Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Assistant ref's flags question

Just been puzzled with this one for a long time now and i am sure somebody must know the answer. Why is one flag plain yellow and one checkered for the assistant ref's to use in each game? I cannot think of a logical reason as to why this is.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I think it's to identify which lino is which.

But that does not make sense, they run half a pitch each, and opposite sides so how would the crowd, the players or the ref get confused by this?

Please.......do not turn this into a personal duel. I am asking nicely, it was just a civilised question that i cannot find the answer to.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Please.......do not turn this into a personal duel. I am asking nicely, it was just a civilised question that i cannot find the answer to.

I'm pretty sure your question has been answered. I always thought it was so the crowd could tell who is who.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

I'm pretty sure your question has been answered. I always thought it was so the crowd could tell who is who.

Yeah this maybe right i guess. But i do not think it is valid as a rule, i have never been in a position where i am not sure which assistant ref is flagging.

hillbilly

In the hill, not over it!
Sep 1, 2008
Burgess Hill
Did quick google seatch and got this:
"Purely for identification, as a help to the media and clubs when they have reason to mention a particular linesman (now assistant referee) in any report"

Did quick google seatch and got this:
"Purely for identification, as a help to the media and clubs when they have reason to mention a particular linesman (now assistant referee) in any report"

Ah, now that makes sense, reporting/media reasons. Okay. Tar Hillbilly

withdean62

Aug 20, 2008
it is to distinguish who is the senior offical ie check flag is senior

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here