Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attacking coach- Finishing

Feb 21, 2009
Anyone know if it's a case of we need an attacking coach among the staff we currently operate with.
I know they didnt score yesterday, but Jimmy Floyd was among the Notts Forest staff, do we need someone who knows where the net is to coax our strikers to believe in themselves and finish all these chances!!!

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
You cant teach this stuff though can you. Take the Hoskins chance where he volleyed over. Any goalscoring player would nod that in but Hoskins instinct was to volley. Sometimes would work but you cant teach instincts

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Anyone know if it's a case of we need an attacking coach among the staff we currently operate with.
I know they didnt score yesterday, but Jimmy Floyd was among the Notts Forest staff, do we need someone who knows where the net is to coax our strikers to believe in themselves and finish all these chances!!!

I think you will find that our strikers are the domain of Charlie Oatway... ... ...

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
You cant teach this stuff though can you. Take the Hoskins chance where he volleyed over. Any goalscoring player would nod that in but Hoskins instinct was to volley. Sometimes would work but you cant teach instincts

The ball was slightly behind him I think, any header would've had no power whatsoever. It was an awkward chance and would've taken incredible skill and reactions to put it away.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is this right??? That old goalscoring legend, instinctive lethal finisher Charlie Oatway!!!

I think the root of the problem has been located!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Charlie Oatway is an Albion legend, no doubt about it and a top bloke to boot. But a championship level coach???. Now I know you don't have to be a great player to be a great coach, but the sort of player Oatway was and the sort of teams he played in, I don't really see what he can bring to the table. That said Gus loves the guy, that much I do know. I imagine he is good banter to have around the place, which is fine in the right role. But coaching the strikers???

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010

no. we know they can score... just not happening right now, what can you do? keep the faith

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Was a bit grim watching the warm-up shooting session. Not many on target.

Lopez got most of his in the top corners. I don't recall him even shooting during the match though.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Judging from most of the Forest goal efforts yesterday, Jimmy FH is having about as much effect as dear old Charlie. Come to think of it, Jimmy could probably still do better than some of those yesterday.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The ball was slightly behind him I think, any header would've had no power whatsoever. It was an awkward chance and would've taken incredible skill and reactions to put it away.

having seen it again , I'll stick with original thought that should of scored

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think it was a joke about Charlie teaching our strikers how to shoot... Maybe we need to get a sports psychologist in to tell them how to put it in the sodding onion bag - confidence has a lot to do with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here