Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere for the run in - starting with Huddersfield Saturday

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh yeah we've all got six fingers and toes and our mothers are also our uncle's sisters etc.

Yes there was of course lots of that going on but like I said three separate incidents of fans calling each other out for conflicting opinions.

I've heard lots of increased frustration against various people not just Locadia and it needs to stop. Im guilty of getting frustrated like anyone but I also know when to just try and stay positive and vocally so as well.

As much as I might privately be pissed off by a players glaring limitations (CMS, Locadia spring to mind), in the Amex era I’ve never vocalised that against a player.

Instead, just a quiet acceptance when we start a match comatose, it doesn’t stop and we concede. In my 50’s, I’m more philosophical, and not part of the younger mob trying to crank things up.

But when we’re attacking and playing well, I whole heartedly join in.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Black hoodies, and some sort of arts and crafts display made in a disused car park? That creates a legendary atmosphere apparently.

Seriously though lets replicate the Sheffield Wednesday playoff atmosphere for the remaining home games and really get behind the team.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
We have pockets of passionate fans around the stadium but with so many old and middle class fans attending to their children’s hot dog needs, it’s never going to be a cauldron of noise. Especially if we go a goal down and the moaners take over.

Agree but it's this last bit we can control and there so many passive bystanders which I just find bizarre. I don't expect it to be a cauldron of noise but a smattering of 'support;' instead of moaning would be good. Hell just to get some of them to clap their hands at the right time would be a bonus....

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
The last game we attended we tried the Northstand and we actually scored ! So obviously people do what they do when their team scores , a group of youngish lads were simply bouncing up and down and singing , a steward then obviously told them to stop ! Now if this is the mentality of those in charge of the stewards to nip in the bud anything that’s deemed slightly unsophisticated then what chance is there to ever get the place rocking , now I’m only saying what I saw so there may well be another reason the fun police stepped in but if not then it’s such a shame that people just enjoying themselves is deemed worthy of a telling off , for goodness sake it’s a football match not the opera .

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I get the tongue in cheek nature of this response but I really do fear us sleep walking into relegation and a poisonous home atmosphere a la Burnley could be contagious if we don’t nip it in the bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely right, and a very timely thread if l may say so. What also concerns me is our continued involvement in the FA Cup, any other season and it's a plus, but with important league games being postponed to make way for it, games are going to start building up towards the end of the season.

I hate to say this, but losing at Millwall could be a blessing in disguise.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The last game we attended we tried the Northstand and we actually scored ! So obviously people do what they do when their team scores , a group of youngish lads were simply bouncing up and down and singing , a steward then obviously told them to stop ! Now if this is the mentality of those in charge of the stewards to nip in the bud anything that’s deemed slightly unsophisticated then what chance is there to ever get the place rocking , now I’m only saying what I saw so there may well be another reason the fun police stepped in but if not then it’s such a shame that people just enjoying themselves is deemed worthy of a telling off , for goodness sake it’s a football match not the opera .

I think you maybe meant to send that to our CEO who seems to be doing all he can to kill the atmosphere and piss off the fans.

He wants plastics who will spend a shedload in the shop and obey the "sit down, shut up" rule in his sanitised passionless footballing world.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Black hoodies, and some sort of arts and crafts display made in a disused car park? That creates a legendary atmosphere apparently.

Don't forget to buy plenty of these

71SbeQ7Nn9L._SX425_.jpg

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Absolutely right, and a very timely thread if l may say so. What also concerns me is our continued involvement in the FA Cup, any other season and it's a plus, but with important league games being postponed to make way for it, games are going to start building up towards the end of the season.

I hate to say this, but losing at Millwall could be a blessing in disguise.

Would it boll0cks.

If we beat Millwall, our game v Spurs will be postponed on semi-final weekend, and need to be accommodated later.

If we LOSE to Millwall, our game v Spurs (almost certainly at Wembley) will be postponed on semi-final weekend, and need to be accommodated later.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
As much as I might privately be pissed off by a players glaring limitations (CMS, Locadia spring to mind), in the Amex era I’ve never vocalised that against a player.

Instead, just a quiet acceptance when we start a match comatose, it doesn’t stop and we concede. In my 50’s, I’m more philosophical, and not part of the younger mob trying to crank things up.

But when we’re attacking and playing well, I whole heartedly join in.

I hear you. Im knocking on 40 but want my experience at games to be one of collective togetherness (pardon the Club narrative but can't think of a better way of expressing it) not one of where 60% of the people attending games do so to sit quietly and leave on 75 minutes.

Genuine question - why do you only whole heartedly join in when "we're attacking and playing well" and not to lift the team? They're not mutually exclusive events.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I hear you. Im knocking on 40 but want my experience at games to be one of collective togetherness (pardon the Club narrative but can't think of a better way of expressing it) not one of where 60% of the people attending games do so to sit quietly and leave on 75 minutes.

