Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At what point does chanting cross over the line?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
what a load of bollocks

Yes the chants are a disgrace, but to spend the article attacking Man Utd as if they are the only ones is just pathetic. It reads like it is a Liverpool or Man City fan just trying to have a go and completely denying any wrong doing themselves.

Liverpool sing disgusting songs all the time, I have been with Arsenal fans when they have been playing Tottenham and started singing some horrendous stuff. Football fans stepped over the line a long time ago and something wider needs to be done if the chanting going too far is going to be stopped

Correct. An article choc-full of pompous self-righteous drivel.

I'd also add that whilst it takes a special kind of moron to want to sing this stuff and consider it "bantz" or "part of the game", it also takes a special kind of moron to take offence at these utter thickets singing it. Just let it go and they'll stop FFS.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It certainly isn't mate. Millwall sing "Harry Roberts is our friend" at the police, West Ham sing anti-semantic stuff to Spurs, Spurs reply with songs about the death of Bobby Moore etc etc

Exactly. If there was a tragedy surrounding Crystal Palace, you can be sure that some Albion fans would be singing about it, thinking it would be 'funny' or 'banter'...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Free speech or censorship.

Given UEFAs record of fining Manchester City because their fans booed the CL anthem and only hand our small fines for racism I would expect them to take no action.
Whether this is right or wrong is an intetesting debate in should we as a society protect people from being subjected to these chants. They are not it would seem covered by current laws.

What would UEFA fine them for?

Not being very nice?

Liverpool are as bad as United who are as bad as every club - it happens, its not right but it does.

Liverpool fans making airplane Gestures it seems last night.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Exactly. If there was a tragedy surrounding Crystal Palace, you can be sure that some Albion fans would be singing about it, thinking it would be 'funny' or 'banter'...

Albion fans HILARIOUSLY sang "We're Brightnovalbyon, We **** who we want" in the lead up to the Jury's Inn court case, so yes, I'm sure some would see it as proper BANTZ.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham

There was (Palace fan killed under a coach after Semi Final with Liverpool) and we* did ("Wheels on the Bus")

* Some Brighton fans

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just let it go and they'll stop FFS.

Really? After 27 years I am inclined to wonder just when it is likely to stop. And, in fairness, 58 years should have been long enough for the equally offensive Munich one to have stopped too.

They haven't though, have they, FFS.

There is banter, and there is stuff which goes beyond banter - and both the above are, imho, beyond the pail.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Reports reach me that there was disquiet amongst some of our fans in 1901 over the Jimmy Saville chants v Leeds!

Pathetic. If you don't like the chanting then don't go. It's been a part of the game since I first started going to matches. In fact, I'd say there is far less now than then.

Just another attempt to further sanitise the game. In a couple of generations time, fans will be taking opera glasses and applauding only at the intermission and when the final whistle blows.

"ICE CREAMS, CHOC ICES"

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Free speech or censorship.

Given UEFAs record of fining Manchester City because their fans booed the CL anthem and only hand our small fines for racism I would expect them to take no action.
Whether this is right or wrong is an intetesting debate in should we as a society protect people from being subjected to these chants. They are not it would seem covered by current laws.
image.jpeg

They got around that next game :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Reports reach me that there was disquiet amongst some of our fans in 1901 over the Jimmy Saville chants v Leeds!

Pathetic. If you don't like the chanting then don't go. It's been a part of the game since I first started going to matches. In fact, I'd say there is far less now than then.

Just another attempt to further sanitise the game. In a couple of generations time, fans will be taking opera glasses and applauding only at the intermission and when the final whistle blows.

"ICE CREAMS, CHOC ICES"

Yes, let the families stay away if they're upset, and crowds drop down to less than 10K. We mustn't stop the nastiness now, must we?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Dickheaded behaviour caused by Mancs who couldn't deal with their team being shite? Yes

Worthy of handwringing in the papers, celebrity twitterers, a meaningless statement of contrition by United and a fine by UEFA? No

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really? After 27 years I am inclined to wonder just when it is likely to stop. And, in fairness, 58 years should have been long enough for the equally offensive Munich one to have stopped too.

They haven't though, have they, FFS.

There is banter, and there is stuff which goes beyond banter - and both the above are, imho, beyond the pail.

I don't disagree with any of that really. I just feel that if people just suppressed their outrage at the sort of simpleton who considers this stuff worth chanting, they'd have stopped long ago.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
They'll be happily singing along to 'who's that dying on the runway' when they're next at old trafford no doubt. Liverpool fans love abit of outrage, up until they cause it themselves quite readily.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here