Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
my foot doctor while I was living in the nether regions was an ex Plymouth player albeit for a very short time (goalkeeper) and the first time I had an appointment with him we were talking and the first words out of his mouth when he knew I supported the Albion were" Jesus you stole Barnes of us" and I asked the selling price he did not know only that it was cheap the next time I saw him 6 months later he reckoned it was 60k which fits in with what has already been said
he also reckoned whatever we paid it was the biggest smash and grab we have made

he is a very decent player ......................and now is his time to step up to the plate and try and keep his temper and channel it into goals

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
VALUE FOR MONEY
OFFICIAL TABLE.
Featuring questionable maths, and ignoring all other contributions on the pitch.

Ashley Barnes:
£10,443 per goal at 0.32 goals per game.

Craig Mackail-Smith:
£119,048 per goal at 0.26 goals per game.*

Glenn Murray:
£5357 per goal at 0.42 goals per game.

:nono:

*This was being generous and using the lower £2.5m estimate.

Last edited:

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
It's sense Uolla heading the attack with Barnes midfield dropping in to support

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
......................and now is his time to step up to the plate and try and keep his temper and channel it into goals

This is no time to be taking risks on ifs and maybes, we need proven ability and goalscoring to push us on in the final business end of the season.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
VALUE FOR MONEY
OFFICIAL TABLE.
Featuring questionable maths, and ignoring all other contributions on the pitch.

Ashley Barnes:
£10,443 per goal at 0.32 goals per game.

Craig Mackail-Smith:
£119,048 per goal at 0.26 goals per game.*

Glenn Murray:
£5357 per goal at 0.42 goals per game.

:nono:

*This was being generous and using the lower £2.5m estimate.

Questionable, alright!

Ashley Barnes cost £100k and has scored 39 goals. £2560 per goal :thumbsup:

Ulloa's Soul Patch

The Cyclone!
Mar 5, 2013
Just above the chin.
Barnes provides a link between the Midfielder and the Strikers that only Orlandi and Vicente can provide aswell. So if one of them is playing I'll be happy.
Barnes is not a striker though, more of an Attacking-Midfielder

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The "falling forward at the slightest touch" routine is almost comical now but he wins a fair amount of free kicks that way and you can only assume Gus approves.

I agree Barnes is technically behind some of our flair players but I'm genuinely impressed with his continued improvement. He's had some great touches this season and when he's got a bit of confidence he more than holds his own at this level. I certainly don't agree with those who dismiss him as a League 1 player.

I totally agree with yur post ...and find it interesting that most peeps seem to forget about SD's falling over

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Barnes is not a striker though, more of an Attacking-Midfielder

Barnes has been PLAYED as an attacking midfielder to fit Gus' system but came to us as an out and out striker. He still considers himself a central striker when given the opportunity according to an interview in a recent (Burnley or Hudds?) programme

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Who were you thinking of re proven ability etc
I dont know,... Gus will of course, but a prem fringe player who can perform at this level,.... expensive but worth it. No time for a player who is young and developing, it has to be an established player.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Handy to have to come off the bench if we are leading and want to turn the game negative to keep the three points!

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Out of most of our players I think Barnes links up best with Vicente,he also looked good along side Alloa against Arsenal,so for me he's absolutely essential to our play off hopes,just hope he keeps his head and on his day could definitely be a match winner for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here