Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere Today

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It would help if people’s expectations weren’t so high. I mean, I’d like to win the lottery but unless I enter it...Similarly, I’d like a cracking atmosphere but a good 29000 aren’t bothered or they’d make one so there really isn’t any point complaining because if you do you’re in a tiny minority! That is the cold, hard reality. Can conjure up all manner of ‘solutions’ such as singing sections but fact is the vast vast majority of fans just ain’t up for 90mins of constant noise. In fact we know most ain’t even up for 90mins of football going by the empty stands at the final whistle.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Screenshot_20191229-003506.pngScreenshot_20191229-003531.png

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Always weird to read reports from people that weren't there. Been MANY worse atmospheres than there was today.

Yeah I didn't think it was all that bad at all. Spells of quiet in the first half but always buzzing I thought. Second half a lot better.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Threads like these make me wonder if the stadium designers failed in their quest to make it so the noise carried around the stadium. I'm in the 'wasn't particularly impressed by the atmosphere' camp. I too heard the 'is this a library' from the Bournemouth fans. But it would be an odd thing to come on here and lie about it so perhaps the OP and others who thought it was a great atmosphere were in the heart of the singing section, surround by noise. While those of us in other areas of the ground missed out because perhaps the noise gets directed onto the pitch rather than around the stadium.

That was really dull. It was just two gents having a reasonable, restrained conversation after a disappointing result. Where's their 'arsenal fans tv' equivalent? The ranting, the sense of entitlement, the disconnect from reality are all missing from the 50 seconds of the video that I watched before almost falling asleep. They'll never monetise their vlog without cheeky characters and colloquialisms the audience can make fun of, even though it's not really any worse than other verbal tics.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I wasn't there and couldn't watch on TV either so asked on the match thread it was as bad as Barry Glendenning was making out. He's grumpy and cynical at the best of times, especially since Sunderland are languishing in the 3rd tier. A tad bitter, perhaps :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd say the atmosphere wasn't quite an 8/10 but certainly a solid 7.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I was NW today. I'm not suggesting it was a cauldron of noise throughout, but it was decent especially considering 12.30ko which are notorious for being sleepy. North was up for it from the off.

I thought it was full today too until I just saw the highlights and noticed loads of empty seats in the east lower again that I couldn't see from where i was. So annoying the cameras face the east lower!

From ESU you could see loads of empty seats in the West and North. The West likely corporate seats not used during Christmas holidays as many pockets of empty seats together.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Don't get me wrong, I still think it could be much better of course, but then so could all grounds in English football thesedays

Not sure about that, Wolves produced a phenomenal atmosphere against City. Sheffield Utd, Norwich, Clackerjack Leicester and Palace all put our ‘atmosphere’ to shame. Bissouma trying to ignite/rally the North in the second half yesterday summed it up for me, thought it was very flat overall.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Not so much about quantity mate more along the lines of quality
Regards
DF

What makes a ‘Quality’ football supporter?
One with dodgy racist beliefs?
One who thinks having a ruck with opposition’Qaulity’ supporters is a proof of superiority?
One Spewing hate and bile over the internet because you still live in a warped 1970s timeframe and have never grown up passed the “We took your end” mentality?
One never going to games of the team you supposedly support, and instead criticising those who do?

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Game of two halves. Weirdly silent first half followed by great second (half time pint, North standing, lots of attacking towards our end, some cheating by Bournemouth to get cross about...)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Absolutely, we should be spurring the players on. I get the feeling it would have been good today even without an early goal.

Made me chuckle when the Bournemouth lot sang is this a library during one quiet spell when it was nervy, after taking about half their allocation and singing f all themselves

The atmosphere was great yesterday, early goal and all that. Having said that, I sit just to the north of the halfway line in the west stand, the Bournemouth fans were louder when they sang than the north stand. I don’t know why this still happens, but it’s pretty much the same every match. Until the NS gets itself together this will always be the case, ‘away’ fans are always noisy, look at us when we go away. But, based on games like yesterday, if our NS could join up I think we’d give the visiting fans a run for their money.

goldstoneseagull

Aug 9, 2017
The atmosphere was great yesterday, early goal and all that. Having said that, I sit just to the north of the halfway line in the west stand, the Bournemouth fans were louder when they sang than the north stand. I don’t know why this still happens, but it’s pretty much the same every match. Until the NS gets itself together this will always be the case, ‘away’ fans are always noisy, look at us when we go away. But, based on games like yesterday, if our NS could join up I think we’d give the visiting fans a run for their money.

This is pretty much bang on- back corner of N1C/N1D is singing throughout but doesn't trickle down the rows despite everyone standing.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Trouble is Phil, bar the club writing to every NS STH and asking: do you sing and how much? (If yes, we’re moving you to central blocks; if no, we’re moving you elsewhere...) it’s impossible for the two pockets (numbering no more than 50 in each) to hear each other when starting songs. Even then, the other several thousand in that stand still won’t sing. And what about the other 25,000 Albion fans in the stadium - no one stopping them! Nope, the atmosphere at all English football grounds ain’t what it used to be for many well discussed reasons. Nothing can remedy this with the possible exception of free alcohol and that certainly is never going to happen!! :)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I honestly feel that one's location within The Amex has a large bearing upon one's view upon the atmosphere as to its magnitude.

Personally thought it was decent at times, but deathly quiet in others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here