Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Young

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
i really, really hope Hodgson doesnt pick him for England because i wouldnt be happy with him winning penalties like that, .

What utter bollox , should England win a game and progress due to a dodgy penalty i bet you would be cheering when the net ripples ?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Deservedly so. Rubbish player and total diver. He offers nothing, and he might as well pack his bags for next summer. Moyes won't keep him. No chance.

I wouldn't say he was rubbish, but he has certainly lost his way. The player at Villa could go past players and as well as being able to play out wide, was also able to play in the hole behind the central striker and when Martin O'Neill was their manager he seemed to be the player he built their team around. He just hasn't looked the same player in the 3 seasons since he went to United. I do tend to agree that he is likely to be surplus to Moyes' requirements at the end of the campaign though given the emergence of Januzaj.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What utter bollox , should England win a game and progress due to a dodgy penalty i bet you would be cheering when the net ripples ?

I can safely say, I wouldn't.

If we are working on generalisations, aren't we the nation who ignores the dodgy goal against the Germans and still talk about the hand of God?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I can safely say, I wouldn't.

If we are working on generalisations, aren't we the nation who ignores the dodgy goal against the Germans and still talk about the hand of God?

The difference is one was cheating and one was not.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The difference is one was cheating and one was not.

The Germans were cheated by an incorrect decision. We may have won or lost from that point, but it was a definite cheating.

Fair point. Ignore the England goal. We still bemoan the cheating Argie.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

thats exactly the point, the mixed emotions of scoring a goal from cheating. i'd rather not face such dilemas.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I wouldn't say he was rubbish, but he has certainly lost his way. The player at Villa could go past players and as well as being able to play out wide, was also able to play in the hole behind the central striker and when Martin O'Neill was their manager he seemed to be the player he built their team around. He just hasn't looked the same player in the 3 seasons since he went to United. I do tend to agree that he is likely to be surplus to Moyes' requirements at the end of the campaign though given the emergence of Januzaj.

I thought he was ok for Aston Villa, with a few outstanding performances (Everton away where he scored a 90+ minute winner in a 3-2 win on Sky). But he was never the £20million player Man Utd splashed out on. Such an ordinary and plodding player who really typified the dip in quality in the England team. Since he has been rightly out of the picture, England have improved dramatically.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Shocking dive, but also a very poor decision by the ref. Ultimately it will backfire, because at some point no ref is ever going to give him a penalty, whatever happens. Mind you I thought we had already reached that point...

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It wasn't a penalty. United should have been given a penalty about 10-15 minutes earlier though which appeared quite blatant where the Sociedad defender caught Shinji Kagawa which the referee deemed fair.

Probably why Young scammed his penalty - ref compensating for an earlier poor decision.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
At Villa he seemed to have the world at his feet and was on his way to becoming a great player. Unfortunatly he went to Utd and now is a bench-warmer at best and has got himself (rightly) a reputation for diving everytime he got into the box.

Too much too young? (lolz) I often wonder if players would be better off at a 'smaller' club while they are learning their trade. Had Zaha stayed with Palace or gone to one of the mid-table sides then he would be playing week-in-week-out and who knows how that would have worked out. Instead he is playing for Utd reserves.

The list of players like this is endless. Shaun Wright-Phillips is another one who springs to mind.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The Germans were cheated by an incorrect decision. We may have won or lost from that point, but it was a definite cheating.

Fair point. Ignore the England goal. We still bemoan the cheating Argie.

In probability, it was an incorrect decision but was the motive to cheat the Germans or was it just an error of judgement by the officials?

If you pull a player back in the box irrespective of force or whether the player goes over it is a penalty end of argument.

Absolute rubbish. I'm fed up with this attitude that if your touched in the penalty box then your are entitled to go down (await puns). Yes, if you are physically pulled back then that would be a penalty but looking at the replays, Young was merely touched by the other player with no force whatsoever. Pathetic.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
At Villa he seemed to have the world at his feet and was on his way to becoming a great player. Unfortunatly he went to Utd and now is a bench-warmer at best and has got himself (rightly) a reputation for diving everytime he got into the box.

Too much too young? (lolz) I often wonder if players would be better off at a 'smaller' club while they are learning their trade. Had Zaha stayed with Palace or gone to one of the mid-table sides then he would be playing week-in-week-out and who knows how that would have worked out. Instead he is playing for Utd reserves.

The list of players like this is endless. Shaun Wright-Phillips is another one who springs to mind.

I seem to remember him having a reputation for diving even when he was at villa.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I don't like cheating in any way - whether that be diving, accepting a corner/throw in when you know it wasn't etc.

But until officials and, probably more importantly, clubs clamp down on offenders it will continue.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The defender grabbed at and pulled Youngs arm so therefore a penalty. It was good to see that the ref had the ball to give it, it is a pity more dont have.

The defender grabbed at and pulled Youngs arm so therefore a penalty. It was good to see that the ref had the ball to give it, it is a pity more dont have.

He really didn't grab youngs arm. if you look you can see Young holding his arm out simulating contact exactly how they do it with their legs now.

Utter cheat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here