Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Attempted assassination of Slovakian MP

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
This guy and Orban of Hungary have succeeded in diluting NATO's response to Putin's genocide. How many lives have been lost as a result of them being Putin sympathisers ? Sorry, but he's just collateral damage, in a war that is surreptitiously engulfing all of us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't be silly.
Indeed.

It seems we have reached a situation where a WW is almost impossible. Instead, we have proxy wars for domestic consumption, in Eastasia or Eurasia. Never in Oceana or on Airstrip 1.

The only worry is the flabbiness that comes from such global stability. The situation in Ukraine is stable, as is the situation in Gaza, with the much stronger power testing out its weaponry and tactics while the rest of the world turns the other way and leaves them to get on with it, or maybe arms the other side to see how well their weapons work, diverting tax payer money to the arms industry in the process. All very stable. But flabby. Meaning another nut job gang like Al-Qaeda could pop up out of the woodwork and blow up thousands of unsuspecting civilians.

On that cheery note....g'night.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Europe and indeed, the wider world, is a hotbed of flashpoints at the monent. I think we have reached the end of the road for the UN now as they have been shown to have no authority or power to stop any reasonable sized nation from going to war..

Russia has got away with War Crimes in Syria and has been emboldened to do the same in Ukraine..China is eyeing up Taiwan and numerous small archipelago's on order to extend its " reach ". The US is seen as divided ( thanks to Trump and his appeasers ) and no longer the guarantor of financial or explosive oblivion for a nation that steps out of line... lots of little squabbles, independence protests and neighbors eying up disputed territories....scary times all around.
Russia invaded Ukraine the first time, when Obama was president, before Trump held power. They invaded the second time when Biden was president. They didn't invade when Trump was president.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Russia invaded Ukraine the first time, when Obama was president, before Trump held power. They invaded the second time when Biden was president. They didn't invade when Trump was president.
Yes but it is somewhat possible that the Covid-19 Pandemic delayed the 2nd invasion until 2022.

It is more likely the Russia invaded at times when circumstances allowed and its military was ready.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Any country that is actively and financially supporting Ukraine against the illegal invasion of their country and the unthinkable but inevitable global consequences if Putin succeeds, is working towards peace IMHO. The UK have led the way in western europe. There are many, many reasons to have a go at this government but this isn't one. Thankfully Labour and the Tories appear to share the same view here so there is no reason to make this party political.
Peace? The current government is fanning the flames of division on many levels. Siding with Ukraine doesn’t negate this. I also don’t think they’ve “led the way”. For example the UK’s Ukrainian refugee program was complicated and lacking compared to other countries.

Last edited:

Mar 2, 2014
I'm sure people were making the same naive statements in the lead up to World War 1 and World War 2. We're already well on the road to a global conflict. It will look different from those wars but it's going to cost a huge amount of lives and it will all be a complete waste of time. People come and go but the world will go on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Events in Belarus, Georgia and now Slovakia indicate that Russia wants to regain that sphere of influence over the former Iron Curtain countries and Soviet republics.

You wonder whether - ultimately - there will be some sort of deal where Ukraine gets to join the EU in return for giving up the land Russia presently holds. It may be a compromise nobody wants but political and economic reality forces both sides to accept.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Events in Belarus, Georgia and now Slovakia indicate that Russia wants to regain that sphere of influence over the former Iron Curtain countries and Soviet republics.

You wonder whether - ultimately - there will be some sort of deal where Ukraine gets to join the EU in return for giving up the land Russia presently holds. It may be a compromise nobody wants but political and economic reality forces both sides to accept.
if you were Ukrainian - would you take that deal? I mean if I was - I would take it - for security. But then I'm not.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For defensive purposes Ukraine will want to be in NATO but I think they might need to play the long game. If Ukraine joins the EU then it will have easier and more ready access to money, labour, and resources that it needs to rebuild. The EU in return gets a hugely significant agricultural producer.

Putin will eventually expire and whilst it would be naive to think Russia will be more approachable following his demise he IS a dinosaur, the Russian economy is in a mess and it is important that they get the European market back for their oil and gas. China might help them but they too have their economic woes and will not want to be dragged down by Russia.

Much will depend upon whether Trump is elected President because if he is then I think a deal could be forced on Ukraine. He will certainly not be as friendly to Ukraine as Biden.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And your point is?

Trump will send Putin back?

Hmmmm....

We got promoted under Hughton. We never got promoted under RDZ.....

And so....? ???

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
And your point is?

Trump will send Putin back?

Hmmmm....

We got promoted under Hughton. We never got promoted under RDZ.....

And so....? ???
The point is that a simple assumption that Trump's policies will be more likely to cause war is far too black-and-white. The evidence is overwhelming that the Democrats' policies don't prevent war either, both with Putin and with Iran (plus proxies).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The point is that a simple assumption that Trump's policies will be more likely to cause war is far too black-and-white. The evidence is overwhelming that the Democrats' policies don't prevent war either, both with Putin and with Iran (plus proxies).
I am not remotely bothered about that. Events, dear boy, are events. It is intents that bother me.

Such as a US President who is openly inviting Putin to make war on Ukraine, and will arm Israel to the teeth without blinking over Gaza.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here