Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Auschwitz

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's somewhere i've always longed to visit - my girlfriend's family are german and her grandfather (English, his wife was German) has been there before a few times (researching for a book about people from Horsham who served in the wars). He said much what others have said - it's a very humbling place to go and puts everything in perspective.

It's top of my list of places to visit soon.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Not been to Aushwitz but been to Dachau and Bergen Belsen and I would thoroughly recommend the trip, it is not an experience you will enjoy as such but I strongly believe it is an experience everyone should share to understand the evils of mankind ( of all nations).
It will open your eyes and hopefully make you a more understanding person (not saying you aren't already) but do not expect an entertaining afternoon.
Having never done a guided tour can't recommend or not.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I've been. It's incredibly humbling (as you'd imagine).
Get a local bus or a tour: plenty of independent tour operators on Krakow's main street, leading up to the square.
You must see Birkenau whilst you're there. That's debateably even more ghoulish (and then end of the tour)

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I am going for the humbling reasons as many have mentioned.
Am trying to have a long hard look at my own life at the moment and need to take stock of what is important in life and to realise how lucky I and others I know are.
Thanks for all your comments very helpful ! Baz

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If its part of a mini break in Krakow then try and go at the end of your stay there. You'll understand why when you get to Aushwitz and Birkenau.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Planning on going there next year. Many of my relatives died there. Certainly not something that is likely to be classed as enjoyable but will be fulfilling in many ways I think.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Planning on going there next year. Many of my relatives died there. Certainly not something that is likely to be classed as enjoyable but will be fulfilling in many ways I think.

Prepare yourself for the 'hair room' (or don't go in it). It's the most horrific sight I've experienced.

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
When we were in Krakow we booked a trip from one of the many tourist companies near the main square. We went by coach and had a guided tour of Auchwitz 1 and 2.

Auchwitz 1 is pretty much intact. There is not much of 2 left but you get a feel of what it was like. The main gate and the railway line are still there. Well worth a visit.

Krakow is brilliant. Cheap as chips to go out.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
These places are not so much 'Tourist Spots'! They are places you visit with a mind to history, humanity and conscience.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Went a few years ago en route back from a skiing holiday in Slovakia. I only mention that as we didn't go on an organised your but just plugged it into our sat nav and set off across country.

It was about minus 15 degrees and blowing snow all the way into the town and really gave me the impression of how bleak and dire a place it was before we set foot in the camp.

We were a party of four and initially we all agreed we would go there on our last day in the country but when we arrived at the camp entrance it really did get to two of our party, one of whom nearly refused to go in.

I personally found it a tremendously life affirming and changing experience.

Some bits you expect to effect you - like the hair room or the arbeit macht frei gate etc - but others that are Seemingly innocuous go on to reveal hideous truths about mans inhumanity to man.

I was left in pieces by a simple courtyard with a bunch of flowers at one end against a wall when I realised through reading the guidebook that over 145,000 people were shot against the wall. Simply mind blowing.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
These places are not so much 'Tourist Spots'! They are places you visit with a mind to history, humanity and conscience.

Actually your quite right there !

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some bits you expect to effect you - like the hair room or the arbeit macht frei gate etc - but others that are Seemingly innocuous go on to reveal hideous truths about mans inhumanity to man.

I was left in pieces by a simple courtyard with a bunch of flowers at one end against a wall when I realised through reading the guidebook that over 145,000 people were shot against the wall. Simply mind blowing.

Know what you mean. Despite the execution area, punishment block, hair / luggage rooms, I was haunted by a corridor in one of the huts that had a row of pictures, on both sides of the corridor, of prisoners and the short lives they had in Auschwitz One. the guide was giving information on the living accommodation but I was transfixed by those photographs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here