Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Aussie Cheats!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Questions being asked of why "ball management" usually done by Warner was switched to Bancroft for this test.

Couldn't be because Warner's taped hand was raising too may eyebrows could it (and therefore that he'd actually been up to this for ages). Probably just a MASSIVE coincidence though.......

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Smith didn't come across as extremely sorry or aware how serious the issue was in the press conference. However, he isn't a politician, and may not have been that well educated. Someone should have advised him to read a prepared statement helped by a lawyer. That goes for the other players as well.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Smith didn't come across as extremely sorry or aware how serious the issue was in the press conference. However, he isn't a politician, and may not have been that well educated. Someone should have advised him to read a prepared statement helped by a lawyer. That goes for the other players as well.

But, as has been mentioned already, he seemed more sorry to have been caught than to have done it in the 1st place.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sussex could probably do with the money.

They made a healthy profit last year - I think it's success they need, not more money,

I must admit from reading the Australian reports that whilst their (current) cricketers may be a bunch of graceless, cheating tossers, I do have a newfound respect for their media and indeed their Prime Minister. Rather than just trying to brush it off (like Smith himself tried) they do seem to be genuinely upset and ashamed, and I get the feeling that it had been brewing for a while (perhaps stoked by the Bairstow affair).

I have a good Australian friend and, like most Aussies, she's a big cricket fan. She devoutly hopes that the team gets soundly thrashed in this series and forever afterwards, unless they discover their moral compass. I think it's a feeling shared by many, many of her fellow countrymen.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Completely innocent. He's already explained he prefers sugar to energy drinks/gels. :whistle::whistle::whistle:
Indeed, and being a professional sportsman he wouldn't have sugar cubes in a bag for that, he'd obviously grab some loose sugar from the sugar bowl on the tea tray. I mean, who here doesn't eat loose sugar from their pocket?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But, as has been mentioned already, he seemed more sorry to have been caught than to have done it in the 1st place.

My favourite bit was Bancroft's "I was in the wrong place at the wrong time" line.

FFS: you got caught cheating on camera...you can hardly claim it's just some unfortunate twist of fate, can you?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
we need to give them a proper welcome... nothing nasty though - just some witty ditties.

But you'll get some some whinging Aussie wanker like Lehmann crying like a baby cos the crowd are so nasty to their precious players. Even though they plead with their crowds to verbally lynch the opposition.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My favourite bit was Bancroft's "I was in the wrong place at the wrong time" line.

FFS: you got caught cheating on camera...you can hardly claim it's just some unfortunate twist of fate, can you?

Point of order here Ms K. Bancroft’s ‘wrong place’ doesn’t refer to being caught by the cameras. He means he was in the ‘wrong place’ (present) at the ‘wrong time’ (when the authors of this fabulous plot were looking for an idiot to carry it out).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Point of order here Ms K. Bancroft’s ‘wrong place’ doesn’t refer to being caught by the cameras. He means he was in the ‘wrong place’ (present) at the ‘wrong time’ (when the authors of this fabulous plot were looking for an idiot to carry it out).

Is that it? Fine, I wasn't aware of that. I'm not sure why he's been portrayed as the unwitting simpleton of the plot so far though. He's not some nineteen year old debutant. I know he's not played that many Test matches, but nonetheless, he's an experienced cricketer at 25 years of age. He knows the rules.

The Telegraph now reporting that Lehmann is about to resign, and Cricket Australia are considering 12 month bans for Smith & Warner (shame they won't do Nathan Lyon too).

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Well if nothing else, this story is giving me my sports fix through the international break. The Aussies deserve some credit for that at least.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Is that it? Fine, I wasn't aware of that. I'm not sure why he's been portrayed as the unwitting simpleton of the plot so far though. He's not some nineteen year old debutant. I know he's not played that many Test matches, but nonetheless, he's an experienced cricketer at 25 years of age. He knows the rules.

The Telegraph now reporting that Lehmann is about to resign, and Cricket Australia are considering 12 month bans for Smith & Warner (shame they won't do Nathan Lyon too).
Was saying to my son earlier that it would be perfect if it was Smith, Warner and Lyon who copped for it. An unholy trinity of total pricks.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Was saying to my son earlier that it would be perfect if it was Smith, Warner and Lyon who copped for it. An unholy trinity of total pricks.

I find it staggering that they were complaining so loudly about the South African crowds earlier in the week before all this ball tampering stuff came out. I'm pretty sure any international cricketer who's ever had to field directly in front of Bay 13 at the MCG can vouch for the fact that Australian crowds aren't renowned for their discretion, sobriety or dignity.

I accept that it's probably a bit below the belt for spectators to reference Warner's wife for a sexual encounter with Sonny Bill Williams some years before she got together with the angry little opener, but even so: I bet he's said worse to other cricketers in his time. As, no doubt, have plenty of Australian spectators.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well if nothing else, this story is giving me my sports fix through the international break. The Aussies deserve some credit for that at least.

Plus- looking at things from an England perspective- if you're going to get bowled out for 58, then this is absolutely the week to do it...every cloud and all that.... :lol:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Agreed... but surely this would only have been undertaken with the agreement of the fast bowlers who would have asked for the ball to be prepared in a particular way?

Ban the lot of 'em :)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Agreed... but surely this would only have been undertaken with the agreement of the fast bowlers who would have asked for the ball to be prepared in a particular way?

Ban the lot of 'em :)
Not so sure. The rumblings are that Starc and Hazelwood are livid about being implicated as being part of the "leadership group" and have already contacted the players union about it.

Interestingly nobody's mentioned anything similar about Lyon.

Although the bowlers would be the ones to directly gain, it's all about who instigated the cheating in this case.

In any case, the fast bowlers were probably just used to the ball miraculously reversing after Davey Warner had had his taped up mitts on it..... [emoji6]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here