Genuine question - why do you only whole heartedly join in when "we're attacking and playing well" and not to lift the team? They're not mutually exclusive events.

Don’t mind you asking, you’re a fair minded NSC’er!

Purely a personal opinion, but I’m firmly a believer that the team’s performance sets the tone, not the other way round. After a lifetime of watching sport, I can sense when we are not at the races. Plus I’m 50’s, I can’t be arsed to get out of my seat and roar on a team not clicking. I’m an analytical type. Having said that I despise some oppostion players, the occasional ref, manager and use colourful language with the best of them. I admire the croaky voiced pissheads who get songs going. That goes all the to the 70’s NS with its low roof - the choirmasters who’d start with “Give me a Beeeeeee”.

Can I just say that the Amex doesn’t have a defined raucous area. Parish and the Ultras have orchestrated that. I bet stewards don’t keep forcing the Ultras to sit down. Why are Bloom and Barber so obsessed with that regulation, when others clubs turn a blind eye? The youngsters and older fans making the noise face the risk of a ban if they persistently stand and/or make wnkr signs. That can’t help the Amex become a cauldron.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Purely a personal opinion, but I’m firmly a believer that the team’s performance sets the tone, not the other way round.

Absolutely this. We all give a roar when the game starts, then it's down to the players to give us something to roar about. We roar when they attack, they get fired up, we roar some more, they get even more fired up to attack - and so on.

It just doesn't feel natural to cheer and sing whilst watching a back-pass, then a sideways pass, then a back-pass, then a sideways pass.. and so on. If we sang and cheered whilst that was happening, would the player think "ooh, they're noisy.. sod it, I'll run forwards with it instead". No, they wouldn't. They'd just wonder why we were cheering a back-pass!

Personally though - I despair at people who just sit there, motionless, for the whole game. Why even turn up? Some old woman in front of me is on bloody Facebook for 80 of the 90 minutes and barely notices the match happening!! There's a balance to be had, and it's somewhere between 90 minutes of going mental, and sitting there like you're at a funeral. I do, however, still think the team will always be in control of the atmosphere - and they will get back what they give on the pitch.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Absolutely this. We all give a roar when the game starts, then it's down to the players to give us something to roar about. We roar when they attack, they get fired up, we roar some more, they get even more fired up to attack - and so on.

It just doesn't feel natural to cheer and sing whilst watching a back-pass, then a sideways pass, then a back-pass, then a sideways pass.. and so on. If we sang and cheered whilst that was happening, would the player think "ooh, they're noisy.. sod it, I'll run forwards with it instead". No, they wouldn't. They'd just wonder why we were cheering a back-pass!

Personally though - I despair at people who just sit there, motionless, for the whole game. Why even turn up? Some old woman in front of me is on bloody Facebook for 80 of the 90 minutes and barely notices the match happening!! There's a balance to be had, and it's somewhere between 90 minutes of going mental, and sitting there like you're at a funeral. I do, however, still think the team will always be in control of the atmosphere - and they will get back what they give on the pitch.

This. The team set the tone. If they come out on saturday and play tippy-tappy across the back like it doesn't matter then they'll get exactly the atmosphere they deserve.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I sat in the NE corner at one of our promotion games, plus Hudd last season, instinctively standing up, waving on and roaring on each counter attack. I don’t normally sit there. It was packed.

I realised that I was possibly the only person standing. At over 6’, I stood out as a lemon and got some looks.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Purely a personal opinion, but I’m firmly a believer that the team’s performance sets the tone, not the other way round. .

Quite true and even more so in adversity - arguably two of the best Amex atmospheres were the Burnley sending off game and the Sheff Wed game. The atmosphere was as a result of us being behind due to "unjustly or otherwise" instances. Look at Old Trafford, when we played them it was quite as a mouse save for an "Ole Ole" when they scored yet yesterday when the fans felt they were dealt an unfair hand due to the injuries they got behind the team.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
What we don't want is the snowflakes rubbishing any of our players there are two a couple of rows in front of me

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Quite true and even more so in adversity - arguably two of the best Amex atmospheres were the Burnley sending off game and the Sheff Wed game. The atmosphere was as a result of us being behind due to "unjustly or otherwise" instances. Look at Old Trafford, when we played them it was quite as a mouse save for an "Ole Ole" when they scored yet yesterday when the fans felt they were dealt an unfair hand due to the injuries they got behind the team.

Remember those well, Brighton continued to play well.

It’s not necessarily being a goal or man down, instead it’s when the team come out comatose and are being outplayed.

Burnley and Massive in no way outplayed us, quite the opposite. Giving us hope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here