Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Attacking width

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No they wouldn’t!
Utd did play well, but goodness me we were dire in that first half. GP did get it wrong but the players did not help him at all.

We looked lethargic, a number did not look sharp and I only hope that was the jolt we need for Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ll agree to disagree on this? The one touch passing was as good as any I’ve seen this season and when we did get the ball we were closed down so quickly. That was the most impressive team performance I’ve seen this season :shrug:

Take it on the chin, we would have been outclassed by better players however we set up

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Not sure what the problem with him is, but he certainly used to LEAN BACK when he had a shot....

I'm not sure why some people Got so excited By him, posters on here used to get l'ardons when he went tearing down a wing

Anyway, I'm beginnig to wonder, football wise, whether he's been Mortadellay wounded

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Also, it's really easy to just accuse anybody questioning this as being negative or knowing nothing about football. Fine. I am not a better manager than Potter.
But, there are lots and lots of more experienced and more successful managers around and almost all of them know their best team and formation. Even Ranieri, one of the few (relatively) successful unpredictable managers had his greatest success at Leicester and I can reel off that team and formation off the top of my head.

Not saying potter knows nothing about football ,and I’m not better than him . But like yourselves and many others have watched many a game and have an opinion. When you saw that team I’m sure a lot of people’s thoughts were “ well who’s playing where “ . Just for one week pick players in there right positions

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Let’s be honest the Manchester United that turned up last night would have beaten us convincingly however we set up. Yes GP got it wrong but I really believe we’d be saying the same however we set up. We were and would have been chasing shadows, unfortunate to be caught by a team playing at full strength with so much confidence. Their players were better than ours in every position. I take no solace from the second half performance, United had taken their foot off the pedal and would have ramped it up again if we had scored or looked like we might turn it around

Lambs to the slaughter

Am I despondent? Nah We have a couple of games left where we should have enough. Expecting a hiding from City and Liverpool. Norwich is a must win game imo if we don’t want a finger biting end to the season.

Yup, agree with all or, at the very least, the vast majority of that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We’ll agree to disagree on this? The one touch passing was as good as any I’ve seen this season and when we did get the ball we were closed down so quickly. That was the most impressive team performance I’ve seen this season :shrug:

Take it on the chin, we would have been outclassed by better players however we set up

Definitely will on this occasion. It is completely pointless playing Connolly on his own, he literally didn’t hold it up once, which although not his game was required to give the defence some respite.

Presumably Potter wasn’t happy either given the changes.

Sorry Icy, the first half was embarrassing.....

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I admit it Potter annoys me...
Arsenal was hugely enjoyable but they outplayed us and it was a very lucky 3 points.
Leicester are obviously well out of form and yet to score a goal.
United made us look like a boys club team first half.
I agree with previous remarks regarding how frequently his tactical changes come about..... because his original formation has been disastrous. After these changes we then tend to play better but we are lucky if we're still in the game by then. I bet he absolutely loves the new subs rule and the drinks break, oh the chance to tinker and tinker again.
Hopefully, he's learning fast (and it has been an enjoyable ride with him so far) but I don't think he's the tactical genius he thinks he is.
Man U stuck with the team and formation that outplayed Sheff U.

Interesting observation and I tend to agree with it 100%

Your theory behind it differs from mine though

Mine is that original Team Selections have an external influence - The '' in play '' alterations and plans , I do think do

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Another good post, although I'd be more precise with the opening sentence. Liverpool have one and, as DFP has pointed out, so do Wolves (just about), Burnley and Palace.
We don't have one currently, and that's in large part because we don't have m/any stand-out players. I'm hoping that will change in the transfer window, when we go for quality not quantity, and I think you alluded to that. Currently, we only really have a handful (at best) of automatic picks: Ryan, Dunk, Bissouma, Propper (normally he's a shoe-in for me and Potter, but he really was dreadful last night) and probably Maupay. You add two or three quality additions (one of which might be White, another Lamptey) and then you begin to get a more settled line up.

until 5 games ago Bissouma was not one of the automatic picks....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No, losing 5-0 at home to Bournemouth is embarrassing. Being 2-0 down to a Man Utd team on great form, one goal of which was due to a huge deflection, is not embarrassing. Below par, maybe, but it was leagues away from embarrassing. Seriously people get a grip! So may of you sound like entitled Leeds fans!

Wow! you were satisfied with the first half?
Just admit GP got it badly wrong and the players let him down....
Low standards indeed.
Embarrassing for me - couldn’t track, couldn’t pass, couldn’t hold the ball up, beaten on the near post, players positionally naive..... Bissouma and Lamptey were the only ones with any credit....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wow you were satisfied with the first half?
Just admit GP got it badly wrong and the players let him down....
Low standards indeed.
Embarrassing for me

Then again you could just accept that we were played off the park from the first minute :shrug:

Sometimes the classy teams get it together and you have to suck it up, embarrassing did not cross my mind just a numb acceptance that sometimes these things happen.

Embarrassing was what went on at this stage last season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Then again you could just accept that we were played off the park from the first minute :shrug:

Sometimes the classy teams get it together and you have to suck it up, embarrassing did not cross my mind just a numb acceptance that sometimes these things happen.

Embarrassing was was went on at this stage last season.

As you said differ in opinion on this.
Chelsea with Hazard and Willian in that drubbing is when you applaud, magnificent movement, not statuesque midfield players letting people run past them.

Or Liverpool with Coutinho that season....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Er, why does a persons view have to be one of the two binary options: satisfied or embarrassing?

It was absolutely, categorically NOT embarrassing. FACT. Either that or you have been supporting a top 6 side and have decided to start watching other teams?
It was a bit below par, not satisfying no but, against a non-top 6 side would probably have had us level at half time. Not the end of the world is it? Not embarrassing.
Answer me this: If you think that was embarrassing what did you make of the 5-0 loss last season to Bournemouth? Or that home loss under Adams II to a ten man team? Or the 7 goals Huddersfield thrashed past us? Are you really filing that first half performance in the same category as them!? REALLY!?

Fact because you think so? Oh please do me a favour.

Bournemouth was really poor/embarrassing because the players threw in the towel and the score line. Didn’t go to Huddersfield under Slade.

But where we are now to the. Is relative, below par is extremely generous and incorrect IMO, for the reasons I have stated.

Sorry if players can’t do basic things that is poor - an embarrassing first half performance.

Having supported Brighton for over 45 years I’ve probably seen as many poor displays at the next man, but standards change depending on the league.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I am lost for words. You expect us to be a top 6 team?

Where have I said that?

I expect us to compete, otherwise why bother? In the first half we did not compete, that was a bit of Utd playing well, but a lot of lack of application, poor decision making and performances (plus tactics).

Do you think we should roll over because of reputation? Glad we didn't adopt that approach vs Man Utd last season, and Spurs and Arsenal this season.....

(Of course I know you don't really believe that)...... :)

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Amazing given the glut of wide players that have come our way over recent years and, indeed, those we still own, that our starting line-up against Manchester United involved playing a right-back (Lamptey) wide on the right and a central-midfielder (Bissouma) wide on the left.

Izquierdo: parma-injured.
Knockaert: at Fulham
Trossard: sub
March: sub
Ali J: last seen alive several months ago

Potter picking the team v United..

giphy.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here