Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] At what point do player wages get looked at?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I was about to add something very similar. All the time the TV money keeps rolling in the wages will stay high.

Another thing I hear quite a lot is that the TV money makes the Premier League is the best league in the world. Well, probably true now, but should we be looking at success on a national level? Surely we were all fans of football before we're fans of a particular club or a particular league. Surely what we should all be really wanting is the overall success, advancement and health of the sport we love? Wouldn't it be much healthier if money wasn't concentrated in a few superclubs in Europe and to a lesser degree 20 teams in England?

It's faintly ridiculous that Brighton, who have been mostly rubbish during the 35 years I've supported them are now looking at taking Celtic's best player, or giving Ajax a cast off, or seeing off Benfica for a striker ... I mean the Brighton fan in me loves it, but I've got a nagging doubt that it's a sign that the overall health of the game isn't good. The fact that most big leagues in Europe have been won by the same team for years on end and by massive points totals as well. Not healthy.

This all happens I think because of our obsession with glamour and celebrity. We clamour to see these players and teams and in some way take vicarious success from the experience. Personally, I think we should be down watching Southwick .... but I'm a hypocrite because I got a Sky subscription to watch the end of the season and haven't cancelled it. Therein lies the problem. Human weakness.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sportsmen surely will have a lot of fury directed at them, especially since people seem immune to get angry about billionaires and dirty rich tax avoiders.

I think that's to do with visibility. Billionaires, (with exceptions) stay in the shadows. Footballer are photo'd getting out of their lambo's and they love it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
PL footballers backed with millions already in the bank.

Not sure they will be overly bothered if they don’t have to work again!

Can’t you see a large percentage of them pissing/gambling it away over a pretty short period though???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sadly imho, players in the main won’t budge one inch. Spurred on by agents and the all powerful PFA.

Instead, it will continue to be discretionary private donations out of net pay by some players (the scheme organised by Jordan Henderson). Which won’t reduce club costs and losses one jot.

In a parallel universe to 99.9% of the world, come Sept/Oct one way or another the likes of Grealish, Chilwell, Sancho, Aubamayeng, Havertz will find themselves rich beyond their wildest dreams. Grossing £10m to £15m a year.

Lower down in the pecking order, it will take the next contracts and courage from the likes of TB to reduce player wages.

Why would or should the players budge an inch? :shrug:

Not down to them. They take a pay cut and a club will just offer an obscene sum to a new player on higher wages. Only way for this to happen is for a more US sports rules model where you have strict salary caps and transfers. Easy for the US though as the majority of their competition for US sports doesn't cross into other countries with other rules.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
When, not if there is a second spike, in the coming months I can see a complete meltdown of professional football. It will start at the bottom and work upwards imo. I think by this time next year football will be a secondary issue to the problems the world will face, so yes the chickens will come home to roost for PL football imo.

A viable vaccine is the only way to avert the above imo and even then the knock on effect on football of what is happening may still be inevitable

Is this your glass half empty, or glass half full outlook? :moo:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why would or should the players budge an inch? :shrug:

Not down to them. They take a pay cut and a club will just offer an obscene sum to a new player on higher wages. Only way for this to happen is for a more US sports rules model where you have strict salary caps and transfers. Easy for the US though as the majority of their competition for US sports doesn't cross into other countries with other rules.

Legally who could argue.

But in isolated cases in the football, and more commonly in the business world, well paid people have voluntarily taken huge cuts in their remuneration. Not a deferment.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Always been a huge suspicion on money laundering within football transfers and clubs across Europe - which if the case is another reason why it'll never happen

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
At a Premier League level, it is unlikely. The current TV deal is enough to keep the majority of the teams ticking over even without fans for the next few seasons and then it is rumoured that the next deal will either bring things in house, or demand a ridiculously high price from the broadcasters.

I know that it is mad to think of the possibility right now, but money in the English top flight is at a fraction of what it will be in the next 5-10 years. We are talking potentially 5-10x the amount of money per club if Premier League Productions get the global uptake they think is possible by going inhouse. Wages are accordingly not going to be cut, but probably stay the same for a couple of years and then boom.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'll see how this season goes but it'll be my last season ticket i think. Watched regularly at the Goldstone, Withdean, only few games at Gillingham and two season tix at the Amex from the start but i think i may switch to more local football and the odd game at the Amex, rest on stream. Will always love the Albion but modern football and it's money often disgusts me, particularly wages and fees, it's enough to make you nauseous. There's only such much a person needs and can possibly spend, the rest doesn't make a difference to their lives.(i do appreciate many players give a lot to many great charities but even then it will be a tiny fraction of their income).

edit - my love for the Albion was sealed during my teens at the Goldstone but my best memories are from Withdean

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think it's pretty repulsive that within a matter of weeks a club like Arsenal can lay off 50 people and then shout about 220k a week for Willian and whatever absurd amount they're going to pay PEA to stay. Obviously I'm living in some fantasy land but it shouldn't be allowed.

Astonishing decision when they pay Ozil £250k a week to do nothing

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Clubs don't care - They only pretend they care.

They will go on taking people's money and the TV Money for as long as they can.

The TV Companies need ''Content'' - They haven't been able to make new TV Programmes for months due to Social Distancing. Thats why we are seeing re-runs of old Programmes repeated Constantly. Football is a fast way to create ''Content'' much quicker than it would be to start filming new programmes, much of which they can't afford to make anyhow.

Netflix and Amazon have survived this best out of all of them because they could still sell Advertising space whilst we were all locked down watching TV so did Sky to a slightly lesser extent.

So money will still be funnelled into the Top Football Clubs - The Top Football Clubs need to pay the Star Players to get people out there spending to try and kick start the Economy.

So Clubs will take as much money from the fans as they can get and still pay ''Top Dollar'' to the players. The fact that their will be Casualties financially for the fans is of no consequences to the Clubs. They just have to be seen to care without actually caring.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have always considered football money to be utterly bonkers, as is a lot of sport, big
bankers and a few other minority industries, usually involving gambling/calculated risk taking of a sort, usually with someone elses money. The sooner it implodes the better. the disparity compared to the majoritry just getting by is immoral at best.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think it's pretty repulsive that within a matter of weeks a club like Arsenal can lay off 50 people and then shout about 220k a week for Willian and whatever absurd amount they're going to pay PEA to stay. Obviously I'm living in some fantasy land but it shouldn't be allowed.
That looked liked a behind the scene restructure.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
If we are talking about the Premier League I am not sure millionaires giving up salary is going to do anything but end up in the pocket of billionaires in most cases.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here