Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At least 10 dead in Oregon Community College Shooting

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, but think how many lives were saved because enough people had guns to shoot the gun man dead. Simples. If nobody was allowed to carry guns, but he'd managed to get hold of one, he could have just kept on shooting to his heart's content. Why does everybody vilify those sensible, nice, rational people in the NRA? Are they all commies or something?

Listen to Obamas speech and you might see a different angle
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34419802

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The US appears to be the breeding ground of a disproportionate number of people who want to carry out mass killings, either of this type or serial killings, unless of course other countries do not report them as well. Gun control will make it harder, but it will not stop these nutters from wanting to exterminate people on a grand scale. Surely the question to be asked is why is that?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The US appears to be the breeding ground of a disproportionate number of people who want to carry out mass killings, either of this type or serial killings, unless of course other countries do not report them as well. Gun control will make it harder, but it will not stop these nutters from wanting to exterminate people on a grand scale. Surely the question to be asked is why is that?

I don't think that's the case at all. Every society has its disenfranchised, borderline psychotic members who could be inclined to harm people: it has happened in the UK. It's the consummate ease with which they're able to do so where there are more guns than people that sets the U.S. aside, and uniquely so on the planet.

As my (American) wife was saying, someone commented yesterday that the gun debate in the U.S. died at Sandy Hook; if nothing changes after that, then nothing will ever change.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Just doesn't apply to individual owning guns does it. It's fraudulently supported by millions.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don't think that's the case at all. Every society has its disenfranchised, borderline psychotic members who could be inclined to harm people: it has happened in the UK. It's the consummate ease with which they're able to do so where there are more guns than people that sets the U.S. aside, and uniquely so on the planet.

As my (American) wife was saying, someone commented yesterday that the gun debate in the U.S. died at Sandy Hook; if nothing changes after that, then nothing will ever change.

I would never say it couldn't happen again over here but at least we changed things after Dunblane. You're wife is right though.....it doesn't look like they ever will over there.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

2nd_amend.jpg

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Yes, I realise that all societies have their psychotic members but it just appears that in the US this type of killing is far more prevalent. The murder rate in SA is shockingly bad and gun crime is rife, but this sort of mass killing does not appear to happen here on anything like the same scale or regularity. Gun control will make things more difficult, but I am not convinced it will cure the problem. I agree with your wife though, nothing is going to change in the US anytime soon, sadly.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Every single time something like this happens, the same conversation is had:

Rational person: 'Yet another incident highlighting the need for strict gun control in the US'

Americans: 'If everyone on the campus had a gun, he wouldn't have been able to shoot so many people'.

Etc etc etc. They will never change.

Many say the same about nuclear weapons, they're wrong as well.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Terribly sad. Whats even sadder is the knowledge that there will probably be more similar events before the year is out.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Gun control when there are already 300 million guns held in the US is sadly too late.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here