Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attila and PB Q&A on FFP

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Have to say, as someone who hasn't been a PB fan, I was quite impressed with that.

Note to Attila - our problems didn't start in 1983, they started when we got promoted to Div 1 and started paying silly wages !
Yep, Lawrenson confirmed it in an interview I saw, many players on ten year contracts,... crazy.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I thought that was really impressive stuff from PB.

As he pointed out, regardless of the introduction of FFP we need to be running the club on a sound commercial footing. We can't always rely on having someone like TB to prop things up.

FFP wouldn't work if everyone flouted it, and if it is only us strictly adhering to it, it will expose the extent of others scale of overspend and the harsher the penalties.

If every club overspent by £20m FFP wouldn’t make a difference if for example every team had a 10 point deduction.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We couldn't have got a better CEO, always thought he was ok and these videos reinforce my view.

I wouldn't waste my time and energy thinking otherwise.

I have had the good fortune to meet Paul Barber a few times, either as a member of NWSS, or at separate functions at the Amex, and he has always come across really well, always friendly and personable, talks well, likes his football and a good pint of bitter. A real man of the people. I think we are in good hands.

"Financial fair play, for all its faults, for all its weaknesses, and there are many, is the right direction to be heading".

I'd be very interested to hear Paul Barber's assessment of what those faults and weaknesses are.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
"Financial fair play, for all its faults, for all its weaknesses, and there are many, is the right direction to be heading".

I'd be very interested to hear Paul Barber's assessment of what those faults and weaknesses are.

They'll be along the lines of....... Clubs like Notts Forest will totally take the piss by getting around the present laws with just a half decent accountant and lawyer.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove

Probably that it is inherently not fair when there are parachute payments. Plus the penalties for not following FFP, if promoted, do not match the rewards.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

David Burke touches on this on this week's Albion Roar, currently available as a podcast.

Never miss an opportunity to get a good plug in, I say.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
I'd like to see the map that he talked about, which shows where fans on the database come from. Would be really interesting to see the reach beyond B^H

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
That is really good viewing and the first time I've seen PB speak.

He does indeed across very well and I couldn't disagree with anything he said.

If I was TB, I would be very pleased to have PB fronting the show.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Probably that it is inherently not fair when there are parachute payments. Plus the penalties for not following FFP, if promoted, do not match the rewards.

Exactly the point I made and we both agreed with. Incidentally, this was an 'in conversation' where I wanted to concentrate mainly on how all the other stuff impacted on the football side of things, which is the only thing that many, if not most, of the new fan intake care about and is what will directly impact on future attendances. I think the signing of Lita confirms that the club 'gets' that - not that there was any doubt they didn't actually, except from a few on here..... :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here