Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ASPINALL- Get a big drum and get the Amex rocking

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
As long as Martin Perry is involved with the club, there will never be (quite rightly in my book) goal music or a drummer, as he said 'over my dead body ' when setting up the Amex. Only plastic clubs have these.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Albion Band

As long as Martin Perry is involved with the club, there will never be (quite rightly in my book) goal music or a drummer, as he said 'over my dead body ' when setting up the Amex. Only plastic clubs have these.

I'd sooner have Morris Dancers!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not for me, but if it happens, I suggest the drummer sits next to Warren.

storer

Nov 28, 2010
put all the little groups of singing fans from the north stand, who seem to embarrassingly compete with each other all game, together in the centre and sing more.

That's that sorted, now back on to promotion push.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Sorry but it is this attitude that baffles me. Goal music I totally agree on but it terms of a drum then the noisiest and most atmospheric crowds on the PLANET use a drummer to keep time. I am sure we are the only country to cringe or shout plastic, do you really think that Dortmund fans for example cringe and call their fans plastic for the atmosphere they create?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I just want to point out AGAIN by the way that I am not a huge fan of a drum but thought it would be intriguing to try for one game to see if it improves the atmosphere.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I think the success of drums is cultural. It works in more energetic places like in the US such as with the Portland Timbers, or in South America. We're just too English to have that sort of enthusiasm.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its a difficult balance. Some people want atmos to improve "organically" which is a bit difficult when Baldock misses a sitter or Bruno loses his man for the umpteenth time and it all goes a bit flat, generally its passages of play that create the atmos, hitting the post, getting a couple of corners, Goldson winning a meaty challenge that kind of thing. So its when it goes flat and getting something going thats the real challenge. What the answer is I don't know.

On the subject of Ze Germans a Gooner said to me that whilst Dortmund made a racket at the Emirates it did seem quite "orchestrated" but then again us Brits are quite reserved by nature.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Its a difficult balance. Some people want atmos to improve "organically" which is a bit difficult when Baldock misses a sitter or Bruno loses his man for the umpteenth time and it all goes a bit flat, generally its passages of play that create the atmos, hitting the post, getting a couple of corners, Goldson winning a meaty challenge that kind of thing. So its when it goes flat and getting something going thats the real challenge. What the answer is I don't know.

On the subject of Ze Germans a Gooner said to me that whilst Dortmund made a racket at the Emirates it did seem quite "orchestrated" but then again us Brits are quite reserved by nature.

As much as we would all like a completely organic atmosphere there needs to be some organisation otherwise you get the mess of four different songs being sung at varying levels of hyper-speed at the Amex. A little bit more cohesion would not go a miss, I know the traditionalists won't like it but any good display or song needs a little organisation. Even Man Utd have a guy who penned the Giggs, Park and Cantona songs and distributed the words, that would have our lot cringing till they were red in the face but does it really matter?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Sorry but it is this attitude that baffles me. Goal music I totally agree on but it terms of a drum then the noisiest and most atmospheric crowds on the PLANET use a drummer to keep time. I am sure we are the only country to cringe or shout plastic, do you really think that Dortmund fans for example cringe and call their fans plastic for the atmosphere they create?

Did you not read the thread about following other football the other day? Nobody here ever watches any football other than the albion so they wouldn't know what you're on about.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did you not read the thread about following other football the other day? Nobody here ever watches any football other than the albion so they wouldn't know what you're on about.
Talking of other football - watch Match of the Day 2 last night - fantastic entertainment between Southampton and Liverpool.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Charlton have a drum and don't sing. MK Dons had a drum on Saturday and they didn't sing at all!

A drum is not the answer. Putting all the vocal support in the middle sections of the North Stand and accommodate any currently sitting elsewhere who want to join in the singing to the North Stand is.

Any currently sitting in the central section of the North Stand should then be moved to the outer blocks of the NS or elsewhere. Yes, this will upset the non-standing, non-singing population of the centre of the NS but if we (the club) are serious about improving the atmosphere then some are going to be miffed. Just tough titty really.

Or we just carry on as we are and provide Naylor with more ammunition to continue his snide comments about the fans.

Jan 30, 2008
Charlton have a drum and don't sing. MK Dons had a drum on Saturday and they didn't sing at all!

A drum is not the answer. Putting all the vocal support in the middle sections of the North Stand and accommodate any currently sitting elsewhere who want to join in the singing to the North Stand is.

Any currently sitting in the central section of the North Stand should then be moved to the outer blocks of the NS or elsewhere. Yes, this will upset the non-standing, non-singing population of the centre of the NS but if we (the club) are serious about improving the atmosphere then some are going to be miffed. Just tough titty really.

Or we just carry on as we are and provide Naylor with more ammunition to continue his snide comments about the fans.

Never happen , Barber wouldn't want to upset the customers???
regards
DR

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Generally speaking it is the centre of the NS that stands. Most of those standing across the north are towards the back and those that want to sit are towards the front. It works the same way at away games.

Why should anyone be forced to move, especially when they sit/stand with their mates? Hardly the best way to treat fans.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
No to a drum. An in-ear metronome for everyone, maybe?

Seriously though. It would be great to have the 2 blocks behind the goal all standing, front to back. But you'll always get people in those areas who say they want a good atmosphere, but aren't willing/able to stand up all game. You can ask them to move, even to another block in the North Stand, but they will be so far up their own arse that they won't. At the end of the day, you either want a rocking atmosphere, or you don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here