Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Auschwitz

andys320

Jan 10, 2014
I remember reading somebody (Can't for the life of me remember who.) say how traveling to somewhere like Auschwitz felt wrong, as you knew what you were going in to and could at least slightly prepare yourself. They had been driving through Europe and stumbled across a similar site of Nazi atrocity. Although not on the same scale as Auschwitz, the fact he hadn't planned to end up there had made it more chilling then when they visited Auschwitz a few years later.

That's my plan, as I would love to travel Central Europe, however if by the age of 50 I still haven't seen many things like it then I do plan to visit Auschwitz. Being a kid still (20 next week) I'm obviously too young to understand what it must have been like, but I can remember my Granddad talking about when he would have snowball fights with Canadian troops who never returned home etc, and I'd like to see what they were fighting for.

A couple of years ago I was on a family holiday in Northern France. We'd been at the beach a couple of hours when it dawned on me - We were in Normandy... on the beach. Soon as I realised everything changed. I'm not normally an emotional person and I'm certainly not patriotic but I was very close to shedding a tear when it dawned on me that the very stretch of sand I was on was the place where thousands of brave British/American/Candaian/Indian troops took their last breath after sacrificing themselves for our freedom, some of them no older than me. I managed to convince my family to visit the military grave sites for both American and British troops. I don't think the whole thing would have hit me like it did if it had all been planned out beforehand.

Edit: I've probably worded some of this horribly, nothing was meant in an offensive manner. Probably not the smartest post to try and construct after a few pints.

I can understand this to a degree.

Went to Paris and stumbled across a plaque about a school decimated in ww2. Really upset mood as unexpected and thought provoking.

Feel the need to visit Auschvitz, to get a sense of perspective.

Visited WW1 sites at Vimy, Thiepval etc.

My generation have had it easy, got complacent and have no idea of sacrifice.

Respect those who fought for us, those that suffered for us.

Will never forget what a teacher said to me many years ago. He was a fighter pilot that went on to work in the works dept of BL prepping Coopers. Had lost three fingers in a dogfight, his reaction, "forgive, but never forget."

I think that's right, and not anti Germanic!

If we forget the past we will never learn, instead remember, try not to repeat mistakes.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Ok so it's my 30th birthday coming up and the missus was obviously listening when I told her of my yearning to visit Auschwitz.

Now I know what your thinking, why the hell would you want to go there for your birthday? A very valid point it would be too. However for some time now I have longed to visit the place, maybe try and understand mans inhumanity to humanity.

Would be interested to hear from those that have visited themselves, perhaps even an anecdote or two?

I don't get taken away too often so I want to get it right. The other option is a long weekend in Vegas (I know, they couldn't be further apart).

Any pointers, advice and general info would be greatly received.
It's very eerie...but it does bring home how man can be so evil...lighter note...La Vegas is fabulous....the best holiday I ever had.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Good point mentioned earlier. Visited Kanchanaburi (sp?), Bridge over the River Kwai, Thailand in 1997 and found that v moving, walked alone on the rail track for miles. I seem to remember each sleeper roughly equated to one pow death. Was a beautiful day, beautiful surroundings, very sobering experience.
Wonder how it is now? Anyone been recently?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I've been to Auschwitz twice, once as a teenager and once when my children were teenagers, because it so impressed me, that I wanted it to impress them. I also wanted them to be old enough to remember it, unlike my siblings, who don't remember ever going there because they were too young.

It's not a fun place, but you will come away understanding yourself more, and you will come away understanding just how inhuman man has been in the modern developed world, only 70 years ago. It had changed the second time I went inasmuch as the birds which had been absent in the 60s, were twittering away in the 90s. There were also a lot more explanatory boards around the site. It's a place of contemplation.

To brighten things up for your 30th, you should combine your trip to Auschwitz with a few days in one of the loveliest cities in the world - Krakow. To sit in the main square and watch the world go by as you have a beer or several, is wonderful. And you could do no worse than visit the fascinating salt-mine at Wielicka. A salt-mine? Uh? It's amazing!

Last edited:

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I remember reading somebody (Can't for the life of me remember who.) say how traveling to somewhere like Auschwitz felt wrong, as you knew what you were going in to and could at least slightly prepare yourself. They had been driving through Europe and stumbled across a similar site of Nazi atrocity. Although not on the same scale as Auschwitz, the fact he hadn't planned to end up there had made it more chilling then when they visited Auschwitz a few years later.

That's my plan, as I would love to travel Central Europe, however if by the age of 50 I still haven't seen many things like it then I do plan to visit Auschwitz. Being a kid still (20 next week) I'm obviously too young to understand what it must have been like, but I can remember my Granddad talking about when he would have snowball fights with Canadian troops who never returned home etc, and I'd like to see what they were fighting for.

A couple of years ago I was on a family holiday in Northern France. We'd been at the beach a couple of hours when it dawned on me - We were in Normandy... on the beach. Soon as I realised everything changed. I'm not normally an emotional person and I'm certainly not patriotic but I was very close to shedding a tear when it dawned on me that the very stretch of sand I was on was the place where thousands of brave British/American/Candaian/Indian troops took their last breath after sacrificing themselves for our freedom, some of them no older than me. I managed to convince my family to visit the military grave sites for both American and British troops. I don't think the whole thing would have hit me like it did if it had all been planned out beforehand.

Edit: I've probably worded some of this horribly, nothing was meant in an offensive manner. Probably not the smartest post to try and construct after a few pints.

Beautifully written.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here