Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Attendance for the Palace away and home legs

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Obviously a Palace wind up. I hope.

Also why is the need for such a big segregation zone? Nothing will kick off, especially inside the stadium under such strict ticketing conditions.

Why would you hope it's a wind up? Without attracting lapsed fans from other clubs, there is no way our attendances would have ballooned so much since the move to The Amex

I can name at least 20 people I know who go to The Amex who had only a passing interest in Brighton as their local side before we moved to the stadium. If that is the same for most people, then a fair proportion of our new crowd is going to be made up of that sort of person

Evidence, please sir.

I'm not suggesting we have gone from 7k to 30k dye in the wool fans. I know a fair few who have taken to the club, not necessarily adopted us. I think they are underestimating us though. Not that is does/should bother me that they think.

I've never quite understood the plastic thing anyway. Surely a plastic stays at home and watches their team from the comfort of their own home.

Thinking about it, further, I shouldn't care if someone supports another team. It's not for me, but at least they pay to turn up (even if they happen to upset someone by leaving early or criticising the beer or what-have-you).

I'm tying myself in knots. Help!

Speaking from personal experience, I've lost count of the number of people who I now speak to who, when to referring to 'us', I have to ask if they mean Brighton or United/Liverpool/Chelsea etc.

Not saying it's a bad thing, 7 or 8 thousand fans rattling around the Amex would be ridiculous, but to suggest that all 28,000 are life-long Albion supporters is plain deluded. This point will only be truly illustrated when we next go through a bad spell.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This point will only be truly illustrated when we next go through a bad spell.
I bet it won't. Going to the football is habit forming. Even if the football is turd, we won't see an enormous* drop off at the gate because too many other things seem to be done very well at the club. Look at Reading, because to outsiders we are probably a slightly bigger version of them.

*actually, even if did and we lost an enormous 10,000 fans, we'd still be getting very respectable 18,000 gates - still above-average Championship gates.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I never understand how the MET and stewards can cope with about ONE seat buffer zone when Spurs play at Chelsea etc but need two blocks or so when Brighton play at Palace.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I never understand how the MET and stewards can cope with about ONE seat buffer zone when Spurs play at Chelsea etc but need two blocks or so when Brighton play at Palace.

Perhaps they give the intensity of the rivalry greater credence than some.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We have, and they do.

We have probably 5% properly new fans at most. The vast majority went sometimes to Withdean then committed to a STH (like me and many I know) and many are returning Goldstone-dwellers. Got to know about 12 people round where we sit and not a SINGLE one is a "new" fan. I'm not convinced its even as high as 5% properly "new" fans.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I bet it won't. Going to the football is habit forming. Even if the football is turd, we won't see an enormous* drop off at the gate because too many other things seem to be done very well at the club. Look at Reading, because to outsiders we are probably a slightly bigger version of them.

*actually, even if did and we lost an enormous 10,000 fans, we'd still be getting very respectable 18,000 gates - still above-average Championship gates.

This is where the monthly direct debit will come into it's own, as long as they don't hike prices too much. It's easier to keep it running and just miss the odd game if you're getting bored or fed up with the football, than it it to cancel and then do the odd game buying single tickets.

The longer we can keep up the 20,000+ attendances, the more of that 20,000 we can say is our core support. It's a total guess, but if you think our core support in the last couple of seasons at withdean was about 6000, I rekon you could call that at least 10,000 now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I actually KNOW the answer to this because I PMd the Palace chairman on the BBS. Nice bloke actually.

In short, the Met don't want too many of the two sets of fans sharing facilites and routes to the stand. I suspect WHL has better facilities and access than SP. Oh, and he then went on to complement the Amex and wished they had our stadium.

So in short, it is because Selhurst Park is f*cking sh*t. Hope this helps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here