Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Athens "Travel Form" email...

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
No chance! Never again after that shambles in Marseille.

That's how I'd feel (though I'm not going to Athens). The club and our police officer parroted what they were being told, despite hearing from fans what was happening in the square. We all went along with the official advice that we had to catch the shuttle bus, yet those of us arriving less than 2h45m ahead of kickoff to catch one ended up missing the first 20 minutes of the game. What I learned was: do not follow the official advice.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Irrespective of everything, my flight doesn't get in till half 1 - if everything goes to plan - then it's metro to the hotel, dump stuff, get ticket, go to bus place all naturally a distance apart. Bus at 4 isn't happening.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
perhaps we need confirmation from west ham fans who were recently in Athens (playing a different team) fans had no problem getting in if they didn't take the bus?

Hugh Jorgan

Jul 30, 2008
Brighton
perhaps we need confirmation from west ham fans who were recently in Athens (playing a different team) fans had no problem getting in if they didn't take the bus?
I think going to Olympiakos in Piraeus is whole different board game to going to AEK, they are a mental lot. But would be interesting to know ff any West Ham did ignore their advice and how it went.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I know it was a different stadium, but Celtic seem to be the last British club to have played AEK and they were strongly advised to use the provided buses...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
1 hour 59 to walk. 49 mins to get public transport.

May as well get the buses then.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Do the coaches take you back after the game or are they only provided to the ground?

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I know it was a different stadium, but Celtic seem to be the last British club to have played AEK and they were strongly advised to use the provided buses...

“Fans can expect to be security checked more than once on the approach to the stadium.

“No alcohol is allowed at the match. Fans who are drunk will be refused entry.

“Please note that rowdy and noisy behaviour, especially alcohol related, may not be tolerated by the Greek authorities.”

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
and potentially an evening in an Athens hospital if the AEK fans decide to follow the Ajax example and push onto a metro train at a station and bottle you.
Wow, that seems like an unnecessarily graphic burst of negative imagination?

I'm probably being naive but I'd have thought that if you're not wearing colours, and just quietly gazing into your phone in the corner of the carriage, you're not likely to catch anyone's attention in a bad way.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just found this "diary" of a Celtic fan there for their trip a few years ago - the same one detailed in the article I posted earlier.

Despite the buses, he caught the metro to the ground without any issues. In fact it reads that he didn't even know about the buses until he came out the ground afeter the game and saw them lined up..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
and potentially an evening in an Athens hospital if the AEK fans decide to follow the Ajax example and push onto a metro train at a station and bottle you.
I very much doubt it. Any previous trouble was caused by Dynamo Zagreb. AEK fans are fine.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Just found this "diary" of a Celtic fan there for their trip a few years ago - the same one detailed in the article I posted earlier.

Despite the buses, he caught the metro to the ground without any issues. In fact it reads that he didn't even know about the buses until he came out the ground after the game and saw them lined up..

It doesn't read like Millwall on steroids......

The train arrives at Irini station and I follow him off. After a handshake, I find that I am the lone Celt in the area, a Hoops-adorned subject of curiosity walking through the Greek crowds. I am asked to pose with three young AEK fans and happily oblige. I so want them to take the same photo with my phone, however the cautious Scot in me worries about losing my mobile, my only means of contact. I immediately feel embarrassed and ashamed by my lack of trust. These are good people.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m going to walk to and from the ground (20 mins or so), the bus departure point is bloody miles away.

The original comms was ‘advised’ (‘must‘ appears in relation to the pickup point as others have stated above)

Getting to the stadium

AEK Athens and the Greek Police have confirmed the following arrangements and we await confirmation of this in the coming days:

1. All away supporters are advised for their safety and security to take the transfer buses from outside Kallimamaro (Panathenaic Stadium) which will take fans straight to the stadium.
  2. Tickets will be checked and body searches will take place before getting on the buses.
  3. Supporters in Block 47 will need to board different buses to those in Blocks 46&48, please check before you board.
  4. Supporters must meet at the shuttle bus point between 3.30pm-4pm, with the journey taking around one hour through central Athens.
  5. Further security checks will take place at the stadium turnstiles. Time will be required to allow for these checks and entry through the four away turnstiles.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here