Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] At the moment, Graham Potter is too good for Brighton. He needs better players.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Christ what has he done to upset you? He was hopefully still is an exciting player with explosive pace to open teams up.

Was, not is. Just was. And what was was just pace really; Lua Lua re-visited. Hasn't upset me at all - I'm quite sad at his demise. Still, on the good side, the lad is made for life.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you are right about Potter and Bielsa, then we should be roughly 1 season behind Leeds. Next season should be a really exciting season for us.

With finishing of chances, we’d be 6th, ten points ahead of Leeds.

54276C24-BECA-4C71-BB17-2124359B9F21.png

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The recruitment policy is by five cheap players and hope a couple work out. False economics really but then I’m not in charge.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
'Is Graham Potter too good for Brighton?'. That is click bait.

It’s a Sporting Life headline. More an opinion piece backed up by well researched stats to back up said opinion.

“You’ll never believe what albionalex said about Davy Proper when the cameras were off!” - that is click bait.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
It’s a Sporting Life headline. More an opinion piece backed up by well researched stats to back up said opinion.

“You’ll never believe what albionalex said about Davy Proper when the cameras were off!” - that is click bait.

It's a load of guff.

I am sure the writer has some other pieces in the works; 'Am I too good for my girlfriend?' and 'Am I too good to write for Sporting Life?'.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Genuinely interesting post.

Bamford’s 12 goals is a big plus for Leeds, helping them convert match supremacy into 11 EPL wins and counting.

Leeds strikers scored 13 PL goals this season vs Brighton 11.

Leeds midfielders scored 22 goals compared to the 7 from Brighton.

What do you think made the most difference?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Leeds strikers scored 13 PL goals this season vs Brighton 11.

Leeds midfielders scored 22 goals compared to the 7 from Brighton.

What do you think made the most difference?

Would it be too simplistic to suggest Leeds attack at pace before the defence can get back into shape and we take up to 20 passes to get to the edge of the box? Guess what the defence is back in place, that makes scoring much more difficult.

Potter has to take some of the blame for not varying how we attack imo, easy to blame the strikers but....

FWIW I think Potter will go on to bigger and better than Brighton and we’ll look back on his tenure with affection in time, even if he does take us down. I imagine he’d be poached by a struggling big club if we do go down though. If we stay up I hope we can keep him for another couple of seasons. IMO, yes he is better than the players at his disposal.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
It's a load of guff.

I am sure the writer has some other pieces in the works; 'Am I too good for my girlfriend?' and 'Am I too good to write for Sporting Life?'.

Have you actually bothered to read the article? It's very good and clearly well researched.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Would it be too simplistic to suggest Leeds attack at pace before the defence can get back into shape and we take up to 20 passes to get to the edge of the box? Guess what the defence is back in place, that makes scoring much more difficult.

Potter has to take some of the blame for not varying how we attack imo, easy to blame the strikers but....

They have more pace in the attacking parts of their squad, making it a lot easier to attack quickly. But sure, part of it is down to that.

Fact remains however that even teams playing a similar style as Brighton got a far better midfield goal production while only having a slightly better goal production from the strikers. The "if only we had a decent striker" talk is nonsense, in most teams (with a couple of exceptions in both directions) the midfield provide at least 50% of the goals, in Brighton Maupay alone has scored the same amount of goals as all the midfielders in the team. Thats where the big (completely ignored) difference is. People are eager to compare Maupay/Welbeck/Connolly to Bamford/Ings/Vardy but the comparison between Trossard and Jack Harrison/Harvey Barnes/Grealish or between Ali Mac and Maddison/Soucek are rarely seen despite the difference in production being larger in the other roles than the striker position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here