.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here