Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Cole

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Anyone who genuinely believes Ashley Cole would be a bad short term signing is a bellend.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Cole recalled the moment his agent, Jonathan Barnett revealed that Arsenal were 'only' willing to pay him £55,000 a week, rather than his desired £60,000 salary. "When I heard Jonathan repeat the figure of £55,000,' wrote Ashley, "I nearly swerved off the road. 'He is taking the piss Jonathan!' I yelled down the phone. I was so incensed. I was trembling with anger. I couldn't believe what I'd heard."

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cole recalled the moment his agent, Jonathan Barnett revealed that Arsenal were 'only' willing to pay him £55,000 a week, rather than his desired £60,000 salary. "When I heard Jonathan repeat the figure of £55,000,' wrote Ashley, "I nearly swerved off the road. 'He is taking the piss Jonathan!' I yelled down the phone. I was so incensed. I was trembling with anger. I couldn't believe what I'd heard."
But Arsenal were taking the pi$$, as proven by what Chelski were prepared to pay and what Cole achieved in football, with them.

The fact that it's an obscene amount of money for us is neither here or there.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
But Arsenal were taking the pi$$, as proven by what Chelski were prepared to pay and what Cole achieved in football, with them.

The fact that it's an obscene amount of money for us is neither here or there.

He was on £25k a week at the time and Arsenal offered £55k. Cole wanted £60k

Poor fella. Missing out in that extra 5k and only being offered more than double his current wage.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is more about his desire to continue playing than expected wages which offered wouldnt be high in comparison to his previous wages. Ability wise there is no question about that but he has never been quick even when young but his positional sense should be able to carry him through The problem would be a Buckley type winger hitting the ball to the corner and running. Perhaps he could cut them off before getting a cross in. All remains to be seen but a better option than we have at the moment. Would prefer Pocognoli due to age but wouldnt say no to Cole as emergency cover.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He was on £25k a week at the time and Arsenal offered £55k. Cole wanted £60k

Poor fella. Missing out in that extra 5k and only being offered more than double his current wage.

None of that is in doubt to us 'normal' people.

You work for considerably less than someone else is prepared to pay without being disgruntled.

That 'only' £5k a week equates to £260,000 a year, or £780,000 over a 3 year contract.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ability wise there is no question about that but he has never been quick even when young but his positional sense should be able to carry him through.

Never been quick? You're having laugh right? Pace was a big asset for Cole he regularly played against Europe's elite and from recollection was never taken to the cleaners. See his performance against Ronaldo against Portugal in Euro 2004 as evidence, he was often left exposed 2 against 1 due to England's shape but stopped anything worthwhile coming from that flank.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Never been quick? You're having laugh right? Pace was a big asset for Cole he regularly played against Europe's elite and from recollection was never taken to the cleaners. See his performance against Ronaldo against Portugal in Euro 2004 as evidence, he was often left exposed 2 against 1 due to England's shape but stopped anything worthwhile coming from that flank.

I think his greatest attribute was his ability to read the game and cut out balls before they reached the winger rather than s straight 20 yd dash to catch them. I remember talking to Chopper Harris who told me he retired because he knew he was a better player than the winger he was marking but they just hit th.e ball past him and ran. That was the time to retire.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So moves to bitter rivals. Charming guy.

hahaha you'll turn down £780,000 out of loyalty to your currently employer who is actually trying to stiff you out of the £780,000.

Mug.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I think his greatest attribute was his ability to read the game and cut out balls before they reached the winger rather than s straight 20 yd dash to catch them. I remember talking to Chopper Harris who told me he retired because he knew he was a better player than the winger he was marking but they just hit th.e ball past him and ran. That was the time to retire.

Cole's pace was a massive part of his game, not sure what player you remember watching? Chris Powell?

He did read the game well, but he had the pace to back this up.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Very few would have beaten him in a 20 yard dash in his pomp.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I didnt think he seemed that quick more reliant on positional play but could be wrong but none the less Englands best left back for many a time and discounted with JT too early prior to World Cup.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
It is more about his desire to continue playing than expected wages which offered wouldnt be high in comparison to his previous wages. Ability wise there is no question about that but he has never been quick even when young but his positional sense should be able to carry him through The problem would be a Buckley type winger hitting the ball to the corner and running. Perhaps he could cut them off before getting a cross in. All remains to be seen but a better option than we have at the moment. Would prefer Pocognoli due to age but wouldnt say no to Cole as emergency cover.

Not quick even when young? He was incredibly quick as I recall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here