Assisted Dying

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you support the Assisted Dying Bill

• Total voters

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Stephen Hawkins condition would have made a lot of people want to end their life sooner. The world would not have seen the scientific discoveries that he has made if he decided or was pressured into making this decision. I know he probably still enjoys his life, but palliative medicine can ease suffering in terminal conditions, and that has been said before, hospital medicine can speed the ending of a life when it has got to the worst stage.

But they still suffer? Why should a persons last few months on earth be in suffering? And it may be against their will? What if they don't want to suffer any more? Maybe they have had enough of suffering?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
But they still suffer? Why should a persons last few months on earth be in suffering? And it may be against their will? What if they don't want to suffer any more? Maybe they have had enough of suffering?
My view is when any suffering doesn't come with other enjoyments in life such as seeing family, friends for the last time, or other bucket lists , holidays ect then maybe a life should be speeded to an end with morphine or whatever. Should we let someone who is young, physically fine, but mentally depressed use this option?

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
My view is when any suffering doesn't come with other enjoyments in life such as seeing family, friends for the last time, or other bucket lists , holidays ect then maybe a life should be speeded to an end with morphine or whatever. Should we let someone who is young, physically fine, but mentally depressed use this option?

So, if i were to help that someone speed to their end, should I be held accountable by law for carrying out a loved ones last wish? All the other last wishes are tied up in a legal document and carried out, word for word....a practice governed by law. So why not this one?

I have a terminally ill spouse, who is withering away in front of my eyes.....she has said that she would like to go on her terms, so that her children remember her as she is now, rather than the shell of a person she will become. Look at your partner and think about it for a minute....

There is more to this than just ethics and law - there are emotions here. They shouldn't be ignored.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
So, if i were to help that someone speed to their end, should I be held accountable by law for carrying out a loved ones last wish? All the other last wishes are tied up in a legal document and carried out, word for word....a practice governed by law. So why not this one?

I have a terminally ill spouse, who is withering away in front of my eyes.....she has said that she would like to go on her terms, so that her children remember her as she is now, rather than the shell of a person she will become. Look at your partner and think about it for a minute....

There is more to this than just ethics and law - there are emotions here. They shouldn't be ignored.
I'm sorry about your situation and respect your views. I shall not comment any further as I'm not going through what your family is going through at the moment. All the best to your family at this difficult time.

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
I'm sorry about your situation and respect your views. I shall not comment any further as I'm not going through what your family is going through at the moment. All the best to your family at this difficult time.

Thanks Dan, much appreciated.

We have polar opposite views you and I, neither is right, neither is wrong, they are just different. I respect your opinion as you do mine.

All the best

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The result of this poll is yet another example of those that shout loudest get heard. The only winners in this are Dignitas. I bet the MPs that voted against the bill are the first to run to Switzerland if a loved one is in awful pain. Why? I just don't get it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports